Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 01-20-2008   #13

Default Re: PS3 Conspiracy theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
The 40G costs around $570 actually.
Not according to this Engadget story

In a piece primarily focused on Blu-ray over at Business Week, a bit of scrolling led to quite the interesting tidbit: Sony has apparently been able to slash the production cost of its PlayStation 3 in half. More specifically, it was noted that the firm has been able to "shrink the PS3's chips and tweak its design," which aided in getting the cost per machine "to around $400 now, from above $800 just before it went on sale in November 2006." According to Nikko Citigroup's Kota Ezawa, the biggest culprit for such an improvement is the "reduction in the parts count." Still, we wouldn't get our hopes up for yet another price cut just yet, but at least things are moving in the right direction.

Quote:
If they keep losing the console war they may firesale to $299 but I doubt it.
The PS2 started off slow too & it has sold over 110 million consoles!
There are a lot of big games being released this year, Metal Gear Solid 4 & Gran Turismo 5 alone will sell millions of consoles, Don't count the PS3 out yet!
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
Not according to this Engadget story

In a piece primarily focused on Blu-ray over at Business Week, a bit of scrolling led to quite the interesting tidbit: Sony has apparently been able to slash the production cost of its PlayStation 3 in half. More specifically, it was noted that the firm has been able to "shrink the PS3's chips and tweak its design," which aided in getting the cost per machine "to around $400 now, from above $800 just before it went on sale in November 2006." According to Nikko Citigroup's Kota Ezawa, the biggest culprit for such an improvement is the "reduction in the parts count." Still, we wouldn't get our hopes up for yet another price cut just yet, but at least things are moving in the right direction.

The PS2 started off slow too & it has sold over 110 million consoles!
There are a lot of big games being released this year, Metal Gear Solid 4 & Gran Turismo 5 alone will sell millions of consoles, Don't count the PS3 out yet!
I still know my co-workers at Sony in that department. The PS3 costs around $570 or so for the $399 version.

As for your continued thought that GT5 will sell "millions," of units... I don't think so. MGS4 could but not GT5.

I think I read that Mass Effect was the 2nd best selling title for next gen consoles last year and they think it had an attachment rate which resulted in about 300,000 consoles.

MGS4 is a big game and will sell PS3s. GT5 may but I'd be shocked if it did better than Mass Effect in attachments.

The 360 has exclusives that are expected to do really well too.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008   #15

Quote:
As for your continued thought that GT5 will sell "millions," of units... I don't think so. MGS4 could but not GT5.
I don't know about that, the Gran Turismo series has always been big system sellers for Playstation.
The original Gran turismo was the best selling game ever on the PS1.
Gran Turismo 4 sold 3,182,535 games in one day in Europe and Australia alone (Per gamasutra) & the entire series have sold over 40 million games!
With GT5 being the first full game in the series on the PS3 & with it being the first ever GT game with online play this will be a big system seller.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
I don't know about that, the Gran Turismo series has always been big system sellers for Playstation.
The original Gran turismo was the best selling game ever on the PS1.
Gran Turismo 4 sold 3,182,535 games in one day in Europe and Australia alone (Per gamasutra) & the entire series have sold over 40 million games!
With GT5 being the first full game in the series on the PS3 & with it being the first ever GT game with online play this will be a big system seller.
They shipped those. They didn't sell them.

You seem to think it will sell millions, but we'll just have to wait and see. I doubt it will.
Old 01-21-2008   #17

I have to say that "Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare" alone is worth the cost of a PS3. I haven't played a game this addicting since half-life.

The blu-ray performance is outstanding on my TV too.
Silver Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Supra View Post
I have to say that "Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare" alone is worth the cost of a PS3. I haven't played a game this addicting since half-life.

The blu-ray performance is outstanding on my TV too.
But I play that on the 360 and it has much better online support.

XBOX LIVE is just flat out cool and pretty much in most cases the trump card to titles that are on both platforms. Owning both (well we have a PS3 dev kit anyway) in my household we only by 360 versions. This is only because of XBOX LIVE. Generally the graphics are ever slightly in the 360's favor.
Sponsored Links

Tags
bd, blu, conspiracy, dvd, folding, foldinghome, forum, home, margin, melt, player, playstation, profit, ps3, ray, theory