Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 12-25-2007   #25

Default Re: Samsung BD-UP5000 update

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Wires, all of them, do make a difference, how much depends on the wire and your system. the more resolving a system, the easier it is to see the benefits, though I know Transparent loves to do a demo where they use an inexpensive system and put totally sick cables into it and I haven;t ever heard one person who's seen the demo not have heard the difference.
If it were true that all wires make a difference and more expensive wires improve the sound significantly, there would be quite a few double-blinded studies to prove that.

If I made wires that cost $500, and I have proof that my wires sounded better than a $5, $10, 20$, or $50 wire, I would do a double-blinded study with 500 subjects and prove it once and for all to the whole world. Then my sales would shoot up like crazy, and everyone would want to buy my wires.

The reason all these ultra-expensive wire companies don't do double-blinded studies is because they have everything to lose and nothing to gain. They know that the majority of the people would not hear a diffference.

Sure, I will give you the benefit of the doubt if you say that you can hear a difference in wires. There is no harm done. I am cool with that.

And you don't have to prove a thing. Ever. It's cool.

This is a hobby, and we should have fun with it.

As I have said, if money were no object, I would love to own the most expensive wire available.

It is true people have said they can hear the difference among wires. Very SUBJECTIVE.
It is also true that there is absolutely no proof to that statement. Very OBJECTIVE.

If I were to ask you, "Is there even one double-blinded study to prove that expensive wires sound better than less expensive wire?"

The answer would be "NO".

If there are such studies, probably ten million people would want to know about it.

If I told you I have developed a new anti-hypertensive agent that effective decreases blood pressure and my only "PROOF" was that people said they "FELT" like their BPs dropped, you laugh at me. You would not take me seriously.

You would ask, "Do you have at least one double-blinded study showing the actual decreases in BPs?"

But then again, Audio is only a hobby, right?

Do we want people to take our hobby seriously?

Maybe not. :-)

Perhaps that would be boring? :-)

Last edited by AcuDefTechGuy; 12-25-2007 at 12:27 PM..
AcuDefTechGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007   #26

AcuDefTechGuy,

If you want to look for doubler blind prospective studies, you'll find a handful in medicine, they are just not practical to do, so much of what we do changes periodically.

As far as double blind tests of cables, several magazines have done them, and the results have been sporadic.

That said, I've got cables in my system that cost more than some systems, and to me, they DO make a difference that is audible ands worth it, so I guess I am supporting your point while denying it!

I never believed in power cords until I had an at length discussion with an EE, then I tried some, and now I am hooked!

In the end, use your ears and wallet to decide, buy what is right for you and enjoy it! that's what hobbies are for!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007   #27

I didn't wait. I got a Toshiba A3 for $199 (+ 7 FREE movies) and a PS3 40GB w/1080p Blu Ray for $399 (+ 6 FREE movies). So for $598 TOTAL I have BOTH formats (each on separate HDMI inputs on my receiver), plus 13 movies, PLUS INSURANCE that, if one machine breaks, I still have the other HD player (and either can upscale regular DVDs as well). I'm in HD heaven!
mmayer54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007   #28

mmayer54,

And you have a pretty cool gaming system! I am not a gamer, but since I got my PS3, I've started to become one.... The graphics are amazing and the 5.1 surround really adds to the fun!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007   #29

Angry Re: Samsung BD-UP5000 update

I am disappointed that there was hardly any information about the new BD-UP5000 here. How did this discussion (forum) digress from the Samsung BD-UP5000 to cables?
Ken S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007   #30

Thumbs up Re: Samsung BD-UP5000 update

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmayer54 View Post
I didn't wait. I got a Toshiba A3 for $199 (+ 7 FREE movies) and a PS3 40GB w/1080p Blu Ray for $399 (+ 6 FREE movies). So for $598 TOTAL I have BOTH formats (each on separate HDMI inputs on my receiver), plus 13 movies, PLUS INSURANCE that, if one machine breaks, I still have the other HD player (and either can upscale regular DVDs as well). I'm in HD heaven!
Good for you. You definitely got yourself a great deal, and got some movies in the process. You were braver than myself. Enjoy.

Now, what do you have these two units connected to/ Another words, the rest of your system?
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
bd, bdup5000, blue, cable, decoding, dts, forum, jeans, monoprice, play, sacd, samsung, system, up5000, update, updates