Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 01-26-2008   #1

Cool Sony Shrinks Blu-ray Laser size & price

Sony Shrinks Blu-ray Laser size & price

From Gizmodo

Sony Reduces Blu-ray Lasers' Size and Cost

With Blu-ray destroying the competition, the availability of cheaper units is going to be a big part in the future success of the format. That is why Sony's recent success in shrinking the basic Blu-ray reader/writer module is a turn for the better. The new modules will pave the way for thinner drive bays and cheaper players.

The units are only 3mm thick, and Sony is confident that the smaller size will allow Blu-ray functionality to become mainstream in standard 9.5mm laptop drives. Sony are further hoping that this move towards greater ubiquity is secured by the end of this year.

The cost effectiveness will be due to a simpler manufacturing process, and the 3mm modules will also be able to read dual layered BDs with organic dye in the recording layers. Such discs can be produced from traditional DVD production lines, again driving down the costs.

This kills a couple of arguments the HD-DVD supporters have said were not possible for Blu-Ray,
The ability to build laptop drives & more importantly the ability for current DVD plants to more easily retool for Blu-ray production!

This should lead the way for both lower cost players & media!
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #2

Default Re: Sony Shrinks Blu-ray Laser size & price

All I can say right now TheMoose, is I hope you are right. SONY, TOSHIBA, and WARNER BROTHERS are all doing a lot of talking, but I` not seeing any action. So, l`ll wait and see.

BTW, how was training?
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #3

Default Re: Sony Shrinks Blu-ray Laser size & price

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
BTW, how was training?
You'd need to ask Andrew but I think I flunked
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
95mm, audio, bad, bdplayer, blu, blue, bluray, cd, cost, dvd, laser, module, players, ray, size