Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Blu-ray Players (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-players-24/)
-   -   Looking For Blu Ray player purchase advice (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-players/1390-looking-blu-ray-player-purchase-advice.html)

Shamboola 01-06-2008 02:35 PM

Looking For Blu Ray player purchase advice

Dear Fellow AV Rev members,

I am getting ready to get a Blu-ray player (I already have an HD-DVD player with my Xbox) and have a few questions:

My receiver is an NAD T-761. It does not have any HDMI connectivity but does have 5.1 inputs. I like the sound of my receiver and would rather wait until the manufactures can provide all of the internal decoding capability that Blu-ray offers.

That being said, what players are out there that have the most up to date decoding for Blu-ray such that it does not require a processor from a receiver/pre-amp? I want to be able to hear all of the DTS formats that Blu-ray can offer, including DTS Master. I understand that not all of the current films on Blu-ray even offer these formats, but I assume it will become more and more the norm.

And, if it does offer the internal decoding, will it play through my analog 5.1 inputs or only with HDMI?

My monitor is old (Pioneer Elite CRT) but gets me 1080i and I can use an adapter to use HDMI for the picture.

Finally, can I find one of these for under $700.00 if it fits my requirements?

Thanks for your help.

Rob Harrison

Ken S 01-09-2008 10:32 AM

Re: Looking For Blu Ray player purchase advice

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shamboola (Post 9008)
Dear Fellow AV Rev members,

I am getting ready to get a Blu-ray player (I already have an HD-DVD player with my Xbox) and have a few questions:

My receiver is an NAD T-761. It does not have any HDMI connectivity but does have 5.1 inputs. I like the sound of my receiver and would rather wait until the manufactures can provide all of the internal decoding capability that Blu-ray offers.

That being said, what players are out there that have the most up to date decoding for Blu-ray such that it does not require a processor from a receiver/pre-amp? I want to be able to hear all of the DTS formats that Blu-ray can offer, including DTS Master. I understand that not all of the current films on Blu-ray even offer these formats, but I assume it will become more and more the norm.

And, if it does offer the internal decoding, will it play through my analog 5.1 inputs or only with HDMI?

My monitor is old (Pioneer Elite CRT) but gets me 1080i and I can use an adapter to use HDMI for the picture.

Finally, can I find one of these for under $700.00 if it fits my requirements?

Thanks for your help.

Rob Harrison

Shamboola,

You may want to look into the Panasonic DMP-BD30K. See my post and Tee's in the "What is the best Blu-ray player on the market right now?" forum. I'm very happy with mine.

Shamboola 01-09-2008 11:47 AM

Ken,

Thanks for your response. I will take a close look at the Panasonic.

Rob

stevemtno 01-10-2008 07:30 PM

I am looking for BluRay player advice too. My wife and I are considering the following models:

Sharp Aquos DB-HP20U
Pioneer Elite BDP-95FD
Pioneer Elite BDP-94HD
Panasonic DMP-BD10 or 10AK
Panasonic DMP-BD30 or 30AK
Samsung BD-P1400

Any suggestions good or bad about any/all of the above will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

SteveMTNO

pocketman 01-10-2008 08:41 PM

At this time I would suggest to you to hold off for a couple of months. Panasonic and Pioneer will be coming out with new units at the shows in March and should be on the street as little as a month later. These units should have 1.3, connection, and possibly DTS master decoding, and of course a lower price.

I too have been looking and went out and looked at all the ones that SteveMTNO mentioned. I was almost excited about the Panasonic DMP-BD30 or 30AK until closer inspection; it does not decode many of the higher level codecs. The Samsung BD-P2400 would have been sweet but it got shelved.

My opinion...just wait just a little longer, who knows maybe by then Paramount will join Warner Bros.

kennyt 01-11-2008 05:05 AM

Rob

You will need to run component video to your older TV. Their likely is an adaptor to convert HDMI to component but why bother?

I am still of the thought that the players are not yet fully evolved and would get any of the ones you list that has analog outputs and internal decoding so you can take advantage of the new audio formats. Try them out, see how fast they load and respond to FF/Rew on a Blu-ray disc, and see which you like the best, you shouldn't have a problem finding a good one that meets your needs for less than your $700 budget.