Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Blu-ray Players (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-players-24/)
-   -   Blu-ray problems (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-players/1296-blu-ray-problems.html)

prerich 12-13-2007 07:31 AM

Blu-ray problems

Well, I now have my first experience with blu-ray and might I say it is less than comforting. I have a computer based blu-ray and my Pc exceeds all requirements for Blu-ray playback. I bought my first blu-ray film "Meet the Robinsons" only to discover that blu-ray wouldln't play it because of a protection scheme other than HDCP. Updated a utility on my computer and I'm off to the races - or at least I thought.

Movie plays fine for about 30 minutes and locks up. So I'm thinking maybe I need a firmware update or a new processor - anything! I start the movie again to see how much of my processor is being used - only 30% max on each core. I kill every process that I can, movie still stops at the same point! I didn't have this problem with HD-DVD (Xbox addon). I try different player software (I have a total of three - one was just totally useless).

I will perform a 99.1mb update patch on my main player and see if that helps. If this is what I'm to expect from blu-ray (unless I buy a PS3 which I do not want - all I want is a blu-ray, not all that other stuff) I'm in for a sad day indeed.

I believe part of the problem with blu-ray is too much protection, no standardization amongst the disc, and too many manufacturers (during an adoption phase product) which puts everything out of wack.

This reminds me of a Mac vs PC - Mac people say they buy Macs because they just work. They work because there is a limited amount of hardware designed for it - if it says Mac - it will work in it. PC's are not stanardized - you can go with Windows, Linux, ect. many different parts and such - which is good for a techie. HD-DVD works and works very well. I haven't had a bad disc yet (meaning one that would not play).

Blu-ray on the other hand - fails me out the box. Not bashing blu-ray (because I own the format now) but something has got to be done - I'm tempted to buy Meet the Robinsons in regular DVD sell the blu-ray version for $14.00 to someone with a PS3 and just upscale the DVD version. If Disney wants my blu-ray dollars it has to come better than this!

deacongreg 12-13-2007 10:32 AM

Re: Blu-ray problems

Amen.

prerich 12-13-2007 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deacongreg (Post 7468)
Amen.

Yeah, I just applied the software update and once again - lock up in the same place. I can actually forgo playing all the other chapters, if I click on chapter 15 - it locks up! On my way to Wal-Mart to buy Meet the Robinsons in STANDARD DEFINITION - anybody want to buy a Meet the Robinsons Blu-ray cheap?

tigeraudio2007 12-13-2007 04:05 PM

I highly recommend leaving a PC out of the loop when it comes to the high-definition formats. I know that the technology is out there, but the software and hardware is still changing. More "standards" are yet to come. PCs are notorious for hardware failures even without the added issues that come with HD DVD and Blu-ray. Think of it like this. The first DVD-ROMs and DVD-RAMs were very flaky. It takes a few generations of software and hardware components to get everything to play nicely together. Also, minimum specs are released for using Blu-ray on the computer, but just like other hardware and software, you will find that the minimum specs just don't quite cover it. Anyway, like you said, a PC has many manufacturers so chances are there are components that don't like working together. I have Pro Tools running on a PC and it took forever to get all the kinks worked out. Pro Tools gets picky over which video card you have in your system. Yeah, that's logic, sound editing software crashing because of a video device driver.

In the end, get a standalone player. I love my Samsung BD-P1400. I know everything you read says that it is a piece of junk, but let me tell ya. Mine has functioned near perfectly. The only glitch is a very rare stutter in the picture. But never once has it locked up or forced me to restart the player or movie.

Amazon has the BD-P1400 player for $280. This is the player that is also being offered at Costco for about $275. Great player as far as I am concerned. Handles SD DVD very well too.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...nandscathed-20

prerich 12-13-2007 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigeraudio2007 (Post 7476)
I highly recommend leaving a PC out of the loop when it comes to the high-definition formats. I know that the technology is out there, but the software and hardware is still changing. More "standards" are yet to come. PCs are notorious for hardware failures even without the added issues that come with HD DVD and Blu-ray. Think of it like this. The first DVD-ROMs and DVD-RAMs were very flaky. It takes a few generations of software and hardware components to get everything to play nicely together. Also, minimum specs are released for using Blu-ray on the computer, but just like other hardware and software, you will find that the minimum specs just don't quite cover it. Anyway, like you said, a PC has many manufacturers so chances are there are components that don't like working together. I have Pro Tools running on a PC and it took forever to get all the kinks worked out. Pro Tools gets picky over which video card you have in your system. Yeah, that's logic, sound editing software crashing because of a video device driver.

In the end, get a standalone player. I love my Samsung BD-P1400. I know everything you read says that it is a piece of junk, but let me tell ya. Mine has functioned near perfectly. The only glitch is a very rare stutter in the picture. But never once has it locked up or forced me to restart the player or movie.

Amazon has the BD-P1400 player for $280. This is the player that is also being offered at Costco for about $275. Great player as far as I am concerned. Handles SD DVD very well too.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...nandscathed-20

Yeah, I' do hear that the 1400 is kinda' weak. Maybe I can win a cheap one on ebay. My xbox hd-dvd addon has no problems with the PC - I play HD-DVD's through it just fine. Oh, and as far as minimum specs are concerned - my computer exceeds the minimum specs (never believe minimum specs i.e. if it says 256 mb of ram - you'd better have 1gb)

Lotus 12-13-2007 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prerich (Post 7477)
Yeah, I' do hear that the 1400 is kinda' weak. Maybe I can win a cheap one on ebay. My xbox hd-dvd addon has no problems with the PC - I play HD-DVD's through it just fine. Oh, and as far as minimum specs are concerned - my computer exceeds the minimum specs (never believe minimum specs i.e. if it says 256 mb of ram - you'd better have 1gb)

The 1400 is actually pretty strong of a player. Just don't get a lemon. Like many items that have slightly more lemons than others they get a lot of play on internet sites.

There is nothing truly bad about the 1400 it's leaps and bounds beyond the original Samsung unit.

I'd say go for it. It's a steal right now at $275.