Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Blu-ray Players (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-players-24/)
-   -   upgrading old Pioneer DV59-AVi DVD player (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-players/1679-upgrading-old-pioneer-dv59-avi-dvd-player.html)

i30krab 03-10-2008 10:57 AM

upgrading old Pioneer DV59-AVi DVD player

Personally I'll probably buy an entry level BD unit just to play with but no expensive units for me now.
I am in contact with Joseph Chow at component plus and he will upgrade my Pioneer DV59-AVi DVD player which is already has an excellent picture. I'm certain when he get done my video will be close enough to bluray I I will be very happy!
It bothers me that so many bluray players that should never have been released have been fostered on an unsuspecting public.

I figure it will take 12-24 months for all this BS to be finally settled.
Let me know if you think I'm wrong.

kennyt 03-10-2008 12:12 PM

Re: upgrading old Pioneer DV59-AVi DVD player

I don't necessarily think you are wrong, but I think it is sort of harsh to blame all the early Blu-ray players. I bought many of them, and still use some. I am an early adopter, and as such knew I might see problems.

To be perfectly honest, early on when you needed to do firmware updates weekly for every new release, it was a huge PITA, now I haven't done a firmware update in months and all my players work fine.

I would like to see SD DVD load times, but can live with the slower times. Basically it takes my TV ~ a minute or two to warm up and be ready to view anyway, so now when I want to watch something I turn on the system and go get a beverage and then come back and all is ready to go....

If my Blu-ray player was as fast as my SD DVD players, then I'd still be waiting for the display to warm up.

deacongreg 03-11-2008 11:41 AM

Well kenny, its good to hear though, that things have finally improved some. Especially on the firmware update side. Good.

pfslai 03-11-2008 02:58 PM

My Pioneer DV59-Avi is now basically a door stopper. I have a PS3 and a Toshiba A35. Believe it or not on my JVC projector, both will give me better audio and video quality.

I was one of the first to get the DV59 and paid $1600 for it. It broke down just before the three year waranty period but sat in the shop for nearly a month before someone in Pioneer knew how to fix it.

i30krab 03-11-2008 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfslai (Post 12740)
My Pioneer DV59-Avi is now basically a door stopper. I have a PS3 and a Toshiba A35. Believe it or not on my JVC projector, both will give me better audio and video quality.

I was one of the first to get the DV59 and paid $1600 for it. It broke down just before the three year waranty period but sat in the shop for nearly a month before someone in Pioneer knew how to fix it.

Too bad, sounds like bad luck with your dv59-avi. I bought mine 3 1/2 years ago and I never had any trouble and the video is great. There's no rhyme or reason why people get units that work well or they're just lemons. I paid $1000.00 for it at a discount house.

It plays any dvd without malfunction unless it's a bad disk. I rent from Blockbuster and you know how the public treats the dvds.

deacongreg 03-12-2008 09:05 AM

I agree. Wih equipment, you hate to say it, but sometimes its just the luck of the draw. Or as my father used to say, its just your time in the barrel.