Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 08-26-2008   #13

Default Re: Goldmund Blu-ray player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
How about one that does SACD, CD, Blu Ray, DVD Audio
While I understand the desire for convenience, I think trying to pack all these formats into one player would force compromises in sound quality for each format, and as SACD and DVD-A are for all intents dead, I doubt you'll ever see one....
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #14
wes

Cool Re: Goldmund Blu-ray player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
While I understand the desire for convenience, I think trying to pack all these formats into one player would force compromises in sound quality for each format.
Well it depends so why is Oppo able to release outstanding DVD players that are universal and good quality!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
SACD and DVD-A are for all intents dead, I doubt you'll ever see one....
www.sa-cd.net = 5383 SACDs and every day more are released, yes mostly in the Classical arena

DVD-A rest in peace I agree
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008   #15

Default Re: recommendations on high end Blue Ray players

I have a Denon 3800BDCI and I got it just to watch movies with it (I dont listen to commentaries and I dont use its 1.1 profile which I guess is PIP feature). I get the best picture with this player (SD and BD). The reason I did not wait for the new Pioneer (09FD), is because most of what you pay for that player is for the analog design which I do not use (I use HDMI).
Realta chip in Denon is 10bit (and has proven to be the best processing chip available) and the one Pioneer will be offering is 16bit (if I'm correct). My TV can handle 8 bits only (I'm gonna upgrade it to the Sharp LCD 10 bit XS1E which will come out soon).

If my TV cannot handle more than 10 bit, then Denon is my best choice. And yesss, the PQ of Denon 3800BDCI is superior to that of PS3.
I personally trust in Realta

Realta's proven preformance:

http://news.ecoustics.com/bbs/messag...81/109341.html

Last edited by sharok; 10-29-2008 at 04:43 PM..
sharok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008   #16

Sharok; what are the ramp up/start times on your Denon? I'm looking at a deal on the similiar Marantz; and know the Sony 5000es ramps up very quickly; but is more expensive. Not sure if Denon/Marantz will have upgrades to BD 2.0; have you heard?
Thanks for the info.
Happy Holidays,
mribob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mribob View Post
Sharok; what are the ramp up/start times on your Denon? I'm looking at a deal on the similiar Marantz; and know the Sony 5000es ramps up very quickly; but is more expensive. Not sure if Denon/Marantz will have upgrades to BD 2.0; have you heard?
Thanks for the info.
Happy Holidays,
Hello mirbob,

Denon loading time is not so impressive (it is better than typical). Do not expect a fast loading time from this unit and it ihas a 1.1 profile.
I have a Denon 3808 receiver. The DAC in this player is superior to my receiver's. So if you want to use analog connection you'll have one of the best CD players available in the market (for movies it does not make an audible difference, or at least not to my ears).
BTW, Marantz 8002 and Denon 3800BDCI are identical (1.1 profile and they also belong to the same company "DNM").

Last edited by sharok; 12-11-2008 at 09:33 PM..
sharok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008   #18

My first question would be how dedicated you are and have you spent too much money on your current or new video / audio system. My system started as an audio only with a bit of video added in. That means 85 to 90% costs to the audio. With that said I would SUGGEST you to spend at least 75% or 3x on your TV, understand that Blu-Rays disc carry a premium price points against DVDs. If you purchase your DVDs I would suggest allocating initially at least equal on your disc library as your player.

The one thing that I gave up/ con towards the player was loading speed. On the Pro side after a headache with a firmware update (Apple not Supported by Sony) was the aquistion of the Sony BDP-S1 (?retailed at $1,000?). I have yet to see a better combo when properly set-up other than at a CES or like show at 5 to 10x the cost. Yes, it also wasn't yet a released product. My TV is the plasma Pioneer Elite Kuro 1080p at 50" and The tradeoff with the TV is that it generates alot of heat....And, Yes, I currently own more than 50 Blu-Ray discs and over 450 DVDs.

Secondly, audio quality is benefited by the new format, but currently my front end audio is a stereo front end and has XLR inputs and the S1 doesn't support that. So, I take the RCAs out of the S1 and make due with only HDMI to the TV. The optical out goes to a previous top of the line Yamaha souround unit. So, whats so hi-end is this you may ask? I also have Krell Electronics wiith a KRC-HR stereo pre , because I haven't bought the RX-11 or the Krell Evolution 707 yet,, Yes, 10 channels of Krell amps, VTL amps, etc with 30 drivers in 12 speakers. Yes, my CD player is a Krell and it runs XLRS to the pre and optical to the Yamaha. Yes, Yes, with retail way in excess of $50k. Yes, I believe XLR / balanced connectors to a dedicated hi-end stereo audio preamp would generate better sound in the front channels than taking HDMI first to a processor and then to a TV which ALSO must generate some video degradation.

Hi-end Video with ONLY a combo souround unit/ reciever, IMO, is a waste and large flat panel video without full-range speakers that include subs misses the action. Supporting at least the equiv of 5.1 should a equal goal. So, this all costs money and the player is just one component of a system.

So, balance, balance, balance,, where IMO, Blu-Ray is a new technology where Mark Levinson and Krell, I don't thjink support it in their line, so, $5k or more for a player at this time is questionable. If you own the 707, then you could still add in the Evol mono preamps and amps. If you own a Kuro, then why buy a Oppo? If you like upgrading every year, then IMO find a top of the line player from last year with current firmware and you will save 25 to 35% on the costs of a player and you can track changes in video playback tech. Oh, you should realize that this also allows the discs to support the tech Yes, first hardware support, then software (disc) support. Thanks Erblichs
Mitchell Erblich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
5000es, audioblue, blu, blue, chip, end, high, load, marantz, player, players, postprocessor, ray, recommendations, sony, times