Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 03-10-2008   #1

Default upgrading old Pioneer DV59-AVi DVD player

Personally I'll probably buy an entry level BD unit just to play with but no expensive units for me now.
I am in contact with Joseph Chow at component plus and he will upgrade my Pioneer DV59-AVi DVD player which is already has an excellent picture. I'm certain when he get done my video will be close enough to bluray I I will be very happy!
It bothers me that so many bluray players that should never have been released have been fostered on an unsuspecting public.

I figure it will take 12-24 months for all this BS to be finally settled.
Let me know if you think I'm wrong.
i30krab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008   #2

Default Re: upgrading old Pioneer DV59-AVi DVD player

I don't necessarily think you are wrong, but I think it is sort of harsh to blame all the early Blu-ray players. I bought many of them, and still use some. I am an early adopter, and as such knew I might see problems.

To be perfectly honest, early on when you needed to do firmware updates weekly for every new release, it was a huge PITA, now I haven't done a firmware update in months and all my players work fine.

I would like to see SD DVD load times, but can live with the slower times. Basically it takes my TV ~ a minute or two to warm up and be ready to view anyway, so now when I want to watch something I turn on the system and go get a beverage and then come back and all is ready to go....

If my Blu-ray player was as fast as my SD DVD players, then I'd still be waiting for the display to warm up.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #3

Smile Re: upgrading old Pioneer DV59-AVi DVD player

Well kenny, its good to hear though, that things have finally improved some. Especially on the firmware update side. Good.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #4

My Pioneer DV59-Avi is now basically a door stopper. I have a PS3 and a Toshiba A35. Believe it or not on my JVC projector, both will give me better audio and video quality.

I was one of the first to get the DV59 and paid $1600 for it. It broke down just before the three year waranty period but sat in the shop for nearly a month before someone in Pioneer knew how to fix it.
pfslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfslai View Post
My Pioneer DV59-Avi is now basically a door stopper. I have a PS3 and a Toshiba A35. Believe it or not on my JVC projector, both will give me better audio and video quality.

I was one of the first to get the DV59 and paid $1600 for it. It broke down just before the three year waranty period but sat in the shop for nearly a month before someone in Pioneer knew how to fix it.
Too bad, sounds like bad luck with your dv59-avi. I bought mine 3 1/2 years ago and I never had any trouble and the video is great. There's no rhyme or reason why people get units that work well or they're just lemons. I paid $1000.00 for it at a discount house.

It plays any dvd without malfunction unless it's a bad disk. I rent from Blockbuster and you know how the public treats the dvds.
i30krab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008   #6

I agree. Wih equipment, you hate to say it, but sometimes its just the luck of the draw. Or as my father used to say, its just your time in the barrel.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
59, adi, av, avi, blu, dv, dv59, dv59avi, dvd, elite, firmware, model, pioneer, ray, updates