Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Blu-ray Players (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-players-24/)
-   -   $269 Blu-Ray player from Memorex (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-players/2516-269-blu-ray-player-memorex.html)

TheMoose 09-18-2008 09:46 AM

$269 Blu-Ray player from Memorex

Memorex MVBD 2510 Blu-Ray player for $269

From Engadget,
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.en..._mvbd-2510.jpg
Right, so we're pretty stoked about having one more option in the sub-$300 Blu-ray deck club, but the lack of Profile 2.0 (which is only the latest, most up-to-date Profile, you know) is a real bummer. That aside, the BonusView-enabled MVBD-2510 doesn't seem like a half bad attempt from Memorex. It features audio decoding for Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, and DTS-HD High Resolution along with Master Audio bitstream output. You'll also find 5.1 analog audio outputs, a white LED display and a few brushed metal accents to jazz it up externally. Look for it this November beside a whole host of new Memorex cleaning supplies.

Like I've said before, it looks like sub $200 Blu-ray players by the holidays.

deacongreg 09-21-2008 06:41 PM

Re: $269 Blu-Ray player from Memorex

Seems like your probably right. Lets hope however that they will not skimp on the most important features.

Lotus 09-21-2008 08:34 PM

These are all the same Funai player are they not?

It's branded "Sylvania," "Magnavox," and "Memorex," but it's the same player. This is the best price point of a cheap Chinese player: $258 (Magnavox at Sam's Club).

We will not be seeing sub $200 players by Christmas. The cost of a BD player is right around that. So we won't see one priced there yet. Maybe next summer.

Of course some of these Chinese units could be discounted to that price for the holiday shopping season. I'd be more inclined to believe in a $220 price point though.

TheMoose 09-21-2008 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lotus (Post 17767)

It's branded "Sylvania," "Magnavox," and "Memorex," but it's the same player. This is the best price point of a cheap Chinese player: $258 (Magnavox at Sam's Club).

We will not be seeing sub $200 players by Christmas. The cost of a BD player is right around that. So we won't see one priced there yet. Maybe next summer.

Of course some of these Chinese units could be discounted to that price for the holiday shopping season. I'd be more inclined to believe in a $220 price point though.

Wrong Again!
Sub $200 Blu-Ray players are here now & it's a Sony!
Check out this thread!

TheMoose 09-22-2008 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lotus (Post 17767)

Oh Snap!
Now the Samsung BD-P1500 is less than $200!

Lotus 09-22-2008 12:08 PM

Uh no. These are $299 units. Try again. These are discounts, not official pricing. Amazon is trying to rid itself of the older units. Radioshack is trying to get business. Both are breaking even selling the units at $199.

The Funai players are $269 MSRP (again save $11 at Sam's Club and Costco).

See the difference? Thus my comment that during the Holidays they may be discounted to around $220. I don't see actual official pricing dropping to $199 until next Spring. Right now they have to increase production of a few units used to manufacture the players and thus reduce manufacturing costs. Right now a $199 player is impossible. It's even impossible for a company that eliminates the middle man like Emotiva and Outlaw (both have looked into it).

If Sony dropped the unit to $199 officially to get rid of the rest of the units then you'd have a legit sub $200 unit. However it would be temporary.