Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Blu-ray Players (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-players-24/)
-   -   Just bought PS3 - audio connection to tube preamp question(s) (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-players/1552-just-bought-ps3-audio-connection-tube-preamp-question-s.html)

brjoon1021 02-08-2008 12:10 AM

Just bought PS3 - audio connection to tube preamp question(s)

Hi,

I just bought the 40 GB PS3 primarily as a Blu-Ray / DVD Player and I suppose even CD and SACD player. I began to hook it up and I quickly became confused. I don't want to go too far without asking some questions so that it is "new enough" to return if it won't do what I want it to do. I am surprised by no RCA outputs. DVI with RCA out for audio would have been really nice.

my setup:
A. Equipment
TV - New Sony HDTV with HDMI and all kinds of other inputs. Does have RCA audio outputs.
Preamp- vacuum tube audiophile snob pre-amp with ONLY RCA inputs.
DAC- I have a D-A Converter that has digital optical input.
B. I am using the above equipment with the PS3 to play DVDs, Blu-Ray, CD and SACD in a Hafler Matrix rear recovery home theatre system. You may not have heard of the idea, few have. In really brief details, it is not "steered" like pretty much every other home theatre implementation. The front channels are left alone and the ambient information is culled FROM the stereo signal and played through the rears and Center channels. Here is a review of a Hi-Fi piece from a few years ago that did it pretty well: http://www.stereophile.com/tubepreamps/844/index.html

Questions:
1. What quality of sound are you getting from the PS3 as a CD Player ? as a SACD player ? as a DVD Player ? I kind of hope that you have good stand alones to compare it to...? The question is relative...

2. I intend to take the digital optical out of the PS3 into the digital optical input of my DAC and run the ps3 HDMI into the HDMI of my TV for DVD and CD. Can I expect good sound going this route, assuming a good DAC, etc... (in other words, is the PS3 and its hookup scenario going to be good)?

3. If you use your PS3 to play SACDs how are you connecting it ? What is the best way for me to do so, remembering that my preamp is a tube job with only RCA inputs. SACD can't go through a DAC. I suppose that I have to take the multi_AV out to RCAs in on my pre-amp. Is there enough bandwidth with that kind of connection ?

Any other input for questions that I should have asked or would have asked if I new more would be appreciated. Caveats, too...

Thanks!

B

kennyt 02-08-2008 04:02 AM

Re: Just bought PS3 - audio connection to tube preamp question(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by brjoon1021 (Post 10896)
Questions:
1. What quality of sound are you getting from the PS3 as a CD Player ? as a SACD player ? as a DVD Player ? I kind of hope that you have good stand alones to compare it to...? The question is relative...

2. I intend to take the digital optical out of the PS3 into the digital optical input of my DAC and run the ps3 HDMI into the HDMI of my TV for DVD and CD. Can I expect good sound going this route, assuming a good DAC, etc... (in other words, is the PS3 and its hookup scenario going to be good)?

3. If you use your PS3 to play SACDs how are you connecting it ? What is the best way for me to do so, remembering that my preamp is a tube job with only RCA inputs. SACD can't go through a DAC. I suppose that I have to take the multi_AV out to RCAs in on my pre-amp. Is there enough bandwidth with that kind of connection ?

1. I find the PS3 pretty weak sonically for Blu-rays, the bass is lacking as is some detail, now mind you I have to use an optical cable vs the coaxials from my other Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S1, Samsung BDP-1000, Samsung BDP-1200) and picture was better from each and every stand alone player.

2. Haven't tried the PS3 as a CD source, SACD obviously won't work via optical digital out.

3. I believe you need to hook the PS3 up via HDMI for SACD, though I am not sure on this one, I do not have the multi AV cable to try stereo analog outs.

TheMoose 02-08-2008 08:16 AM

Well your first problem is the 40G won't play SACD's, you need the 80G for that, that was one of the cost cutting things on the lower priced model.

SACD will only play through HDMI

You can use the stock multi AV connector & use the RCA stereo outputs for audio, I think you can go in the setup menu & choose what ever audio output you want.
It will only output 1 audio source at a time if I remember right so if you want to watch a movie using HDMI or Toslink audio you have to change the settings in the menu again.

I'm using HDMI for all my audio on my 60G PS3 including SACD.

BDP 02-08-2008 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMoose (Post 10908)
I'm using HDMI for all my audio on my 60G PS3 including SACD.

Likewise I use HDMI on my 80gb model with no issues. The sound quality to me is the same that my A20 puts out for movies and it's also hooked up via HDMI.

rlpiii 02-08-2008 08:55 AM

Because my Yamaha receiver does not pass 1080p, I use HDMI out of my 60GB PS3 for video only, and fiber for audio. I have not noticed the lack of base detail as Ken suggests, but since this is a bedroom set-up for me, I probably have not paid that close attention.

I would suggest keeping the PS3 continuously plugged into the internet. I have noticed updates are much smoother for me with it set-up that way.

Lotus 02-08-2008 08:29 PM

My suggestion is buy an inexpensive Pre-Pro for movie playback that accepts HDMI 1.3.

At some point soon Outlaw Audio will be announcing one.