Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 09-22-2008   #1

Default Samsung's BD-P1500 Blu-ray player dips under $200

First a Sony Blu ray player for under $200 & now a Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray for under $200

From Engadget

We want to say that it has begun, but we're still thinking it's a touch early to suggest the $200 barrier is collapsing before our very eyes. Not even 24 hours after Sony's BDP-S300 fell to under $200 at Amazon, Samsung's respectable BD-P1500 has now done the same over at RadioShack. The $299.99 player becomes $199.99 instantly when added to one's cart, and according to the promotional fine print, the additional $100 off will be valid until September 27th. The real question is: will the "sale" be extended?
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #2

Default Re: Samsung's BD-P1500 Blu-ray player dips under $200

This is the beginning of the end!

There is no way BD can last more than another 2 years, given new and upcoming bandwidth capabilities for downloads. It's already happening with HD Music!

Jeremy

The Kipnis Studios
www.Kipnis-Studios.com

Video Calibration Labs
www.VideoCalibration.com

Epiphany Recordings Ltd.
www.EpiphanyRecordings.com

----------

KSS DL.TV Video Feature (NEW)
http://www.kipnis-studios.com/The_Ki...TV_-_6_08.html
The Kipnis Studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kipnis Studios View Post
This is the beginning of the end!

There is no way BD can last more than another 2 years, given new and upcoming bandwidth capabilities for downloads. It's already happening with HD Music!
Have you not heard of bandwidth caps?
Until internet speeds get fast enough for quick downloads at a cheap price without caps, HD downloads doesn't have a chance.
I'm not paying $15 for a compressed HD download with lossy audio that's full of DRM, takes 8 hours to download & pretty much wipes out my monthly download cap.
I'll stick with my 1080p Blu-Rays with lossless audio that I can play anywhere I want as many times as I want.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #4

Exclamation BD is as soon as DEAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
Have you not heard of bandwidth caps?
Until internet speeds get fast enough for quick downloads at a cheap price without caps, HD downloads doesn't have a chance.
I'm not paying $15 for a compressed HD download with lossy audio that's full of DRM, takes 8 hours to download & pretty much wipes out my monthly download cap.
I can down-load unlimited material (through Optonline - CT Cablevision) at 1.7 MegaBytes per second (even though they say 30 MBPS - LIARS!!!) to the tune of $1200 a year, and this is sufficient to watch LOST in 720P free of charge - plus all the other HD based material (both for sale and as a free exhibition), which is better than I can see quality wise on HD ABC-TV, through HD Antenna, Cable, or Satellite!

Now if you want to talk about the future . . .

Jeremy

The Kipnis Studios
www.Kipnis-Studios.com

Video Calibration Labs
www.VideoCalibration.com

Epiphany Recordings Ltd.
www.EpiphanyRecordings.com

----------

KSS DL.TV Video Feature (NEW)
http://www.kipnis-studios.com/The_Ki...TV_-_6_08.html
The Kipnis Studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008   #5

Default Re: BD is as soon as DEAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kipnis Studios View Post
I can down-load unlimited material (through Optonline - CT Cablevision) at 1.7 MegaBytes per second (even though they say 30 MBPS - LIARS!!!) to the tune of $1200 a year, and this is sufficient to watch LOST in 720P free of charge - plus all the other HD based material (both for sale and as a free exhibition), which is better than I can see quality wise on HD ABC-TV, through HD Antenna, Cable, or Satellite!

Now if you want to talk about the future . . .
I watched a movie on DISH in 1080p. It was actually pretty nice.

As for downloads becoming a viable option.... not for another 3 or 4 years. Internet speeds are not up to it just yet.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008   #6

Back to the topic: Amazon's price on the Sony must have been a one-day promotion, because it's already back up to $299. Likewise, if the Samsung at RS only has the $100 price break in the fine print, I would bet that it's going away soon, too.

Bring me a real, full-time under-$200 BD player and I will start considering it (assuming the media goes down, as well).
busyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
200, audio, bdp1500, blu, bluray, buy, costco, optonline, player, players, projectors, ray, sacddvd, sale, samsung, under200