Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Blu-ray Players (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-players-24/)
-   -   Marantz to Debut New BD8002 Blu-ray Player at CES (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-players/1376-marantz-debut-new-bd8002-blu-ray-player-ces.html)

AVRevForum.com 01-03-2008 02:56 PM

Marantz to Debut New BD8002 Blu-ray Player at CES

Marantz America will demonstrate its ultimate-quality BD8002 Blu-ray Disc Player (SRP: $2,099.99) at CES 2008. The Marantz® BD8002 Blu-ray DVD player features the acclaimed 10-bit Silicon Optix Realta chipset for the ultimate high-definition video resolution possible via HDMI 1.3 connection, as well as the finest possible audio performance, including Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio. The BD8002 will be showcased at the company's CES 2008 Open House at Mandalay Bay, and is scheduled for release in in the second quarter of 2008.

Unprecedented Video and Audio Performance
Marantz' new BD8002 Blu-ray Disc Player is designed to provide users with unprecedented levels of quality in both audio and video reproduction, plus exciting new interactive DVD playback features. It features an SD card reader for full interactivity, offering content providers a variety of options for adding enhanced content such as games, movie trailers and more.

Noted Kevin Zarow, Vice President, Marketing and Product Development, Marantz America, Inc: "With the launch of the BD8002 Blu-Ray player, Marantz is thrilled to be able to offer another high-performance option for those discriminating consumers in search of the enhanced enjoyment provided by HD content. Home entertainment enthusiasts in search of true cinema-like realism will find that the BD8002 is an ideal companion to any one of the Marantz’ highly acclaimed DLP projectors."

Thanks to it 10-bit Silicon Optix Realta chipset, the BD8002 Blu-ray DVD player offers improved video performance with upconversion and IP scaling to 1080p. The pixel-by-pixel and Digital Noise Reduction feature afforded by this technology allows the player to remove image-degrading artifacts, resulting in absolutely clear, high-resolution images. Current Marantz customers who own one of Marantz’ highly acclaimed DLP projectors will be pleased to know that like the current DV9600, the BD8002 will also output 480i via HDMI. The player also offers High Resolution HD Audio with decoding of Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio and is capable of outputting both 7.1-channel analog signals and PCM audio via HDMI. Finally, in addition to its compatibility with both Blu-Ray and DVD discs, the BD8002 can also handle VCDs, SVCDs, MP3s, WMA and DivX video files, and display JPEG images – making it the ideal solution for high-quality enjoyment of today’s many audio and video formats.

Secondary Video and Audio Decoders
In keeping with the guidelines mandated by the Blu-ray Association for BD-ROM version 1 Profile 1.1 players, the Marantz BD8002 incorporates a secondary audio and video decoder that allows for simultaneous playback of a secondary audio and video track which may be used for interactive audio and commentary and for picture-in-picture capability (respectively). Additional information (subtitles, audio streams, camera angles, trailers, games, etc.) can be downloaded from the Internet via computer and stored on a SD card that either player will accept. This content can be played with the original content of Blu-ray Discs.

deacongreg 01-03-2008 03:48 PM

Re: Marantz to Debut New BD8002 Blu-ray Player at CES

Looks like a sure fired winner. However, with the current state of this format war at its height, and the feud becoming more fierce daily, do we need a all out assault for a Blu-Ray player now?

I know its the high end way, but the trend seems to be players under $1000.00. Mostly all offer great video and audio. And with the overall marketplace still in a flux, is this a good decision by Marantz? Especially with the Toshiba players that are on the market at $500.00 and less?

Lotus 01-03-2008 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deacongreg (Post 8748)
Looks like a sure fired winner. However, with the current state of this format war at its height, and the feud becoming more fierce daily, do we need a all out assault for a Blu-Ray player now?

I know its the high end way, but the trend seems to be players under $1000.00. Mostly all offer great video and audio. And with the overall marketplace still in a flux, is this a good decision by Marantz? Especially with the Toshiba players that are on the market at $500.00 and less?

It's their Denon player repackaged. D&M Holdings can get the players out to more people under both brands.

deacongreg 01-03-2008 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lotus (Post 8751)
It's their Denon player repackaged. D&M Holdings can get the players out to more people under both brands.

Well, that part is very true. But, given the current conditions, you know what I`m saying, right?

Lotus 01-03-2008 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deacongreg (Post 8758)
Well, that part is very true. But, given the current conditions, you know what I`m saying, right?

I fully agree it's price point is prohibitive. I'm supposed to partake in a Denon representation of the new units compared with the other BD units so I can see the difference in quality next week.

It will be interesting to see. Obviously $2k is an expensive machine. It won't really have much to do with the war. Just as a Meridian HD DVD player would have little to do with the war.

kennyt 01-03-2008 05:14 PM

I find it funny that the entire High Def Disc market is fueled solely by LOW COST!

Even an upper end guy like me is wary to buy something in the $2K range for these formats yet..... I have been through several upgrades already, and suspect I will see several more before I stabilize, so even to me (yes Greg, even ME!) it seems somewhat out of range to drop $2K on a player I know I will likely have to dump a few months later for $500.

I guess I am showing my battle scars from the format 'war'. I am weary, tired and flat out over the battle.

Both formats offer great video, audio we only previously could have dreamed of (as long as you have a receiver as no pre/pro's do the decoding yet, well one but you can't get it!) they just need to make themselves convenient and work like SD DVD players and for God's sake let's stop the damn format war!