Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 06-03-2008   #1

Thumbs up Wal-Mart Boosts Volume of Blu-ray and Hi Def

Wal-Mart Boosts Volume of Blu-ray and Hi Def

From Yahoo Finance,

BENTONVILLE, Ark., June 3 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Wal-Mart announced today that it has completed a redesign of its consumer electronics department in stores nationwide, adding hundreds of new consumer electronics models and features. In addition to new product assortment, recent design changes intend to help Wal-Mart customers also better understand the uses and options of many new products in the market, such as the addition of a "hi-def Blu-ray experience area" in 1,200 of its stores.

Details about these new enhancements to Wal-Mart's electronics departments include:

-- A more than 58 percent increase in assortment of full hi-def
televisions (1080p) nationwide, with the introduction of new models and
brands, such as Sharp, and an expansion in larger TV sizes;

-- A new display center for computers with an expanded selection of
accessories and ink, along with clear signage and better direction to
showcase the right equipment for the right use -- home, school or
entertainment;

-- A social gaming area of increased floor space for players of all ages
to select their favorite live action rockstar game, and even play their
favorite guitar ensemble right in the store,* plus a select area for
reduced price games;

-- An expanded selection of GPS, including touch screen displays in some
stores and in all stores the addition of Magellan to the current GPS
offerings of Garmin and TomTom;

-- An increased assortment of Blu-ray, adding new players such as
Magnavox, Samsung and Panasonic to its Sony line up, plus an increased
selection of hi-def Blu-ray movies in their own designated area.

With these changes, Wal-Mart is making a commitment to help bring Blu-ray and the hi-def TV experience to families everywhere at unbeatable prices. To start, this weekend Wal-Mart is offering a $100 Wal-Mart gift card with the purchase of any Blu-ray player in its stores, June 8 through June 14.

In addition, the retailer will have select Blu-ray movie titles for only $15 starting June 8, including movie favorites such as 3:10 to Yuma, WAR, Shooter, 300, and The Fifth Element.**

"We are excited to be a destination for families looking to create a high quality, affordable home entertainment experience with our new, wider selection of hi-def TVs, Blu-ray players and movies," said Gary Severson, senior vice president, Home Entertainment, Wal-Mart."
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #2

Default Re: Wal-Mart Boosts Volume of Blu-ray and Hi Def

"adding players such as ... Panasonic to its Sony line up ..."

I wonder what their price will be on the new BD-50?
faberryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #3

As snobby as it sounds - I went into a Wal-Mart for the first time ever when in Nebraska seeing the making of Andrew and my movie "April Showers". I needed another movie for the trip back to LA as I GOUGED my Entourage disc quite nicely and it wouldn't play.

Wal-Mart was HUGE and they had a lot of DVDs for sale but their selection pales in comparison to Best Buy. Its not even close. I am not sure how the studios could get more shelf space for Blu-ray software but there clearly are the titles out there to support it and Wal-Mart physically could fit it.

Note: in West Los Angeles there are no Wal-Marts that I know of. There simply isn't the space to put such a large store into the landscape. Same with Costco. The closest Costco is in the "valley" or in Marina Del Rey. You have to REALLY need to make a Costco trip if you live in West LA. Call me a snob if you must but I just don't want to drive and I like to support local, indy stores and I will pay a little more to do it. When it comes to BR discs - I am forced to Best Buy. Their location is good and their selection is HUGE. Just don't ask their staff for help because they don't have a CLUE for the most part. Magnolia is better but not Best Buy.
Old 06-08-2008   #4

That is interesting that a Wal-Mart will not fit into your landscape. If you know what you want, you could just buy them from Amazon and save some gas.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
That is interesting that a Wal-Mart will not fit into your landscape. If you know what you want, you could just buy them from Amazon and save some gas.
Seems like if you could fit a Best Buy in the area, a Wal-Mart or Costco could fit.

Probably best that you don't have a Wal-Mart near you. People in the nicer areas out here fight them when they are proposed to near to their homes since it is believed to bring down property values, increase crime rate, and attract and undesireable element that would otherwise not be in the area.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #6

Post Re: Wal-Mart Boosts Volume of Blu-ray and Hi Def

In fact, in a very little while (excepting bandwidth restrictions or throttling) BD and HD-DVD will be a thing of the past.

The end of physical media may very well be soon at hand.

Comments?

Jeremy

The Kipnis Studios
www.Kipnis-Studios.com

Video Calibration Labs
www.VideoCalibration.com

Epiphany Recordings Ltd.
www.EpiphanyRecordings.com

----------

KSS DL.TV Video Feature (NEW)
http://www.kipnis-studios.com/The_Ki...TV_-_6_08.html
The Kipnis Studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
blu, bluray, boosting, calibration, consumerelectronics, mart, ray, sound, twister, wal, wallmart, walmart