Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Blu-ray Players (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-players-24/)
-   -   Any BD Players support DVD-A? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-players/2355-any-bd-players-support-dvd.html)

pws442 08-23-2008 10:49 AM

Any BD Players support DVD-A?

How about it? Can I play my DVD-As on any of the Blu-ray players out there? Via the HDMI 1.3 cable?

wes 08-23-2008 10:01 PM

Re: Any BD Players support DVD-A?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pws442 (Post 17215)
How about it? Can I play my DVD-As on any of the Blu-ray players out there? Via the HDMI 1.3 cable?

Unfortunately no!

JerryDelColliano 08-24-2008 11:00 AM

You would think that HDMI would solve EVERY concern that labels had about copy protection yet they refuse to support the format and or release music on Blu-ray. Silly.

Electronics companies are equally silly when they suggest that a "disc player" of any sort can play SOME discs but not ALL legacy discs...

A Blu-ray player should play EVERYTHING (CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video and beyond) but they don't yet. Lame.

wes 08-24-2008 11:18 PM

Quote:

Nope, but SACDs with the PS3 60GB or 80GB

Enoch 09-04-2008 10:06 PM

Uhhhgggg!

TheMoose 09-05-2008 07:40 PM

Quote:

Here's you a possibility,

Oppo BDPS83 Blu-Ray player

From Gizmodo

Oppo, pimps of the upscaling DVD realm and makers of one of the best (and last) SACD/DVD-Audio capable machines out there, are moving into the Blu-ray business with the BDP-S83 player. There are no announced deets, but an AVS Forum member spotted this unit at CEDIA. And from what we can see in this image and the back shot below, the feature set is laid out clearly, and something's unusual about it.

First, we can tell it's going to be a step up from the bottom rung due to the presence of Ethernet port—signifying BD-Live (Blu-ray Profile 2.0) capability—and analog 7.1 outputs. But what takes it beyond other players are the SACD and DVD-Audio logos on there. No current Blu-ray player can handle both of those formats as well as BD, DVD and CD.

OK, yes, we're thinking what you're thinking: The number of people who have collections of SACD and DVD-Audio is surely smaller than the number of people with HD DVD libraries—perhaps Oppo should have gone the full distance and put in HD DVD reading capability too. (We'll be sure to ask them when they start talking about this product.)

Given the visible feature set and Oppo's reputation in the upscaling world, we assume this will be one damn fine BD player. But I'll just say right now that it won't be cheap.