Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 10-31-2008   #7

Default Re: DTS MA DD TruHD and BDP-S550

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Junky View Post
When fed uncompressed PCM or LPCM, it simply displays "Multi-channel" (or something like that). The bottom line is that I cannot tell if the receiver is getting fed LPCM or Uncompressed PCM.
That's because their is no difference. The reason your receiver say Multi-Channel is the player put the bitstream into LPCM, so it is not recognized as DTYS HD or Dolby TrueHD, but the sound is identical. I do like to see the label Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD Master Audio though, so I prefer bitstream, and it seems that is becoming the standard. Ironic that we've had this format for ~2 years and we are just now establishing a standard!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008   #8

I found I have to keep my Denon 3808CI in Auto mode; neither PCM nor bitstream would work. And I have my player (Samsung BD-P1500) outputting bitstream. This seems to work well for me.
pws442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008   #9

The table on page 66 shows what the player outputs for each format, for each output method. If you look at the HDMI column, it states "LPCM 7.1" for almost every format. That means it is output in LPCM through the HDMI interface.

Look, however, at the "Multi Channel Output" column. It simply states 7.1. Assuming the graph is accurate, it seems that the only way to truely get a lossless decoding from the player, for instance DTS Master HD, is through it's analog outputs. You would assume that DTS Master HD decoded signal would still be better than regular DTS, but I can't really speak to it as I have always had a receiver that did the decoding.

Most of the player's manuals have a similar graph. I always go online and look at the manual for the player that I'm wanting to get, and look at this graph to see if there is any insight into how the players decodes the audio.

It's not really straightforward, but if you get a receiver/preamp that does the decoding and handle it through the bitstream method, it seems to work every time.
HT Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008   #10
wes

Cool Re: DTS MA DD TruHD and BDP-S550

Quote:
The table on page 66 shows what the player outputs for each format, for each output method. If you look at the HDMI column, it states "LPCM 7.1" for almost every format. That means it is output in LPCM through the HDMI interface.
But the he fine print (*5) state the following "When BD audio setting is set to "Direct" audio recorded by the source is output by bitstream.

- Receiver doesn't support any of the new codec but support MultiChannel LPCM then up to 7.1 ch is output

- Receiver doesn't support HD or Multi ch LPCM then DD and DTS bitstream is output

Quote:
Look, however, at the "Multi Channel Output" column. It simply states 7.1. Assuming the graph is accurate, it seems that the only way to truely get a lossless decoding from the player, for instance DTS Master HD, is through it's analog outputs. You would assume that DTS Master HD decoded signal would still be better than regular DTS, but I can't really speak to it as I have always had a receiver that did the decoding.
Analogue Multi Channel Output: 7.1 does that mean LPCM loosless format or compressed format?

Quote:
It's not really straightforward, but if you get a receiver/preamp that does the decoding and handle it through the bitstream method, it seems to work every time.
Agreed so I need to get a new receiver so I will know for sure when I see the DD tru HD or DTS Master Audio come up on the receiver?
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008   #11

Doesn`t that always seem to be the case kenny. New technology becomes available, then, no one can agree to which way to implement it.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008   #12
wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
Doesn`t that always seem to be the case kenny. New technology becomes available, then, no one can agree to which way to implement it.

Why can't they make it more straight forward.
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
3808, analog, bdps550, bluray, decode, decoder, denon, dts, dtsma, ma, player, receiver, s550, sony, truhd