Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 02-27-2008   #43

Default Re: Oppo to build Blu-Ray player

I hear you. I can only believe that the near future will be brighter, and that the best is yet to come.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
Sure, but I wasn't talking about PCs (PCs weren't really part of the BD-player comparison discussion). The fact that PCs can legally deliver it over analog via VGA is the exception that proves the rule. This also doesn't alter the fact that any consumer using HDMI (for whatever reason) for video isn't using the video analog conversion in the player, but rather in the display device.
That's 10-4 David I'm just keeping things honest here (LOL)! I'm big into HTPC and that's just the way I went with BD. I'm very satisfied with the results and so is my wife. It's the best $189.00 that I spent (didn't have to re-buy PowerDVD - I already had it for HD-DVD) so it all panned out in the end. I'm currently look at a few Gigabyte Motherboards with onboard HDMI (verified audio over HDMI) and they do play BD well. Looking at a Phenom processor on this. Goldear if you're out there - I'm still looking, but almost finished (best price for the best perfomanced - while remaining high-end). I'm taking my time because you have high caliber equiment and it deserves only the best! Talking to a few of my other tech friends.
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #45

prerich,

cool about the HTPC. Before I got my oppo I was seriously considering that myself.

Question: do any of the new HTPC solutions for HD DVD/BD provided decoding for lossless audio? Are there boards with HDMI 1.3 outputs for delivery of AV to display/receiver for those who don't/can't go VGA?
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #46

Quote:
prerich,

cool about the HTPC. Before I got my oppo I was seriously considering that myself.

Question: do any of the new HTPC solutions for HD DVD/BD provided decoding for lossless audio? Are there boards with HDMI 1.3 outputs for delivery of AV to display/receiver for those who don't/can't go VGA?
Yes, you can ge LPCM from the audio outputs of the sound card and go into the Multi Channel inputs - you get uncompress lossless audio. The new updates to PowerDVD have fixed the downmixing problem. TotalMedia Theater still has a few bugs (especially for ATI users) but it allows you to turn downmixing off! There are solutions (motherboards and a few video cards) that allow HDMI 1.3 over the video card (Nvidia has a card 8600 I believe and Gigabyte has an onboard solution for their new Phenom motherboards).
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #47

Quote:
Lotus,

What are you even talking about at this point? I stated that the BD/HD DVD player doesn't convert the video signal to analog via an HDMI connection to the display because it's an all-digital-signal path. That's a factual statement. What possible aspect of that can you disagree with and why would you want to seem to challenge such a basic fact?
That he's talking about is that the player decodes the AVC, VC-1 or MPEG-2 video codec ON THE PLAYER and sends it to the display. The Blu-ray player does not send a bitstream video signal to the display. Displays do not decode video codecs.
Old 02-29-2008   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpiii View Post
Neither does Halcro. For a while, they were the only game in town with HDMI and 1080p up-conversion. They have been about as current as possible. I still don't think anyone else is doing multichannel uncompressed PCM via HDMI.
Arcam's units have for 2 years or longer.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
blu, blue, blueray, bluray, conrad, digital, dvd, johnson, make, meridian, oppo, pal, player, ray, released