Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 08-14-2008   #13

Default Re: Criterion Collection uses PS3 as reference Blu-ray player

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
And how much did that cost?
I've been looking at Blu-ray drives for my computer but in my case I can't really see a reason since I would much rather watch Blu-ray movies on my 70" TV instead of my 24" computer monitor.
Cost me about 180.00 (My computer was already up to Blu-ray snuff so I just added the drive and in less than a year's time - that drive is selling for $105.00) I watch BD's on a 42 inch 1080p Monitor and when I really want to look at it - The 106 inch screen comes down. All of this is hooked to my PC via HDMI (I have a HDMI splitter so I don't get affected by the HDCP same signal going to two different montiors issue).

BD burners are now under $250.00! Soon it will be the same story as it was in DVD land, 800.00 PC defeats 4000.00 dvd player only this time - $750.00 PC defeats (insert BD player ). When the Xonar hits the street with its user upgradable DACs!!!??? The PC will be hard to be for PQ and AQ. If you need to score a good price on one PM me Moose. I'm not calling the PS3 bad - I'm just calling the PC great !
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodedofome View Post
To say the PS3 has the processing power (and implementation) of a $3500 video processor is silly, just look at the upconverting capability and HQV tests.
You realize the cost of a product is not relative to its abilities, right?
Old 08-21-2008   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
The real problem with Criterion isn't their choice of disc-playback hardware, it's been their choice of *monitors*.

Watching a 1080p Blu-ray Disc, via any player on the market, from a viewing angle of 2 screen-widths or greater on a small 1080p plasma or CRT isn't going to reveal the Halmark problems of Criterion DVDs: Edge-Enhancement and lack of fine detail.

Crtierion needs to get with the program and get a 1080p front-projection system where they can critically evaluate detail/resolution issues from a screen with of 1.25 or wider to ensure that their masters are as transparent as possible.

Then, use CRT to evaluate black level and contrast as a separate exercise. Using small CRT displays as the overall evaluation tool is useless when you're trying to replicate theatrical viewing angles in the home from, what could be, a visually transparent 1080p medium.
I just don't understand how Joe Kane can continue to promote single chip DLP projectors, even his own from Samsung.

And what is with the white ceiling and carpet? That looks like a huge amount of splash-back washing out the blacks on screen!

Jeremy

The Kipnis Studios
www.Kipnis-Studios.com

Video Calibration Labs
www.VideoCalibration.com

Epiphany Recordings Ltd.
www.EpiphanyRecordings.com

----------

KSS DL.TV Video Feature (NEW)
http://www.kipnis-studios.com/The_Ki...TV_-_6_08.html
The Kipnis Studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1080p, 192k, blu, calibration, criterion, downsampling, dvd, dvdo, hdtv, plasma, player, ps3, ray, video, vp50