Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 02-21-2008   #7

Default Re: Oppo to build Blu-Ray player

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpiii View Post
When I asked the Halcro rep. about this, he essentially said that it is not economically feasible for the high-end companies to build an HD player anytime in the near future, and this did include Halcro, Meridian, and others.
That does not seem to make sense. All these companies already have universal dvd players. In fact, Halcro just introduced a new universal player that avrev.com was running a sweepstakes with. (I was hoping to win!!).
It only seems to make sense to me, that these companies would make a Blu-Ray player now. Especially with the format war ending. You buy a Meridian, Halcro, Krell, Mcintosh, etc. you have their electronics, your gonna want the matching player!!
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
That does not seem to make sense. All these companies already have universal dvd players. In fact, Halcro just introduced a new universal player that avrev.com was running a sweepstakes with. (I was hoping to win!!).
It only seems to make sense to me, that these companies would make a Blu-Ray player now. Especially with the format war ending. You buy a Meridian, Halcro, Krell, Mcintosh, etc. you have their electronics, your gonna want the matching player!!
I agree that they should all build one. I wish they would which is why I asked about it when the Halcro rep. was at my house. I was just posting what he told me when I asked him the question.

LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, etc. are not exactly my first choice for buying a high end HD player.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
From Engadget

Oppo next to create a new Blu-ray player

Oppo fans left on the HD format sidelines can rejoice, as word comes that the company will add a Blu-ray player to its well-received line of DVD upscalers. According to the VP of product development, the company is "very early" in their development cycle, and we should expect more details sometime this summer. While sooner would definitely be better than later, we can't argue with a timeline that leads us to expect nothing less than a fully featured BD Live compatible player from a company with a reputation for delivering more bang for the buck.

Oppo upconverting DVD players have received great reviews & had great prices so hopefully their Blu-Ray player will be inexpensive & good preforming.
Since it won't be out till summer perhaps it'll be a profile 2.0.
Profile this, profile that...I've been winning people over to HTPC/w BD since the players are dropping like rocks. I'm ever so glad that I decided to go the PC route. This may be my last BD player (unless someone comes out with something different - transport/DAC seperates with tube analog 8ch output)! I was looking at a Vincent Tube CD player yesterday - trying to convince my spouse that it would make a great wedding anniversary gift for papa!
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #10

I know a lot of folks that use an Oppo as a digital transport. I have the new Denon Bluray transport that has only 1 output (HDMI 1.3).

Not knowing the eletronic enginering part of the mix, I have the following question. Would the 2 channel world benefit from using the extra capacity of the HDMI interface? I was wondering if there is any benefit from shifting high end transports and DACS form using the standard digital connection methods to using HDMI? Would an HDMI digital connection eliminate any restrictions that current digital interface (toslink, coax) has?

That way, my Denon transport could just have an additional HDMI out, without needing design in the conventional toslink and coax interface. I know that it is all still in the digital domain, but the simpler the better, in my opinion.

Probably a stupid question. Just curious.
HT Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #11

Quote:
This may be my last BD player (unless someone comes out with something different - transport/DAC seperates with tube analog 8ch output)! I was looking at a Vincent Tube CD player yesterday - trying to convince my spouse that it would make a great wedding anniversary gift for papa!
I've waited a decade for an affordable multi-channel tube-dac/preamp HT decoder. Sigh...

How much is that Tube CD player? Sounds tempting!
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #12

Quote:
When I asked the Halcro rep. about this, he essentially said that it is not economically feasible for the high-end companies to build an HD player anytime in the near future, and this did include Halcro, Meridian, and others.
Since high-end companies can basically set their own prices, I can't imagine how this can be true, especially given that the essential components for BD playback can be assembled for under $400 given current hardware prices for finished products at retail.
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
blu, blue, blueray, bluray, conrad, digital, dvd, johnson, make, meridian, oppo, pal, player, ray, released