Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Blu-ray Players (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-players-24/)
-   -   Decided:Sony BDP-S500 and Toshiba HD-A35 (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-players/1347-decided-sony-bdp-s500-toshiba-hd-a35.html)

melcuemba 12-27-2007 11:39 PM

Decided:Sony BDP-S500 and Toshiba HD-A35

Esteemed colleagues! I am done! I have decided to get two players as oppose to the Samsung BD-UP5000 because alone each player offere all the major functionality. Now this is where you come in. Can anyone talk me out of it with legitimate reasons. They both have the functionality (video and audio)- no ethernet on Sony but this is no big deal. Am I making the bext decision????

Lotus 12-28-2007 02:56 PM

Re: Decided:Sony BDP-S500 and Toshiba HD-A35

Quote:

Originally Posted by melcuemba (Post 8146)
Esteemed colleagues! I am done! I have decided to get two players as oppose to the Samsung BD-UP5000 because alone each player offere all the major functionality. Now this is where you come in. Can anyone talk me out of it with legitimate reasons. They both have the functionality (video and audio)- no ethernet on Sony but this is no big deal. Am I making the bext decision????

I see no reason to not get the BD-UP5000 it would cost less and perform equally if not better than the other two (at least it would outperform the A35 I think).

It takes up less space too.

I'd think it smarter to get the XA2 and a Sony BDPS300 if you're trying to go with two units.

The BD-UP5000 has so far been perfect for me. I've had no problems and it appears to handle every disc I put in it.

kennyt 12-28-2007 05:53 PM

Lotus,

I still haven't found the BD-UP5000 for less than $799, for this you can easily get separate players for both formats and swap each out as you might need.

I agree with your point of spacer and HDMI sparing, but not sure it is the most economical way to go yet......

Soon...... I am sure it will be, but for now, I can get BD and HD DVD for less.

Lotus 12-28-2007 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 8204)
Lotus,

I still haven't found the BD-UP5000 for less than $799, for this you can easily get separate players for both formats and swap each out as you might need.

I agree with your point of spacer and HDMI sparing, but not sure it is the most economical way to go yet......

Soon...... I am sure it will be, but for now, I can get BD and HD DVD for less.

Sure you can get two players for as little as $550 at Best Buy or $650 for two 1080p players.

He is looking at two $400 players though.

melcuemba 12-28-2007 08:58 PM

well, I worked out deal to get the Sony BDP S500 for 500 and the Toshiba A35 for 399. So together they are about 899 versus 799. But I also get all the codecs unlike the Samsung BDP 5000. I spoke to a Tier 3 rep at Samsung and pressured him to help me understand the audio and he confirmed that it will not have the HD codecs. I was suspect about this from other forums and discussions with some other enthusiast. So for now I feel these two units will be the best for me. The S300 and A30 do not have all the codecs either.

Lotus 12-28-2007 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melcuemba (Post 8217)
well, I worked out deal to get the Sony BDP S500 for 500 and the Toshiba A35 for 399. So together they are about 899 versus 799. But I also get all the codecs unlike the Samsung BDP 5000. I spoke to a Tier 3 rep at Samsung and pressured him to help me understand the audio and he confirmed that it will not have the HD codecs. I was suspect about this from other forums and discussions with some other enthusiast. So for now I feel these two units will be the best for me. The S300 and A30 do not have all the codecs either.

The Samsung unit does all the codecs. I use it and have had no problems. Currently I'm having my Denon 3808 decode everything, but I've run it through Analog outputs too.

There are plenty of Dolby TrueHD titles and they've all worked flawlessly.

They say they will have a firmware update for DTS-MA. Trust me that isn't a big deal. Uncompressed is Uncompressed. Dolby TrueHD is just fine. It passes the DTS signal perfectly to a Receiver or Pre-Pro. It will work with DTS-MA soon.

Don't be fooled by everyone's confusion. A Tier 3 rep at Samsung may know as much about it as some salesperson at Best Buy.

The BD-UP5000 has better video than the units you're talking about and can handle the advanced codecs just fine. It is BD 1.1 compliant as well.