Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 06-13-2007   #1
Administrator

Default Sony Ships New BDP-S300 Blu-ray Player

Sony began shipping its new Blu-ray Disc (BD) player to major consumer electronics retailers and specialty dealers nationwide for a list price of $499.

The BDP-S300 is expected to broaden the high-definition disc player market while delivering new features including the advanced Dolby Digital Plus audio codec as well as BRAVIA Theatre Sync and CD playback.

"The BD format gained great momentum in the past several months, and we're going to capitalize on that with the new model," said Chris Fawcett, vice president of marketing for Sony Electronics' Home Product Division. "The player gives a broader consumer segment the opportunity to experience the exceptional quality of Blu-ray Disc format at a competitive price."

The new model can output 1920 x 1080/24p high-definition video, currently the highest resolution high-definition signal available through an HDMI connection. The player supports various video formats, including MPEG2, MPEG4-AVC and VC1.

For those who own an HDTV set without HDMI, an analog component output for 1080i (interlaced) is available as well.

The new BD player is compatible with most standard DVDs and has the added feature of 1080p upscaling through HDMI to 1080p capable HDTVs, improving the picture performance of existing DVD libraries.

The model also supports AVC-HD discs encoded with x.v.Color (xvYCC) technology, a new international standard for wide color space. The standard expands the current data range of video approximately 1.8 times allowing the player to output more natural and vivid colors similar to what the human eye can actually see.

The new BD unit incorporates BRAVIA TheatreSync utilizing HDMI connectivity, which integrates the operation of the player with a compatible BRAVIA flat-panel LCD television or audio/video receiver. With the touch of a button, you can automatically turn on and switch inputs to match connected devices.

Additionally, the player offers multi-channel linear PCM digital audio output via HDMI, and can decode Dolby® Digital Plus, providing optimum surround sound to an appropriately equipped receiver. The unit has optical and coaxial digital audio out, along with 5.1 channel decoding capability for backward compatibility with existing receivers.

It also supports BD-ROM, AVC-HD Media, DVD video and DVD playback from DVD/DVD+R/+RW encoded discs, CD playback, as well as MP3 audio files and JPEG images stored on DVD recordable media.

The BDP-S300 joins Sony's family of full HD 1080 line of products, spanning from the original BDP-S1 BD player, now with a list price of $799, to BRAVIA flat-panel LCD, and 3LCD and SXRD rear-projection television line, as well as the PlayStation 3 game console, PC drives and recordable BD media.

The company additionally announced a new free firmware update for the BDP-S1 that allows it to decode Dolby Digital Plus & Dolby True HD audio codecs. The update will be available next week for download at www.sony.com/blurayupdate.

The new BDP-S300 player will be available shortly at Sony Style stores, online at the new sonystyle.com and at other retailers nationwide.
AVRevForum.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007   #2

Lightbulb Re: Sony Ships New BDP-S300 Blu-ray Player

Well $499 is getting better but it's still a ways off getting Joe Six Pack to run out & buy one!
But it is a step in the right direction, a BD player priced under the PS3 was badly needed.

I believe this X-Mas will be HUGE for Blu-Ray & HD-DVD,
I expect both camps will have a $199 player out by then & that may get J6P out & buying.

As for me I'm gonna hold off on the stand alone Blu-Ray player for now for a couple of reasons,
1. While BD is starting to look like the leader it's still too early to call.
2. I want a BD player that's going to give me a lot more than my PS3 can So I'll wait for Sony to release the ES version.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007   #3

Default Re: Sony Ships New BDP-S300 Blu-ray Player

Now we're getting closer to reality. This shooting match might be over before the end of 2007 and I'll dive in.
timbre4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007   #4

Nice to see the prices starting to go down. SACD and DVDA too much longer. I wonder how the HDDVD crew will respond.
CrappyGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrappyGamer View Post
Nice to see the prices starting to go down. SACD and DVDA too much longer. I wonder how the HDDVD crew will respond.
If the recently advertised price of $499 for the HD-A20 isn't enough then maybe the HD-A2 on sale for $349 with 3 movies is...

Too many fence sitters on these standalone players, I don't consider the number of PS3's or xBox's sold a good indicator of a format win. When most people out there in the mainstream watch a movie with their family it is on a standalone player... not a game console.
Westcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiguredMaple View Post
Remember, the Toshiba HD-A2 has all of the following formats built in: Dolby Digital, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, and DTS HD and is currently selling for less than $300 US.
All the players claim that they can play the new Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD formats. However, none of us can ultilize those soundtracks on any of the players on the market (Blu-ray or HD DVD). This due to the following: The players currently available are not capable of decoding the Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD formats within the player, and only a few (ie: the HD-XA2) can actually pass along the Dolby and DTS signals. The only way for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD to travel is through HDMI 1.3 (due to the necessity for bandwidth). The current problem is that receivers do not have HDMI 1.3 specs available and/or the receivers are not capable of decoding the Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD signals. So, in the end, none of the players currently can decode the information so it will be left up to the receiving component. As of right now the players convert the Dolby and DTS signals into PCM.

So as for the HD-A2, while it is priced at $399 (cheaper from online retailers and with the current promotion), it will never be able to output Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD, it is not 1080p capable (only 720p/1080i), and lacks the Silicon Optix or Anchor Bay DVDO Video processors that are found in the in the HD-XA2 and HD-A20, respectively.

That just my two cents.
tigeraudio2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
bd, bdp, bdp5000, bdps300, blu, digital, formats, live, problems, ray, rear, s300, samsung, sony, sound, video, view