Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Blu-ray Players (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-players-24/)
-   -   Sony's $399 Profile 2.0 BDP-S550 Blu-ray player now shipping (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-players/2619-sonys-399-profile-2-0-bdp-s550-blu-ray-player-now-shipping.html)

TheMoose 10-11-2008 01:28 PM

Sony's $399 Profile 2.0 BDP-S550 Blu-ray player now shipping
 
Sony's $399 Profile 2.0 BDP-S550 Blu-ray player now shipping

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadgeth...p-s550-big.jpg

Now that Sony's BDP-S350 is all taken care of with that BD-Live-enabling update, the focus shifts to its mightier sibling. The BDP-S550, which was announced way back at a Sony event in late February, is finally shipping. Granted, it's still hard to find in some places, but Sony's own website has 'em in stock and ready to ship within a few business days. $399.99 will get you full 1080p BD output, DVD upscaling via HDMI, 7.1-channel analog audio outputs, Dolby TrueHD internal decoding, BD-Live / BonusView support, BRAVIA Sync and a swank Discovery Channel Blu-ray Disc. Can't beat that with a stick, huh?

wes 10-21-2008 05:09 PM

Sony's BDP-S550 Blu-ray player on Amazon for $329
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMoose (Post 18102)
Sony's $399 Profile 2.0 BDP-S550 Blu-ray player now shipping

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadgeth...p-s550-big.jpg

Sony's own website has 'em in stock and ready to ship within a few business days. $399.99 Amazon have them on sale at $329 will get you full 1080p BD output, DVD upscaling via HDMI, 7.1-channel analog audio outputs, Dolby TrueHD internal decoding, BD-Live / BonusView support, BRAVIA Sync and a swank Discovery Channel Blu-ray Disc. Can't beat that with a stick, huh?

Just bought it on amazon for $329 :)

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-S550-...4634268&sr=8-1

TheMoose 10-21-2008 06:39 PM

Re: Sony's BDP-S550 Blu-ray player on Amazon for $329
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wes (Post 18238)
Just bought it on amazon for $329 :)

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-S550-...4634268&sr=8-1

Great!
Make sure & give us a full report.

I'm still waiting for a standalone until I can find something significantly better than my playstation 3.

wes 10-21-2008 08:14 PM

Re: Sony's BDP-S550 Blu-ray player on Amazon for $329
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMoose (Post 18241)
Great!
Make sure & give us a full report.

I'm still waiting for a standalone until I can find something significantly better than my playstation 3.

Will try

kennyt 10-22-2008 02:35 AM

Re: Sony's $399 Profile 2.0 BDP-S550 Blu-ray player now shipping
 
I bought the BDP-S350 a week ago.

It too is BD 2.0 capable (you need to update the firmware and add at least 1G USB Flash drive, minor cost as last time I was in CompUSA an 8G was $14....

The load times are the best I've seen, it even loaded Pirates of the Caribbean almost instantly, and the response to control is also on par with standard DVD players. I think Sony has finally made a Blu-ray player that works GREAT!

FWIW Moose, you don't need the 550, the 350 is all you'd need as your receiver handles bitstream for all the new codecs, the 550 just adds the internal memory and analog outputs (though it only decodes Dolby TrueHD via them, DTS HD MA and HR only come out bitstream from both.

TheMoose 10-22-2008 07:46 AM

Re: Sony's $399 Profile 2.0 BDP-S550 Blu-ray player now shipping
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 18244)
I bought the BDP-S350 a week ago.

It too is BD 2.0 capable (you need to update the firmware and add at least 1G USB Flash drive, minor cost as last time I was in CompUSA an 8G was $14....

The load times are the best I've seen, it even loaded Pirates of the Caribbean almost instantly, and the response to control is also on par with standard DVD players. I think Sony has finally made a Blu-ray player that works GREAT!

FWIW Moose, you don't need the 550, the 350 is all you'd need as your receiver handles bitstream for all the new codecs, the 550 just adds the internal memory and analog outputs (though it only decodes Dolby TrueHD via them, DTS HD MA and HR only come out bitstream from both.

Are you noticing a difference in audio & video quality over the PS3?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:44 AM.


1996-2008 AVRev.com | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use


SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1