Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 02-22-2008   #13

Default Re: Oppo to build Blu-Ray player

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Junky View Post
Would the 2 channel world benefit from using the extra capacity of the HDMI interface? I was wondering if there is any benefit from shifting high end transports and DACS form using the standard digital connection methods to using HDMI? Would an HDMI digital connection eliminate any restrictions that current digital interface (toslink, coax) has?

That way, my Denon transport could just have an additional HDMI out, without needing design in the conventional toslink and coax interface. I know that it is all still in the digital domain, but the simpler the better, in my opinion.

Probably a stupid question. Just curious.
It has with SACD, but oh wait, that and DVD-A are all but dead or dying.

As for regular CD digital feed? I don't think so....
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
I've waited a decade for an affordable multi-channel tube-dac/preamp HT decoder. Sigh...

How much is that Tube CD player? Sounds tempting!
Kennyt turned me on to one at Audio Advisor - It's going for $1899.99. I've also found a cheaper model on clearance for 846.95 (I will have a better time getting my wife to go with this one - its 846.99 but it doesn't show the cool tubes ).
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #15

Listen, if Oppo is going to build a player, that is a good thing. Provided the player can perform, play movies, not have slow load up times, you get the picture, I`m sure.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
Listen, if Oppo is going to build a player, that is a good thing. Provided the player can perform, play movies, not have slow load up times, you get the picture, I`m sure.
I don't think the slow load up times can be overcome anytime soon. It would push costs of the units up. However a High End Krell, Meridian, etc. could likely make a unit that would truly eliminate this problem because they can afford the more expensive processing chips.

I'd pay $6k for a BD 2.0 player that was a tank and performed like a world class unit should.

I think Halcro's real decision to not make a next gen player was that there wasn't a winner. Now there is. So there is little reason for anyone to hold back.

I know Arcam put their BD R&D into overdrive with the recent BD winning news.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #17

Quote:
I'd pay $6k for a BD 2.0 player that was a tank and performed like a world class unit should.
The PS3 comes close to perfect in performance and has an incredibly fast load time.

I realize that it's sold below cost (or close to cost) at current retail prices, but even at full production value it should fall well below $1K. I would hope that even for $1-2K a high-end company could deliver something that's at least on par with the PS3's load time and current performance with full 2.0 profile out of the box.
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
The PS3 comes close to perfect in performance and has an incredibly fast load time.
David,

While the PS3 is a functional Blu-ray player, performance wise it is the weakest player I've owned (I've had three others to compare it to). Part of the thing about the PS3 is as a proprietary gaming system, even if you don't connect it to the internet (I haven't mine as I just don't need to) any new game will check the firmware and update it if need be, keeping it up to current spec. If you are connected to the internet, it will do this all the time.

I have not needed a new firmware update in any of my payers for months, since POTC came out, and they all work fine, so to me the argument that the PS3 is so functional also holds little water, and as I said, it offers the worst picture and audio of any early player.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
blu, blue, blueray, bluray, conrad, digital, dvd, johnson, make, meridian, oppo, pal, player, ray, released