Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 12-22-2007   #13

Default Re: Samsung BD-UP5000 update

Quote:
Originally Posted by melcuemba View Post
Well this is somewhat comforting! Excuse my ignornace but what is the difference between dts-MA and dts-HD? Also what is the whole bit stream thing- to me as long as it decodes Dolby TRUREHD and dts-HD that should be it! Or am I missing something totally?
DTS-HD is vague. It could be either or both. It would help if everyone make a distinction and say either DTS-HD MA or DTS-HD HR or just DTS-MA vs DTS-HR.

DTS-MA is LOSSLESS - NO Compression.
DTS-HR is Lossy compression, probably a little better than Dolby Digital Plus.

DTS-MA, Dolby TrueHD, and Uncompressed PCM are equivalent -- they are all LOSSLESS.

Some players can INTERNALLY decode DTS-HR, but NONE can Interanally decode DTS-MA yet.

If your receiver can decode DTS-MA, then you don't have to worry. The Samsung, Sony, and Panasonic BD players will send the BITSTREAM information to your receiver, which will then decode DTS-MA and TrueHD.
AcuDefTechGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007   #14

Talking Re: Samsung BD-UP5000 update

now that is knowledge. Thanks! You have just saved me hours of research! Now to test your Phd skills. I am looking to get Monster Cables (the Ultra high Speed) to go from Samsung BDP 5000 to Denon 4308CI. Are there any cables that you would recommend better than these to pass the codecs and the video. Those cables for about 8M are expensive (180+)
melcuemba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by melcuemba View Post
now that is knowledge. Thanks! You have just saved me hours of research! Now to test your Phd skills. I am looking to get Monster Cables (the Ultra high Speed) to go from Samsung BDP 5000 to Denon 4308CI. Are there any cables that you would recommend better than these to pass the codecs and the video. Those cables for about 8M are expensive (180+)
You're going to want a 1080p capable cable or HDMI 1.3 category 2 compliant cable.

There aren't that many that are HDMI 1.3 rated category 2(or advertised as such). There is actually a huge difference. Many HDMI cables are only 74.25MHZ and it takes 150MHZ to properly transmit 1080p. Category 2 cables are 300MHZ.

You can get one for $70 here:

http://www.mycablemart.com/store/car...duct_list&c=88
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #16

While few cables are truly certified for HDMI 1.3 Cat 2, if you really want to go cheap, check out Monoprice, I just bought some of there cables, they are so cheap that I bought a half a dozen extra just to keep around!

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

There 8M HDMI 1.3 Cat 2 cable is $41.42 and their shipping is cheap as well. I personally use the Monster M1000's for my main rig, but I have a friend who has a 40 foot run of Monoprice running 1080p without any issues.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
While few cables are truly certified for HDMI 1.3 Cat 2, if you really want to go cheap, check out Monoprice, I just bought some of there cables, they are so cheap that I bought a half a dozen extra just to keep around!

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

There 8M HDMI 1.3 Cat 2 cable is $41.42 and their shipping is cheap as well. I personally use the Monster M1000's for my main rig, but I have a friend who has a 40 foot run of Monoprice running 1080p without any issues.
I have several Monoprice cables too & there is nothing wrong with them, they are good cables at an inexpensive price.
That said I think if I had a long run in a wall I would pony up for a Monster cable just for peace of mind.
It's one thing to have a 2M cable go out that's out in the open & quite another to have one fail that is inaccessible or very hard to replace.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #18

I hear you Moose! alan worried about that before running the Monoprice, but he got away with it, so is happy. Had he not.... Well it wouldn't have mattered as he is currently gutting the entire HT now but....
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
bd, bdup5000, blue, cable, decoding, dts, forum, jeans, monoprice, play, sacd, samsung, system, up5000, update, updates