Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 02-19-2008   #19

Default Re: Samsung Sued Over Blu-ray Players That Won't Play All Discs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I musy have been lucky, all my Samsung players (I owned the BDP-1000 and still have the BDP-1200 have played every disc I ever put in them, some did require firmware updates, but I haven't even done one of those in months and they 1200 still plays everything fine.
Yes, kenny, you have been fortunate. But, even you have noted the inconsistencies with Blu-Ray, and you leaned for a while with HD DVD. Just because they did work. Now, we are left to contend with the issues of a format that came out to early, and still has issues. And to add, the companies are not letting us choose which format, they are making our minds up for us. I don`t know if I like that either.

weavercr, I hear you. I`m unpopular here because I do not believe it should be this hard, to just play a movie. At any point of time. And given the technology we do have before us today, it boggles my mind even further that we can not just push eject, load your dvd, push play and have your seat. So, Blu-Ray is the victor. Are we all now ready to deal with there issues on a regular basis now??
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
Yes, kenny, you have been fortunate. But, even you have noted the inconsistencies with Blu-Ray, and you leaned for a while with HD DVD. Just because they did work. Now, we are left to contend with the issues of a format that came out to early, and still has issues. And to add, the companies are not letting us choose which format, they are making our minds up for us. I don`t know if I like that either.

weavercr, I hear you. I`m unpopular here because I do not believe it should be this hard, to just play a movie. At any point of time. And given the technology we do have before us today, it boggles my mind even further that we can not just push eject, load your dvd, push play and have your seat. So, Blu-Ray is the victor. Are we all now ready to deal with there issues on a regular basis now??

Forgetting for a moment, Blu-Ray versus HD-DVD, it is absolutely amazing that the consumers are expected to take an active role in maintaining the firmware of these players, the manufacturers should have got this right the first time!

I was going to suggest that each new Blu-Ray release come with an applet on the movie disc that checks the player firmware version and make the neccessary updates before playing back the movie... Opps, but now I remember that a certain company flooded a bunch of PC's with software designed to combat copyright infringments and we all know how that turned out!

Sheesh, we are in for it now, no choices and who is in control?

(cue the evil laughter sound bite)

Last edited by Westcoaster; 02-20-2008 at 11:33 AM..
Westcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #21

Thumbs down Re: Samsung Sued Over Blu-ray Players That Won't Play All Discs

My turn to weigh in: I am appalled.

I was admittedly excited and relieved to see the purported end to the format war. I had no stake in the game (other than investment of an HD-DVD-less Xbox 360), but instead chose to avoid investing in a technology that might disappear in a matter of months. I awaited the results of the unecessary format wars from the sidelines.

However, upon this weeks news annointing BR as the format winner, I decided to start shopping for a new player. Yet, now I stumble upon this news that players are unreliable! Looks like I shall remain firmly planted on the sidelines for the forseeable future until this 'grand new technology' sorts out the bugs.

I no way do I consider myself technology averse either. But if I convinced my wife to invest in a new BR disc player only to find out that it wasn't going to play every disc we put in it, she would laugh me out of the house with my re-boxed new player and return receipt in hand right back to the store from which it came...
DC solah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #22

I am appalled that you have to check with your wife over a $300 investment. Tell me you aren't that whipped - PLEASE!!!! Its $300. You spend that going out for dinner or for an airplane ticket or on a nice pair of shoes. C'mon.

Blu-ray isn't perfect but if early adopters do not jump on board - expect LOW RES solutions to win just like with the MP3.
Old 02-21-2008   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
I am appalled that you have to check with your wife over a $300 investment. Tell me you aren't that whipped - PLEASE!!!! Its $300. You spend that going out for dinner or for an airplane ticket or on a nice pair of shoes. C'mon.

Blu-ray isn't perfect but if early adopters do not jump on board - expect LOW RES solutions to win just like with the MP3.
$300 might get you a player but it won't get you one for the future. It's best for people to wait for 2.0 players and we don't know what they're going to cost. Still $300 is a decent amount of money to spend for most Americans. You'll also find that most people don't spend $300 going out to dinner either. $300 is a decent amount of cash to most buyers.

If I didn't have access to numerous players without paying for them my wife would have been ****ed.

BD players are grossly unreliable. I'd say about 10% of all BD players manufactured are "screwy," and firmware updates be damned, they just will never work properly. The rest need the firmware updates. Some units are more screwy than the others (The Samsung BD1200 for instance).

Most people will be upset when they spend $300 and find out a movie won't play. It's unacceptable.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #24

Then "most people" have never been to dinner with Ken and I!!!!

He eats $300 worth of Stone Crab on a Tuesday for no good reason...
Sponsored Links

Tags
blu, blue, bluray, discs, disks, load, menus, play, player, plays, ray, samsung, samung, slow, software, sued, times, wont