Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 04-26-2008   #13

Default Re: List of Every Blu-ray Player on the Market in 2008

I agree, prices for new Blu-Ray Players are fairly similar to 2nd/3rd gen DVD players from back around '99/'00. The difference is that there is no form factor change (which I think was a big reason a lot people adopted DVD in addition to the quality improvement) and I think many average (read no AV enthusiasts) won't notice as big of an improvement when making the change. Add all that to rest of the economic questions circulating today and I think Blu-Ray does have it's work cut out for it. People aren't buying $300-$500 players when their having trouble with their mortgages.

Don't get me wrong, I REALLY want Blu-Ray to be successful. I just think that comparing 2 years in for Blu-Ray and DVD is kind of an apples and oranges comparison.

Braden
bgreinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvine2000 View Post
come on those are hi end players,denon,marantz!they have always been hi end.
always cost an arm&a leg you omitted lower end players like sony,sharp etc. to make your point.29.99!,yeh in a year the player will be ready for the trash,you get what you pay for.
I guess you didn't read this part of my post?

Yes, I saw the 'cheaper' prices... but as also mentioned when Joe-Consumer see's a $29.99 DVD player at Walmart there is no way you could convince him (or his wife) to spend 10-20 times that much for a BD player.

No way, uh-uh!
Westcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
I guess you didn't read this part of my post?

Yes, I saw the 'cheaper' prices... but as also mentioned when Joe-Consumer see's a $29.99 DVD player at Walmart there is no way you could convince him (or his wife) to spend 10-20 times that much for a BD player.

No way, uh-uh!
I hate to say it, but I agree with you.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #16

I agree COMPLETELY with kenny t..................who does actually use the internet activites??..........though it's good to have an internet connection for firmware/software upgrades!!!!!
Bob Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #17

Unhappy Re: List of Every Blu-ray Player on the Market in 2008

I do not (yet) own a Blu-Ray player. I had the first LG multi player, but returned it when I discovered it could not play CDs. The HD-DVD I played was awesome! I never did play the Blu-Ray disc I purchased.

I probably would do the Internet thing. I certainly would be connected for upgrades, as I pump Ethernet to my Denon 3808ci.

But, until the load time improves, and FOR GOD'S SAKE, please give me the ability to hit the Stop button, and then Play from where I left off, my credit card will stay in my wallet.
pws442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I hate to burst many bubbles, but how many of you really think you will use the internet features???

How many of you EVER watch the extras on SD DVDs??

I for one can't remember the last time I watched any extras, so I doubt I will suddenly change my ways and need internet capability for the latest trailers etal...

I am happy for a Blu-ray player (well, I actually own three now, soon a fourth) that does excellent video and audio.
HA!!!!!!! Now that's a good post I wish BD studios would get it together...drop the compressed lossless and use the extra room on a BD for a straight LPCM 7.1 lossless track instead of all this TrueDolby HD, DTS-HD-MA, ect. You've got the room - bring it raw !!!! I for one don't watch the extras either! The last extras that I watched was JACK - JACK ATTACKS in The Incredibles!
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
2008, bdp05fd, blu, blue, bp35, bpup5000, compare, daewoo, date, dbp2000, elite, pioneer, players, ray, release, s500, sony, summer, walmarkcombluraymodellgbh200