Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 02-27-2008   #37
FiguredMaple

Default Re: Oppo to build Blu-Ray player

I sent an email to Oppo about this on Feb. 20th and this was their response:

"We have not yet aligned ourselves to the Blu-Ray high definition video format. The primary reason for this is that we feel that the current hardware solutions are not mature enough to be implemented and released by OPPO Digital. Our operational motto is to "make a mature product better". The Blu-Ray specifications are continually in flux, and we can't afford to create a solution which will become obsolete within a year.

We are vigorously investigating all current and future hardware solutions, however we do not know when we will commit to them.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc."

I'm not confident that it is a good time to buy a Blu-ray player from any manufacturer yet. Unless I'm convinced otherwise in the months to come, I'll be waiting until after Christmas.
Old 02-27-2008   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiguredMaple View Post
I'm not confident that it is a good time to buy a Blu-ray player from any manufacturer yet. Unless I'm convinced otherwise in the months to come, I'll be waiting until after Christmas.
For the $300-400 why wait to enjoy the experience?

I could see the wait it out thing when the market was ~$1K, but for this price, it's silly NOT to jump on and enjoy the ride!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #39

One thing though kenny, and I mentioned this on another thread. The big boys, esoteric fellows, whatever you want to call the equipment we love without naming names, they MUST make pre/pros that have the current HDMI 1.3 connectivity.

As we know, our receiver company brethren have us tooth and nail on this one. So, while they can now invest dollars into a high end Blu-Ray player, it does no good if you can not connect to your own gear.
Obviously, Integra does not have this problem.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #40

Quote:
HDMI is not the only way to get native 1080p. If you have a native 1080p PC monitor or projector - you can out put native 1080p via VGA (analog - but its still non-interlaced progressive scan - no interlaced video in PC),DVI, or HDMI. Conversion is handled by the GPU on the video card.
Sure, but I wasn't talking about PCs (PCs weren't really part of the BD-player comparison discussion). The fact that PCs can legally deliver it over analog via VGA is the exception that proves the rule. This also doesn't alter the fact that any consumer using HDMI (for whatever reason) for video isn't using the video analog conversion in the player, but rather in the display device.

Last edited by DaViD Boulet; 02-27-2008 at 12:34 PM..
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #41

Quote:
Yeah I did that. You have no idea how a BD player works.
Lotus,

What are you even talking about at this point? I stated that the BD/HD DVD player doesn't convert the video signal to analog via an HDMI connection to the display because it's an all-digital-signal path. That's a factual statement. What possible aspect of that can you disagree with and why would you want to seem to challenge such a basic fact?

Last edited by DaViD Boulet; 02-27-2008 at 12:36 PM..
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
One thing though kenny, and I mentioned this on another thread. The big boys, esoteric fellows, whatever you want to call the equipment we love without naming names, they MUST make pre/pros that have the current HDMI 1.3 connectivity.

As we know, our receiver company brethren have us tooth and nail on this one. So, while they can now invest dollars into a high end Blu-Ray player, it does no good if you can not connect to your own gear.
Obviously, Integra does not have this problem.
Neither does Halcro. For a while, they were the only game in town with HDMI and 1080p up-conversion. They have been about as current as possible. I still don't think anyone else is doing multichannel uncompressed PCM via HDMI.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
blu, blue, blueray, bluray, conrad, digital, dvd, johnson, make, meridian, oppo, pal, player, ray, released