Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 12-21-2007   #7

Default Re: Samsung BD-UP5000 update

It would be really nice if it could also INTERNALLY decode DTS-MA, in addition to the Bitstream!
It has INTERNAL decoders for everything else (TrueHD) plus the 7.1 Analog Output.
Why not have an internal DTS-MA decoder?
AcuDefTechGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post
It would be really nice if it could also INTERNALLY decode DTS-MA, in addition to the Bitstream!
It has INTERNAL decoders for everything else (TrueHD) plus the 7.1 Analog Output.
Why not have an internal DTS-MA decoder?
Hmmm, I'll go check but my test unit from Samsung could do this. Perhaps the shipped model is waiting a firmware update to do it. The manual could just be wrong if that is what you're going on. They made some software changes before shipping (the reason for the delay).

I'll test it out tonight.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Hmmm, I'll go check but my test unit from Samsung could do this. Perhaps the shipped model is waiting a firmware update to do it. The manual could just be wrong if that is what you're going on. They made some software changes before shipping (the reason for the delay).

I'll test it out tonight.
I was going to buy the Samsung BD-UP5000, but then when I read the on-line manual, it says that it could only send DTS-HD MA & DTS-HR via Bitstream, not internally decode DTS-MA. It says that it can decode TrueHD and all the other formats.

But how would you check to see if it could REALLY Internally Decode DTS-MA???

Even if you used the 7.1 Analog Output, it would just send the DTS-Core and not the DTS-MA.

So how could anyone verify that it could IN FACT internally decode DTS-MA?

For example, my Panasonic DMP-BD10A can internally decode DTS-HR, but not DTS-MA. When you check the Surround Setting on the Panasonic, it says "DTS-HD". So when I play any movie with DTS-MA (Die Hard 4, Day After Tomorrow, AVP, etc.), the information screen just says "DTS-HD".

So on the BD-UP5000, if you select "DTS-MA" and use the 7.1 Analog Output, the Information screen may say "DTS-MA" or "DTS-HD", but how could you verify that it is TRULY DTS-MA and not DTS-Core?
AcuDefTechGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post
I was going to buy the Samsung BD-UP5000, but then when I read the on-line manual, it says that it could only send DTS-HD MA & DTS-HR via Bitstream, not internally decode DTS-MA. It says that it can decode TrueHD and all the other formats.

But how would you check to see if it could REALLY Internally Decode DTS-MA???

Even if you used the 7.1 Analog Output, it would just send the DTS-Core and not the DTS-MA.

So how could anyone verify that it could IN FACT internally decode DTS-MA?

For example, my Panasonic DMP-BD10A can internally decode DTS-HR, but not DTS-MA. When you check the Surround Setting on the Panasonic, it says "DTS-HD". So when I play any movie with DTS-MA (Die Hard 4, Day After Tomorrow, AVP, etc.), the information screen just says "DTS-HD".

So on the BD-UP5000, if you select "DTS-MA" and use the 7.1 Analog Output, the Information screen may say "DTS-MA" or "DTS-HD", but how could you verify that it is TRULY DTS-MA and not DTS-Core?
Sound Quality.

I can tell the difference between them.
Old 12-21-2007   #11

Cool Re: Samsung BD-UP5000 update

Well this is somewhat comforting! Excuse my ignornace but what is the difference between dts-MA and dts-HD? Also what is the whole bit stream thing- to me as long as it decodes Dolby TRUREHD and dts-HD that should be it! Or am I missing something totally?
melcuemba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by melcuemba View Post
Well this is somewhat comforting! Excuse my ignornace but what is the difference between dts-MA and dts-HD? Also what is the whole bit stream thing- to me as long as it decodes Dolby TRUREHD and dts-HD that should be it! Or am I missing something totally?

The player either decodes the codec in box or sends it out bitstream via HDMI to a Reciever or Processor which would then decode the codec. Technically the processor/receiver would be the best choice if it has better DACs (and likely would).

However most Receiver and Processors don't have HDMI 1.3, so the player has to decode it for the majority. This is then passed by analog outputs to analog inputs on a Receiver or Processor.

Worst case scenario on this unit it will need a dreaded firmware upgrade for the extra DTS codecs.
Sponsored Links

Tags
bd, bdup5000, blue, cable, decoding, dts, forum, jeans, monoprice, play, sacd, samsung, system, up5000, update, updates