Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 03-21-2008   #13

Default Re: Sony BDP-S350 & BDP-S550

If you own an expensive preamp like a Lexicon or Classe then you have NO DD+ or DTS Master decoding except within the Blu-ray player itself. So you have to connect the player via 5.1 analog audio to get the higher level surround sound. That makes the $100 upcharge very appealing.
I currently have two systems hooked up this way and it definitly sound better over the analog. The optical is limited bandwidth.
I also have a PS3 and the audio bandwitdh is limited in comparison to the 7.1 analog of the Denon. The Denon's picture is superior also. My PS3 is a blast however for gaming. No bugs like my PC constantly has.

Last edited by pat@ultramedia.biz; 03-21-2008 at 12:17 PM..
pat@ultramedia.biz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #14

I already have the Panasonic BDMP30 Blu-ray hooked up to a new Onkyo TX SR875 and have had all these capabilities for some time. One HDMI does it all, for all available sound codecs. Did not need to wait for Sony. I was so completely ready to get rid of my nest of cables, particularly all those darn analog multichannels. One HDMI from the player, one HDMI to the video display-the only cables I have now are HDMI and speaker wires. Thank goodness for technology. An Oppo Digital player suffices for all standard legacy disks, including SACD and DVD-Audio, all on one HDMI. Zowie.

Happy Camper
Eternal Upgrade Addict
Happy Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post
I already have the Panasonic BDMP30 Blu-ray hooked up to a new Onkyo TX SR875 and have had all these capabilities for some time. One HDMI does it all, for all available sound codecs. Did not need to wait for Sony. I was so completely ready to get rid of my nest of cables, particularly all those darn analog multichannels. One HDMI from the player, one HDMI to the video display-the only cables I have now are HDMI and speaker wires. Thank goodness for technology. An Oppo Digital player suffices for all standard legacy disks, including SACD and DVD-Audio, all on one HDMI. Zowie.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!!
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #16
TRT

Can you say, "Media Server." I'm so sick of waiting for technology that is already here. By the time these players hit the market, there will be something better waiting in the wings. When a player hits the market with all of the CODEC's supported and is firmware upgradable, I'll pitch the PS3 into my kids room. Unless the build quality is superior, I'm not paying thousands for it either. Been there, done that. At least my Sony changers and Escient movie/music manager have stood the test of time (unlike my HD-DVD player[s]). And how 'bout a little help from our friends in Hollywood. I love reading reviews about how great a blu-ray picture looks and how spectacular the audio sounds on the disc when the fact of the matter is: It was a crappy movie! Or worse yet: A movie you've owned on DVD for a hundred years gets re-released on blu-ray for thirty bucks. Well blow me down! Can't wait to get to the store! Well I've had it. I'm looking at the future of media servers as a platform for the eventual time when I can download high def content for a fee right to a hard drive. Well, I have to run. I think I hear the mailman. He might have my sorry about the HD-DVD player fifty dollar check from best buy that I can use to buy some preparationH to use after I pull this Toshiba A30 and the HD-DVD add-on for the XBOX360 out of my A$$. I tried to give them away to a friend who replied in kind, " No thanks."

Last edited by TRT; 03-21-2008 at 07:44 PM..
TRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #17
wes

Cool Re: Sony BDP-S350 & BDP-S550

Denon uses Panasonic this is a cool web site for blu ray news

http://www.blu-ray.com/players/compa...action=compare
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #18

Cool Re: Sony BDP-S350 & BDP-S550

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRT View Post
Can you say, "Media Server." I'm so sick of waiting for technology that is already here. By the time these players hit the market, there will be something better waiting in the wings. When a player hits the market with all of the CODEC's supported and is firmware upgradable, I'll pitch the PS3 into my kids room. Unless the build quality is superior, I'm not paying thousands for it either. Been there, done that. At least my Sony changers and Escient movie/music manager have stood the test of time (unlike my HD-DVD player[s]). And how 'bout a little help from our friends in Hollywood. I love reading reviews about how great a blu-ray picture looks and how spectacular the audio sounds on the disc when the fact of the matter is: It was a crappy movie! Or worse yet: A movie you've owned on DVD for a hundred years gets re-released on blu-ray for thirty bucks. Well blow me down! Can't wait to get to the store! Well I've had it. I'm looking at the future of media servers as a platform for the eventual time when I can download high def content for a fee right to a hard drive. Well, I have to run. I think I hear the mailman. He might have my sorry about the HD-DVD player fifty dollar check from best buy that I can use to buy some preparationH to use after I pull this Toshiba A30 and the HD-DVD add-on for the XBOX360 out of my A$$. I tried to give them away to a friend who replied in kind, " No thanks."
You give it to me and I'll pay for shipping...I'll take your A30 no problem.
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
71, audio, bd, bdp, bdps350, bdps550, direct, forum, media, mix, output, s350, s550, server, setting, sony, sound, user, vs