Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 08-14-2008   #7

Default Re: Criterion Collection uses PS3 as reference Blu-ray player

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodedofome View Post
You must have had a bad unit or not set up right, the VP-50 Pro is highly reviewed and the technology it has is in the Oppo 983 dvd player which is known to be about the best (video quality) you can get. To say the PS3 has the processing power (and implementation) of a $3500 video processor is silly, just look at the upconverting capability and HQV tests.
The VP-50 Pro is good, but it is not the holy grail of video processing. There are better units within $1-2k of its price. And to say that a Funai player would give the same results is just ludicrous. The transport is an important part of any disc player, dropped data at the transport is gone forever. It can be masked, but never replaced. Let's not forget what high FIDELITY really means.

BTW, the Oppo is just okay as a DVD player. Most of the the tests in the DVD Benchmark everyone refers to are frame-rate and responsiveness tests. That's great, so it can handle bad edits and screwed up cadences, that makes up a few dozen frames of a given movie. During the other 325,000 frames, the actual picture quality on that player is ok at best. The Denon players, which also did well on that test, actually have good picture quality, but no one wants to hear that because they don't cost $129.99 on ebay.
AudAdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008   #8

Quote:
Yeah, and everyone is failing to mention they also own a DVDO VP-50 Pro video processor, so the PS3 is nothing more than a transport. Heck a Funai blu-ray player would give the same results.
Yea & what your forgetting is the PS3 is one of the only profile 2.0 players on the market right now, it's constantly being updated, has the fastest loading times, is the most dependable players on the market and it can decode all of the lossless audio formats.
While it might not have the absolute best picture quality it's still better than most players including some priced much higher.

I know some people have a hard time accepting a "game console" as a Blu-Ray player but do you seriously think a Funai player will give the same results?
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008   #9

Quote:
You must have had a bad unit or not set up right, the VP-50 Pro is highly reviewed and the technology it has is in the Oppo 983 dvd player which is known to be about the best (video quality) you can get. To say the PS3 has the processing power (and implementation) of a $3500 video processor is silly, just look at the upconverting capability and HQV tests.
No problem, we just have a difference of opinion. I was fully aware of the reviews, did a ton of research before pulling the trigger. The unit was set-up properly. I spent a good deal of time on my own with it (which may be worth a whole lotta nothing), and then a professional calibrator came over and spent some time with it. From what I understand, the biggest difference can be seen on with a front projector and a large screen (e.g., 100" and greater). If you're getting a benefit commensurate with the cost of the unit, more power to you. BTW, I hope you didn't pay $3,500 for the DVDO.

Happy viewing.

Last edited by jjgasp; 08-14-2008 at 07:15 PM..
jjgasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008   #10

Cool Re: Criterion Collection uses PS3 as reference Blu-ray player

Quote:
Yeah, and everyone is failing to mention they also own a DVDO VP-50 Pro video processor, so the PS3 is nothing more than a transport. Heck a Funai blu-ray player would give the same results.
+1
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
Yea & what your forgetting is the PS3 is one of the only profile 2.0 players on the market right now, it's constantly being updated, has the fastest loading times, is the most dependable players on the market and it can decode all of the lossless audio formats.
While it might not have the absolute best picture quality it's still better than most players including some priced much higher.

I know some people have a hard time accepting a "game console" as a Blu-Ray player but do you seriously think a Funai player will give the same results?
My player is 2.0 and its not a PS3. My player loads faster than the PS3 (3 - 5 seconds) and can decode all the lossless codecs (still have downsampling on some things but that will be remedied very shortly). It's my PC And it has better PQ than a PS3 (you know - upconversion and all - and I also can do 1080p stuff too )

Edit: Oh I forgot - I have implimented the temporary fix to down sampling found in Vista itself (re-upsample as high as 192khz/24bit) I'm also getting the Xonar HDAV 1.3 when it hits the shelves.

Last edited by prerich; 08-14-2008 at 07:19 PM..
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
My player is 2.0 and its not a PS3. My player loads faster than the PS3 (3 - 5 seconds) and can decode all the lossless codecs (still have downsampling on some things but that will be remedied very shortly). It's my PC And it has better PQ than a PS3 (you know - upconversion and all - and I also can do 1080p stuff too )

Edit: Oh I forgot - I have implimented the temporary fix to down sampling found in Vista itself (re-upsample as high as 192khz/24bit) I'm also getting the Xonar HDAV 1.3 when it hits the shelves.
And how much did that cost?
I've been looking at Blu-ray drives for my computer but in my case I can't really see a reason since I would much rather watch Blu-ray movies on my 70" TV instead of my 24" computer monitor.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1080p, 192k, blu, calibration, criterion, downsampling, dvd, dvdo, hdtv, plasma, player, ps3, ray, video, vp50