Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Blu-ray Players (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-players-24/)
-   -   Oppo to build Blu-Ray player (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-players/1606-oppo-build-blu-ray-player.html)

TheMoose 02-20-2008 08:44 PM

Oppo to build Blu-Ray player

From Engadget

Oppo next to create a new Blu-ray player

Oppo fans left on the HD format sidelines can rejoice, as word comes that the company will add a Blu-ray player to its well-received line of DVD upscalers. According to the VP of product development, the company is "very early" in their development cycle, and we should expect more details sometime this summer. While sooner would definitely be better than later, we can't argue with a timeline that leads us to expect nothing less than a fully featured BD Live compatible player from a company with a reputation for delivering more bang for the buck.

Oppo upconverting DVD players have received great reviews & had great prices so hopefully their Blu-Ray player will be inexpensive & good preforming.
Since it won't be out till summer perhaps it'll be a profile 2.0.

kennyt 02-21-2008 05:21 AM

Re: Oppo to build Blu-Ray player

I think now that the format war is officially over (at least in my mind) that we'll start seeing a lot of companies making them, hopefully the high end companies will make some too. I'd love to see what the likes of Meridian could do with this format!

rlpiii 02-21-2008 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 11793)
I think now that the format war is officially over (at least in my mind) that we'll start seeing a lot of companies making them, hopefully the high end companies will make some too. I'd love to see what the likes of Meridian could do with this format!

When I asked the Halcro rep. about this, he essentially said that it is not economically feasible for the high-end companies to build an HD player anytime in the near future, and this did include Halcro, Meridian, and others.

Lotus 02-21-2008 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlpiii (Post 11799)
When I asked the Halcro rep. about this, he essentially said that it is not economically feasible for the high-end companies to build an HD player anytime in the near future, and this did include Halcro, Meridian, and others.

I disagree. They're such a niche market and they're the niche market that would buy an HDM player. Generally when someone buys a true High End system they want High End players.

Lotus 02-21-2008 08:43 AM

Back on subject:

A 2.0 player from Oppo might be just what we need. I don't see them being a "greedy," company like Panasonic, etc. So I figure it will be aggressively priced. This should mean a player around $300!

kennyt 02-21-2008 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlpiii (Post 11799)

I agree with Lotus, I think you'll see these players out from the likes of Meridian and such. Meridian even alluded to an HD DVD player @ CEDIA this past year, at least that they were experimenting with one.