Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 02-23-2008   #19

Default Re: Oppo to build Blu-Ray player

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
The PS3 comes close to perfect in performance and has an incredibly fast load time.
Your definition of close to perfect is far from near mine. I have a PS3...

The Sharp, Panasonic, Sony, and Samsung units that have been through my house have all sounded much better and looked better.

Yes the PS3 is always up to date. I don't want to settle. I believe my statement about being willing to pay $6k shows I'm not about to settle for PS3 quality.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
David,

While the PS3 is a functional Blu-ray player, performance wise it is the weakest player I've owned (I've had three others to compare it to). Part of the thing about the PS3 is as a proprietary gaming system, even if you don't connect it to the internet (I haven't mine as I just don't need to) any new game will check the firmware and update it if need be, keeping it up to current spec. If you are connected to the internet, it will do this all the time.

I have not needed a new firmware update in any of my payers for months, since POTC came out, and they all work fine, so to me the argument that the PS3 is so functional also holds little water, and as I said, it offers the worst picture and audio of any early player.
The PS3 albeit a nice machine can't even best a computer with a x-fi soundcard going to a receivers multi channel input (much more contol and options with the PC to include bass management - and the PC does provide uncompressed lossless sound).
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008   #21

Quote:
it offers the worst picture and audio of any early player.
Huh?

Every independent test of BD players ranks the PS3 among the top performers. How is the digital audio via its HDMI inferior to that of any other machine? Are you talking about analog conversion (which doesn't impact any HDMI user)?

Even if the PS3 isn't the best performer in every aspect, I have a hard time taking seriously the above comment given that I've directly compared the Samsung and the PS3 and the PS3 outclassed it without question (of course, so did every other player). Are you including the Sammy in your above post?

Last edited by DaViD Boulet; 02-23-2008 at 10:48 PM..
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008   #22

David,

I directly A-B's the PS3 using the optical digital output as my Meridian 861 v4 doesn't have HDMI yet and identical HDMI cables through the Meridian 421 HDMI switcher to my Sony KDSR70XBR2 display.

I did this with several disc I have/had more than one copy of to minimize time delay and there was no contest. I used the Sony BDP-S1, Samsung BDP-1000 and Samsung BDP-1200 and the PS3 was by far the worst for video and lacked bass extension when compared to ANY of the three other players.

I haven't tried the HDMI digital output but for video it was plainly obvious the PS3 lacked color saturation and edge detail. I have heard many raves of the PS3 as a player, I tested it in my system, and with identical cabling (video, audio was different and I am the first to admit this) and the video of the PS3 was the worst of any Blu-ray player I own. It was still better than SD DVD but no where near what the other stand alone players gave me.

As for 'every independent test' No, mine gave me this data, and I stand by it. Try the test yourself and see if you get something different, but I doubt you will.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008   #23

Quote:
Every independent test of BD players ranks the PS3 among the top performers.
Wow. You sure love hyperbole. You're incredibly misinformed. Every independent test does not have those results. The ones you like may, but not every one.

It performs rather well in tests. In actual use it performs dismally. A device is the sum of all parts and not the capability of doing well in certain tests. A movie is not a test screen or test clip. It's a combination of many things.

Blind tests where actual people get to look at the PQ and SQ and blindly say "that is better," have generally shown the PS3 to come in last.

I've taken part in one just this last week. The Denon player came in first. The PS3 in last. This test was for PQ. In AQ the PS3 also again came in last.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008   #24

Cool Re: Oppo to build Blu-Ray player

Quote:
Huh?

Every independent test of BD players ranks the PS3 among the top performers. How is the digital audio via its HDMI inferior to that of any other machine? Are you talking about analog conversion (which doesn't impact any HDMI user)?

Even if the PS3 isn't the best performer in every aspect, I have a hard time taking seriously the above comment given that I've directly compared the Samsung and the PS3 and the PS3 outclassed it without question (of course, so did every other player). Are you including the Sammy in your above post?
Huh????!!!! Analog conversion does impact the HDMI user. The thing I have a problem with is people that think you actually listen to 0's and 1's. HDMI must undergo digital to ANALOG conversion either at the BD player throught its processor the passed through the analog outs, or HDMI straight to the receiver converted to ANALOG by the reciever to be use by what...speakers...composed of ribbons, or domes or woofers or electrostaics - makes no difference - it eventually represents an analog wave form. Humans hear in logarithams. We can't "hear" digital information - what we hear from digital is a better repesentation of the analog wave form represented perfectly by a sinewave. This is where all the oversampling in CD players and other digital equipment came into play. HDMI is no different - it eventually gets convereted to a wave pattern that can be heard by the human ear. Eventually it all comes back to analog, if not we would be able to connect a HDMI connector directly to a speaker (no D/A converts in the speaker - just any old speaker) and hear sound - but you can't. Whether the HDMI crowd believes it or not - if not for analog - you would hear this_________________________
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
blu, blue, blueray, bluray, conrad, digital, dvd, johnson, make, meridian, oppo, pal, player, ray, released