Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 06-19-2007   #7

Default Re: Sony Ships New BDP-S300 Blu-ray Player

Boy Oh Boy, Gentlemen, some of you know my position, some of you do not. This whole Blu - Ray vs. HD DVD is just crazy. I have not moved either, and will not for a while. At a time when technology is at its height, custom home installations are booming like never before. Even Best Buy, Costco and the like type consumers are into Home Theater and HDTV. If there ever was a time, when the high end industry, retailer, specialty store could benefit with their knowledge and expertise to sway those customers, it is now.

But, instead, what do we have. A format war to consumers who just want to go home, hit the power button, and push play. Then, you want them to change their video libraries and choose once again. Sony vs. Matshu****a, Beta vs. VHS, 8mm vs. VHS type C. In my humble opinion, the best thing to do is, get a "universal dvd player". They will play just about any disc you can find. Have a great feature set, and as the Oppo 970 proved, are now available at quite reasonable prices.
Wait it out.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007   #8

what processor type does this player have Silicon Optix realta faroudja for SD? or is it software derived? (please forgive any misspells realta and faroudja aren't in spell check)
Strutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007   #9

found this rather brief review.

Sony's $499 Blu-ray player is currently on the shelves we have been wondering how it stacks up. Home Theater Blog had the opportunity to hook the BDP-S300 up to a ISF calibrated JVC DLA-HD1 and not to ruin their fun, but found the projector to have some quirks although still better picture quality than the other low cost Blu-ray player - the PS3. Apparently, the Java system a bit poky on the BDP-S300, the remote is lackluster and the unit is missing an Ethernet port but the superb picture is the redeeming quality - plus, it's only $499. The only question in our mind is how long is it going to take Sony to slash that $499 price in half. Oh, that's right, when this player is old news 'cause it doesn't have the updated and soon to be mandatory Blu-ray specs.
Blu-ray players get a new standard set of features this October - Engadget HD
Old 06-20-2007   #10

here's a better review:

Review: Sony BDP-S300 Blu-ray Player: Home Theater Blog | Home Theater News & Reviews
Old 06-29-2007   #11

This player is still too expensive for the mass market but for home theater enthusiasts, it represents a chance to buy into the technolgy for less money thus reducing the risk of boo-hooing over 2 formats. Yes, it sucks that there are two HD disc formats but it doesn't suck as bad as NONE (think SACD and DVD-Audio). Without the support of early adopters like US (I own every commercially availible player so far - I think) the formats tank. Sony, Microsoft, Toshiba and the rest NEED us and we NEED them. Making a "wait and see" protest only hurts the industry as well as our systems.
Old 07-08-2007   #12

I agree with Jerry. I bought the Sony BDP-S300 Blu-ray and Toshiba HD-A20 players because they are at a price that I can "dabble" in new technology without a major investment, but can most likely be satisfied with their performance for a while.

I obviously read and research, but I'm really interested in forming my own opinions on the new formats. This is a hobby for me, and solely from a hobbiest view, this format war is interesting. It is far more interesting than one format being shoved at me.

From a consumer standpoint, I agree that one format is needed.
HT Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
bd, bdp, bdp5000, bdps300, blu, digital, formats, live, problems, ray, rear, s300, samsung, sony, sound, video, view