Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Blu-ray Players (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-players-24/)
-   -   Samsung's BD-P1500 Blu-ray player dips under $200 (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-players/2527-samsungs-bd-p1500-blu-ray-player-dips-under-200-a.html)

TheMoose 09-22-2008 10:57 AM

Samsung's BD-P1500 Blu-ray player dips under $200

First a Sony Blu ray player for under $200 & now a Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray for under $200

From Engadget

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.en...p1500-sale.jpg

We want to say that it has begun, but we're still thinking it's a touch early to suggest the $200 barrier is collapsing before our very eyes. Not even 24 hours after Sony's BDP-S300 fell to under $200 at Amazon, Samsung's respectable BD-P1500 has now done the same over at RadioShack. The $299.99 player becomes $199.99 instantly when added to one's cart, and according to the promotional fine print, the additional $100 off will be valid until September 27th. The real question is: will the "sale" be extended?

The Kipnis Studios 09-22-2008 06:40 PM

Re: Samsung's BD-P1500 Blu-ray player dips under $200

This is the beginning of the end!

There is no way BD can last more than another 2 years, given new and upcoming bandwidth capabilities for downloads. It's already happening with HD Music!

TheMoose 09-22-2008 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Kipnis Studios (Post 17797)
This is the beginning of the end!

There is no way BD can last more than another 2 years, given new and upcoming bandwidth capabilities for downloads. It's already happening with HD Music!

Have you not heard of bandwidth caps?
Until internet speeds get fast enough for quick downloads at a cheap price without caps, HD downloads doesn't have a chance.
I'm not paying $15 for a compressed HD download with lossy audio that's full of DRM, takes 8 hours to download & pretty much wipes out my monthly download cap.
I'll stick with my 1080p Blu-Rays with lossless audio that I can play anywhere I want as many times as I want.

The Kipnis Studios 09-22-2008 07:51 PM

BD is as soon as DEAD!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMoose (Post 17803)
Have you not heard of bandwidth caps?
Until internet speeds get fast enough for quick downloads at a cheap price without caps, HD downloads doesn't have a chance.
I'm not paying $15 for a compressed HD download with lossy audio that's full of DRM, takes 8 hours to download & pretty much wipes out my monthly download cap.

I can down-load unlimited material (through Optonline - CT Cablevision) at 1.7 MegaBytes per second (even though they say 30 MBPS - LIARS!!!) to the tune of $1200 a year, and this is sufficient to watch LOST in 720P free of charge - plus all the other HD based material (both for sale and as a free exhibition), which is better than I can see quality wise on HD ABC-TV, through HD Antenna, Cable, or Satellite!

Now if you want to talk about the future . . .

Lotus 09-23-2008 01:10 PM

Re: BD is as soon as DEAD!

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Kipnis Studios (Post 17804)
I can down-load unlimited material (through Optonline - CT Cablevision) at 1.7 MegaBytes per second (even though they say 30 MBPS - LIARS!!!) to the tune of $1200 a year, and this is sufficient to watch LOST in 720P free of charge - plus all the other HD based material (both for sale and as a free exhibition), which is better than I can see quality wise on HD ABC-TV, through HD Antenna, Cable, or Satellite!

Now if you want to talk about the future . . .

I watched a movie on DISH in 1080p. It was actually pretty nice.

As for downloads becoming a viable option.... not for another 3 or 4 years. Internet speeds are not up to it just yet.

busyhands 09-23-2008 08:52 PM

Back to the topic: Amazon's price on the Sony must have been a one-day promotion, because it's already back up to $299. Likewise, if the Samsung at RS only has the $100 price break in the fine print, I would bet that it's going away soon, too.

Bring me a real, full-time under-$200 BD player and I will start considering it (assuming the media goes down, as well).