Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 03-24-2008   #7

Default Re: Denon DVD-3800BDCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpiii View Post
Since I have capabilities for both analog and HDMI, I will probably go ahead and hook-up the analog just to hear the difference between HDMI and analog for multi-channel sound.

Do you know if Lexicon has any ideas for updating your pre/pro w/ a HDMI card in the future?
I know in the past they used to be good about helping out owners w/ technology updates.

I have been thinking about getting the Integra 9.8, to replace my yamaha in the bedroom. It has a lot of similar capabilities of my Halcro SSP-200, and it costs much less.
Lexicon makes a MC-12 HD with HDMI, however, older models are not upgradable. IMO, this is simply another of the many stakes in the heart of long time Madrigal Group loyalists who were not smart enough to abandon ship when Harmon Specialty Group bought Madrigal and offered upgrades from Proceed to Lexicon. I refuse to pay the outrageous difference Harmon requires to upgrade to the HD model, especially after making multiple expensive upgrades since the original purchase. I have several other issues regarding what Harmon has done since acquiring Levinson and immediately eliminating the Proceed label I don't feel proper to divulge here. Nevertheless, my dissatisfaction with Harmon is now well established and I don't want to do further business with them. That does not preclude the fact the MC-12 is a very good pre/pro.

I will consider purchasing the new Classé pre/pro I am advised should be shipping later during Q2. Dave Nauber, who was involved in the development of the Levinson Model 30 has been instrumental in the development of this piece. It should be outstanding.

Until that time, I want some 1080p source material, and the Denon certainly appears to do both the video and the audio I am wanting in the way I can currently use it.
ChiefTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #8

ChiefTK,

I share some of your frustration over keeping things updatable at a reasonable cost but unfortunately the technology is changing far to rapidly to allow this. I have gone both ways, trying to buy really nice pre/pro's that were upgradeable and replacing them often, both techniques frankly stink, the cost of upgrading is often prohibitively expensive, and selling outdated gear is equally painful due to low returns, but I don't think you can just point a finger at Harmon over this.

As you might recall, Proceed supposedly guaranteed the PAV/PDSD would be kept current as a selling feature for buying the TOTL pre/pro, only to never do anything but a firmware update for it that barely utilized the DAC's it had in it!!!

Three or four years ago, no one could have foreseen the new codecs and video connectors so upgrading a pre/pro often is essentially a total rebuilt.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #9

Ken, I understand and agree with your previous post. My real issue with Harmon revolves around the fact that, after acquiring Madrigal, they simply walked away from the malfunctioning & glitchy Proceed PMDT without offering any solution to those of us that bought that expensive dog. They did offer the AVP to Lexicon path, however, if not for a generous dealer who totally disagreed with what Harmon was providing, that alternative would have been much less palatable. Their version upgrades are not priced reasonably imo, and their HD upgrade is laughable. I realize manufacturers have to keep their lights on and can't give their products away, but Harmon isn't even trying. This is the opinion of a very respected long time Levinson dealer, not just mine. Dealing with Madrigal was a much more pleasant experience. Perhaps that's why they're no longer doing business under that banner.

Regardless, HDMI quickly made paper weights and door stops out of a lot of expensive pre/pros.

Last edited by ChiefTK; 03-25-2008 at 08:18 AM..
Old 03-25-2008   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefTK View Post
Regardless, HDMI quickly made paper weights and door stops out of a lot of expensive pre/pros.
Ain't that the truth!!!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefTK View Post
I would be very interested to get your opinion about the Denon after you receive it.

In addition to its video processing, I am interested in its ability to output the lossless codecs via analog connection whereby I can pass it through my Lexicon MC 12. I don't know of any other BluRay player that can do this for all codecs, including DTS-MA.

I suppose I should simply get a pre/pro with HDMI capabilities.
I've now had the Denon for a week, and I am a bit torn.

The audio is really good - DTS-HD MA is great. I am just not too excited about the PQ. The video is way too soft. Blacks are not quite black, and the picture almost seems hazy.

I am in the process of setting up another user defined setting on my projector specifically for the Denon. I am thinking I may just have an isf guy come out to do it. I have the blu-ray DVE that recently came out that I may use in the mean time to try to tweak the picture. The player has some video settings, but they are more for non-HDMI users which does not help me. I like the picture from my LG BH200 much better.

When I A/B the two players it is painfully obvious the LG has much better PQ which is something I would have never expected.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #12

ripiii,

Wow! I certainly would never have anticipated your response to the picture quality on this particular BD player. The Realta chipset is supposed to be the Maybach of those currently available. To say I am disappointed is an understatement.

For you to state that your LG produces a better picture says it all. Extremely difficult to lay out $2K for BluRay and not get the PQ of players costing much less.

Have you used the Denon for regular DVD playback?

Guess I'll wait for the new Sony models to hit the shelves.

Last edited by ChiefTK; 04-07-2008 at 03:21 PM..
Sponsored Links

Tags
3800bdci, adjustments, audio, calibration, card, denon, dvd3800bdci, forum, hdmi, price, setup, tag, update, video, viideo