Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Blu-ray Players (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-players-24/)
-   -   Ultra High-End BD Player? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-players/1630-ultra-high-end-bd-player.html)

rlpiii 02-26-2008 06:43 AM

Ultra High-End BD Player?

Looks like someone is going to finally try to produce an "ultra high-end" BD player.

From my Blu-ray.com widget. . .

Goldmund, a Swiss A/V manufacturer, has announced the Eidos 20 BD, an ultra
high-end Blu-ray Disc player. The player will feature many Goldmund proprietary technologies, including "AC Curator", a power supply circuit which dramatically improves picture and sound stability, "Mechanical Grounding" construction, which removes from the player mechanism spurious vibrations that cause blurring of the video signal, and "Magnetic Damper", a device used to lower reading errors.

Michel Reverchon, president of Goldmund commented, "As a result of last week's news in regards to the format wars, Goldmund decided to launch the Eidos 20 BD earlier than we had originally planned to capture the attention of the industry that believes in the superior technological merits of the Blu-ray format. The Blu-ray player is the perfect addition to our Goldmund Media Room, which requires high-definition playback and is the pinnacle of technological excellence."

Goldmund has begun taking orders for the machine, which will retail for $16,900.

kennyt 02-26-2008 08:18 AM

Re: Ultra High-End BD Player?

I'm glad these are coming, though I am not sure I'll buy one of the super high end players just yet.

I want my Meridian 861 v6 pre/pro with all the new codecs first, then I'll see what type of players are out there!

Mitchell Erblich 12-19-2008 02:00 AM

Why? Why? Why?

Maybe if you had a 100" Kuro , other than that I think the production quality of mass production removes any possible improvements. And hopefully if you had this much money to spend you would have a dedicated electrical line with proper groundiing.And removing spurious vibrations, just get a nice stand with a thin plate of granite beneath the unit.

Thus, I want to see their video Reference setup and hookup a top of the line Sony or Denon and show us the differences..

Erblichs

wes 12-21-2008 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlpiii (Post 12143)
Looks like someone is going to finally try to produce an "ultra high-end" BD player.

From my Blu-ray.com widget. . . Goldmund, a Swiss A/V manufacturer, has announced the Eidos 20 BD, an ultra
high-end Blu-ray Disc player. The player will feature many Goldmund proprietary technologies, including "AC Curator", a power supply circuit which dramatically improves picture and sound stability, "Mechanical Grounding" construction, which removes from the player mechanism spurious vibrations that cause blurring of the video signal, and "Magnetic Damper", a device used to lower reading errors. Michel Reverchon, president of Goldmund commented, "As a result of last week's news in regards to the format wars, Goldmund decided to launch the Eidos 20 BD earlier than we had originally planned to capture the attention of the industry that believes in the superior technological merits of the Blu-ray format. The Blu-ray player is the perfect addition to our Goldmund Media Room, which requires high-definition playback and is the pinnacle of technological excellence."

Goldmund has begun taking orders for the machine, which will retail for $16,900.

What a farce, but leave to the Swiss to satisfy the petrodollar clients, they make it in gold as well. :)

kogvos 12-22-2008 07:28 PM

I'm no expert in these things but surely in the digital world you can't expect a dramatic improvement by removing vibration, etc?

I would imagine the BluRay has some pretty robust error correction although the point would be to get the data off the disc as cleanly as possible so that you don't require error correction which may colour the sound although again its still only 0's and 1's that your receiver or processor has to make sense of.

I would much prefer something so easily upgradeable as a PS3 and put that sort of money into a really good projector or sound processor and power amp combo.

Power quality would also be paramount. I don't think you should run it through anyhing less than a full double conversion UPS such as a Powerware 91xx series because the mains power only runs a battery charger and the batteries power the inverter to power the load so mains fluctuations have no effect on the output voltage.

Regards,

Jamie

wes 12-22-2008 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kogvos (Post 19219)
I would much prefer something so easily upgradeable as a PS3 and put that sort of money into a really good projector or sound processor and power amp combo.

Yes I agree 100% let the surround sound processor do all the heavy lifting and in terms of sound and in video a great projector will bring a lot more :)