Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 03-01-2008   #37

Default Re: Samsung BD-UP5000 update

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Anyone using this player?

I was wondering how reliable it's been.
This is a technically excellent player-- Best PQ I have ever seen for Blu-ray and upconverted DVD... beat my $2K Denon DVD5900 hands down... Many problems (and there were quite a few) were cleared up with first firmware update--
The lack of TrueHD decoding is a drag-- IF the promised firmware appears for TrueHD decoding, etc., this will be the best player going...
Verge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008   #38

Word on the street is Samsung canned the BD-UP5000!!!

No combo player for Samsung!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008   #39

Quote:
Word on the street is Samsung canned the BD-UP5000!!!

No combo player for Samsung!
It was the BP-U5500 that was killed.

Samsung cancelled it's new dual format player

From Gizmodo

Samsung just cancelled their $599 second-gen dual format Blu-ray/HD DVD player, the BP-U5500, which was due out soonish. Looks like LG gets the dual player market for HD DVD flotsam all to its self. We bet they're thrilled.

From Engadget,

Given the finality of the format war, we can't say we're totally shocked to hear that Samsung will be pulling the plug on its recently announced BD-UP5500 HD DVD / Blu-ray combo player, but still, it's not good news for folks planning to pick it up for kicks (or watching their library of HD DVDs). Interestingly enough, Sammy had already planned to axe its current flagship hybrid player -- the BD-UP5000 -- this May, just months after it went on sale and began taking heat for not meeting expectations. On the plus side, the firm's latest BD-only player was a real gem, so hopefully we'll see lots more where that came from in the future.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008   #40

I received this machine two days ago. Great picture quality, but I hate the Dolby TrueHD bug. I am running the analog 7.1 audio cables to the EXT. IN on my receiver.

I don't know if this is by design or a bug in the player, but I do not get any audio on my two surround back speakers while playing movies with 6.1 or 7.1 sound (ie The Condemned and X-Men The Last Stand.) It works fine when I switch to optical inputs, but doesn't work in EXT. IN Mode.

There is also another problem with this machine that no one has gone into detail about and this affects all users with a Dolby-Digital capable receiver. Everyone has read about the Dolby TrueHD problem with this player, but normally just playing the standard Dolby Digital track is satisfactory. But, not the case with some Blu-Ray Discs that ONLY have a Dolby TrueHD English track. The audio is only output on the FL and FR speakers.

The following are a few of the Blu-Ray Discs that ONLY have a Dolby TrueHD English track: 30 Days of Night, Resident Evil, Spider-Man, and Spider-Man 2.

I also own the PlayStation 3 and this does not happen. The PS3 is at least able to extract a standard DD 5.1 signal from a Dolby TrueHD track. It's times like these that I wish Blu-Ray will go back to PCM 5.1 sound which worked fine.

Samsung better get that firmware out.

The B-Man
thedivine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008   #41

divine1,

I wouldn't hold my breath for a firmware update for a combo player now that the format war is over and Samsung has dropped the player. You might get one, but you might not......
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008   #42

Quote:
divine1,

I wouldn't hold my breath for a firmware update for a combo player now that the format war is over and Samsung has dropped the player. You might get one, but you might not......
LG is still putting out F/W updates. But, I think they are the only ones making combo players and still somewhat supporting HD DVD.
Toshiba promised to send me a F/W update in the mail since my HD-A2 never has been able to download it from the net, and it will not recognize the discs I have burned.

Of the 4 HD players I have, the Toshiba has been the hardest to update F/W.

Sony PS3 - easiest, never any problems

LG BH100 - would not recognize the burned disc multiple times for the first update and had to get a disc from my dealer. The 2nd update burned and installed no problems.

LG BH200 - easy, downloaded new F/W to thumb drive that plugs in via USB on the front, no problems. The player recognizing the internet connection is problematic, and that is the only way to update the driver S/W to version 0702. It took 4 - 5 trys to finally get it to work.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
bd, bdup5000, blue, cable, decoding, dts, forum, jeans, monoprice, play, sacd, samsung, system, up5000, update, updates