Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 01-18-2008   #7

Default Re: PS3 Conspiracy theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
Look at the top gaming PC's, they cost upwards of $5000 for the fastest processors with the best graphics cards & their video isn't much better than the PS3's.
A $5,000 PC will have 2k resolution gaming and totally blow away the PS3 in Graphics. It's not even close!

Quote:
Take Folding@Home as an example, it uses all of the PS3's computing power & does so without melting the PS3 (There is a reason there is no Folding@Home option on the Xbox!)
Too bad that ability to fold doesn't result in the ability to make better AI games, etc. than the 360. All it can do is provide a better physics environment (which is cool).

The PS3 isn't as special as many make it out to be.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008   #8

Quote:
What you need to remember is first & foremost the PS3 is a true next generation gaming system, that requires tremendous horsepower under the hood.
Look at the top gaming PC's, they cost upwards of $5000 for the fastest processors with the best graphics cards & their video isn't much better than the PS3's.
!
Lotus is right here - PC video kills the PS3 hands down. PS3 vs Nvidia 8800 Ultra? No contest. But the ultra does cost more than a PS3 so it should do more. PS3 you get an entire system - its like HTIB, I know a lot of people who have them and are satisfied. A fully tricked out computer rig is like having the Snell Reference A Thx System with 18 inch subs. They both do the same things but one cost a whole lot more, does it better, but fewer people can have it. This is why the PS3 take over - there are more HTIB's sold than Snell systems (but the PS3 is way better than a HTIB).
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008   #9

I don't think Sony can drop the price much more without taking the hit themselves.

I actually think the sucker is expensive to build - even today.
Old 01-19-2008   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
I don't think Sony can drop the price much more without taking the hit themselves.

I actually think the sucker is expensive to build - even today.
At launch the 60G PS3 was $599 but Sony's cost was $840.
The 40G today is $399 & it was recently reported that Sony's cost was $400 so they cut production costs by more than 1/2 in 14 months.
I wouldn't look for another price drop soon but I'd bet on a $299 system by next Xmas.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008   #11

Quote:
At launch the 60G PS3 was $599 but Sony's cost was $840.
The 40G today is $399 & it was recently reported that Sony's cost was $400 so they cut production costs by more than 1/2 in 14 months.
I wouldn't look for another price drop soon but I'd bet on a $299 system by next Xmas.

The 40G costs around $570 actually.

If they keep losing the console war they may firesale to $299 but I doubt it.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
The 40G costs around $570 actually.
The game console was never where the money comes from in that sector. At $59.99/game, THAT is where the $$ comes from!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
bd, blu, conspiracy, dvd, folding, foldinghome, forum, home, margin, melt, player, playstation, profit, ps3, ray, theory