Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 09-24-2008   #1
rex

Default New Panasonic DMP-BD55 for $399

Panasonic DMP-BD55 (DMPBD55K) Blu-ray Player On Sale for $399 (Pre-Order)
By Big Picture Big Sound Deal Meister
2008-09-24 09:48:25 http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Pa...r_399_95.shtml

We love the unrelenting advancement of technology. When they first came out just a few short years ago, Blu-ray Disc players sold for upwards of $1,000. They were slow to load, awkward to use, and limited in features. Sure, Blu-ray Discs looked amazing in all their 1080p glory, but there was limited support for advanced audio codecs from DTS and Dolby, no multi-channel analog outputs for compatibility with pre-HDMI A/V receivers, no support for internet connectivity and no support for BonusView (PIP commentary).

All that has changed. Now you can pre-order Panasonic's latest 4th generation Blu-ray Disc player, the DMP-BD55 (or DMP-BD55K as it's also called) for under $400 and it kicks the first and second generation BD players right in the tuchas! Note that right now, the price is listed as $499.99 from a vendor other than Amazon, but if you look on the right of the page you'll see "More Buying Options" where you can pre-order the unit from Amazon itself (an authorized Panasonic dealer) for just $399.95 with free shipping.

Panasonic's DMP-BD55 is the top Blu-ray Player in their fourth generation model line. The DMP-BD55K features 5.1 or 7.1-channel analog audio outputs for compatibility with non-HDMI-equipped receivers and preamp/processors. We've seen an early demo of the DMP-BD55 and it looks like it offers even better video performance than its predecessors, the DMP-BD50 and DMP-BD30 so pre-order it from Amazon.com now before they change their minds!

DMP-BD55K Key Features

BD-Live: Enjoy Additional Content via Internet (requires optional SD card)
PHL Reference Chroma Processor Plus
High Precision 4:4:4 color processing: Experience the Original Movie Quality
P4HD: Advanced Picture Processing for 1080p (including 1080p/24 output for Blu-ray and standard DVD)
7.1-channel Lossless Decode & 7.1-channel HDMI/Analog Output
On-board decoding or bitstreaming of Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio and DTS-HD Master Audio
Advanced, High Quality Sound Enhances Blu-ray® Experience
96Hz Surround Re-Master
VIERA Link™: Control All of Your AV Devices With One Remote
SD Memory Card Slot: Enjoy Precious Memories in HD (Photos and Video)
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008   #2

Question Re: New Panasonic DMP-BD55 for $399

I just bought the Panasonic DMP-BD55 at Circuit City for $399. I have a Denon 3805 reciever coupled with a Mitsubishi WD55 (1080i max) Rear Projection Wide Screen TV. Both Denon and Mits are non HDMI units so I have everything hooked up thru Component Video and TosLink audio. I'm not sure whether I'm upconverting to 1080i with standard DVD's or whether I'm getting 1080i with Blu Ray Discs either. I'm not inclined to spend another $4K to buy a new HDMI Receiver and TV, but I want to maximize my experience with my existing equipment. Should I hook up the audio via analog instead of TosLink? Any ideas.
topshag01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008   #3

Default Re: New Panasonic DMP-BD55 for $399

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshag01 View Post
I just bought the Panasonic DMP-BD55 at Circuit City for $399. I have a Denon 3805 reciever coupled with a Mitsubishi WD55 (1080i max) Rear Projection Wide Screen TV. Both Denon and Mits are non HDMI units so I have everything hooked up thru Component Video and TosLink audio. I'm not sure whether I'm upconverting to 1080i with standard DVD's or whether I'm getting 1080i with Blu Ray Discs either. I'm not inclined to spend another $4K to buy a new HDMI Receiver and TV, but I want to maximize my experience with my existing equipment. Should I hook up the audio via analog instead of TosLink? Any ideas.
Toslink will only give you lossy Dolby Digital & DTS 5.1.
I think you cam get lossless through the analog if it can be processed by the BD55 which it should be able to do.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008   #4

Question Re: New Panasonic DMP-BD55 for $399

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
Toslink will only give you lossy Dolby Digital & DTS 5.1.
I think you cam get lossless through the analog if it can be processed by the BD55 which it should be able to do.
I was trying to keep my Pioneer Elite still connected for it's analog audio as it plays SACD, and DVD-Audio. My Denon seems to be limited to one analog connection. I may have to sacrafice the Peioneer Elite as I didn't have a huge collection of multichannel music anyway.

Back to the Video. Can I play 1080i with Component connections??????
Old 11-10-2008   #5
wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshag01 View Post
I just bought the Panasonic DMP-BD55 at Circuit City for $399.
Sorry, Amazon sells it for $329 tax free and free shipping. I have the same prblem you do I have a Sony BDP-S550 and an Sony SCD-X777ES SACD player and my pre/pro doesn't have HDMi so for now I can only plug one of them to get multichannel audio !

Soon I am going to upgrade the pre/pro and get one that has HDMi 1.3 so I can plug in using HDMi rather than analogue.

Also Sony SCD-XA5400ES is supposed to be awesome
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
Sorry, Amazon sells it for $329 tax free and free shipping. I have the same prblem you do I have a Sony BDP-S550 and an Sony SCD-X777ES SACD player and my pre/pro doesn't have HDMi so for now I can only plug one of them to get multichannel audio !

Soon I am going to upgrade the pre/pro and get one that has HDMi 1.3 so I can plug in using HDMi rather than analogue.

Also Sony SCD-XA5400ES is supposed to be awesome
I'm questioning the Circuit City purchase as they are filing for chapter 11, and I opted for the 3 yr warranty. Although, I heard that warranty issues were more of a pain with Amazon.com Best Buy carries them as well.

Also, here's an exerpt from a review by Sound and Vision which indicates that one can receive 1080i using component video.

"As I watched Transformers on Blu-ray, the BD55s picture looked remarkably detailed and punchy. In a scene where Sam Witwicky (Shia LaBeouf) flips over the handlebars of the girls bike hes riding past a prominently placed Burger King, the pink bike and red/orange signage in the background looked vivid and clean. And when the mysterious muscle car thats been chasing him enters the scene, its yellow body paint displayed a wide range of finely delineated hues. The same scenes viewed in 1080i using the players component-video output looked notably softer when compared with HDMI, but thats often the case with Blu-ray players and other high-def sources."

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blu...sc-player.html
Sponsored Links

Tags
bad, bd55, buy, component, dmp, dmpbd55, dmpbd55k, find, forum, output, panasonic, play, plays, sacd, sale