Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 02-21-2008   #25

Default Re: Samsung Sued Over Blu-ray Players That Won't Play All Discs

Oh, and Spago is 2 block from my office but even that is a tough $300 bill. A lobster cobb salad and an ice tea won't set you back a Blu-ray player.

I am not sure which one I like better - the player or the salad. I guess it depends if Wolfie is in the kitchen (which unlike most celeb chefs - he is!!!)

j
Old 02-21-2008   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Most people will be upset when they spend $300 and find out a movie won't play. It's unacceptable.
I agree. Also, your dollar goes much further here in TX than CA.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
Oh, and Spago is 2 block from my office but even that is a tough $300 bill. A lobster cobb salad and an ice tea won't set you back a Blu-ray player.

I am not sure which one I like better - the player or the salad. I guess it depends if Wolfie is in the kitchen (which unlike most celeb chefs - he is!!!)

j
Most Americans don't live in Beverly Hills either.

I don't see how anyone could get say a $300 bill at Chilis without buying a lot of alcohol.

For $300 most "wives," will want that unit returned if they but it, and it immediately doesn't play a movie.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
BD players are grossly unreliable. I'd say about 10% of all BD players manufactured are "screwy," and firmware updates be damned, they just will never work properly. The rest need the firmware updates. Some units are more screwy than the others (The Samsung BD1200 for instance).
Well, I still own my BDP-1200 and since it's last firmware update when Pirates came out, it has played everything perfectly. I think the firmware update thing has really settled down a lot and any player should be functional with the current firmware.

FWIW We have heard of players being screwy and dying from the HD DVD camp as well.

All my Blu-ray players work all the time, so I am losing belief in the argument of unreliability.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #29

Thumbs down Re: Samsung Sued Over Blu-ray Players That Won't Play All Discs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
Blu-ray isn't perfect but if early adopters do not jump on board - expect LOW RES solutions to win just like with the MP3.
OMG Jerry, I can't believe you said this?

You expect people to be 'early adopters' after what just happened with HD-DVD? Why should I support (by early purchase) a emerging standard, I hope those consumers coming from HD-DVD only 'BUY-IN' to Bluray when the thing works as advertised! It is not about the $300, it is about Sony and their partners bringing Bluray to market before it was ready.

If something is poorly designed or implimented adopting it early is not going to save it, all you get is a device that doesn't work as advertised and in this case a resulting law suit!

Please don't suggest that we run out and buy these so Sony can keep things going...
Westcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008   #30

Jerry,

I'm afraid you missed my point. Regardless of whether I had paid $30, $300, or $3,000 for a new BR player, my wife would have me lugging the thing back to the store to exchange it for a player that works.

And for the time being, that player seems to be a SD DVD player...
DC solah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
blu, blue, bluray, discs, disks, load, menus, play, player, plays, ray, samsung, samung, slow, software, sued, times, wont