Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 12-17-2007   #25

Talking Re: Blu-ray problems

New update and I hope final:

Found out that Nvidia came out with a new forceware driver in November. Installed it and now my blu-ray works perfectly!!!!! I decided to do a triple check of everything and I ran the BD advisor for my software one more time - It used to be all green but then it came back red on HDCP and my video driver (they were green before). That's when I looked for a possible new driver - works great! I know a lot of you purist would never let a PC into your rig - but when my cash flow changed - I had to change. Now my money is starting to look like it used to, but I'm not a quick to buy on impulse. My computer has served as a backup preamp and my receiver serves as my preamp and backup amps. I'm changing with the times but I still like quality (but inexpensive quality). Thanks for all the suggestions - now lets see how the battle fairs at my home..
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007   #26

Default Re: Blu-ray problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigeraudio2007 View Post
I got the player and immediately installed the firmware update from early-mid November just to get the DTS MAster HD bitstream audio support. The player has played every disc thus far. Eeven Spider-man 3, Hairspray, Ratatouille, Cars, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Cast Away, Superbad, and Pirates At World's End. And all of those were released well after the player's firmware which is a good sign.

I just read reports yesterday that "Live Free or Die Hard" does not play on the player. I have yet to try this disc. I was going to try it tonight. However, Samsung released another firmware update specifically for that disc. The lastest firmware build available for download is version 1.2 build date 12/11/2007. This firmware apparently also makes all discs load faster. Like I said I was going to try all this tonight. I'll let you know.

With that said, the BDP1400 is a solid Blu-ray player. I use it for Blu-ray and SD DVD. I highly recommend it. The new Panasonic is supposed to be decent, but it is more expensive and does not handle SD DVD deinterlacing very well. Go with the Samsung. You won't be disappointed.
It's very amusing that you all have to update your drivers to play certain movies. I didn't know this.

However I use my XBOX 360 and rent my HD-DVD disc from Netflix and have never had a problem playing any certain titile. There have been no "updates" it works right out the box.
1shotstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotstudios View Post
It's very amusing that you all have to update your drivers to play certain movies. I didn't know this.

However I use my XBOX 360 and rent my HD-DVD disc from Netflix and have never had a problem playing any certain titile. There have been no "updates" it works right out the box.
You are correct - I have never had to do any of this for HD-DVD only for Blu-Ray - My HD-DVD titles worked right out the box. (I also have the 360 add-on and the $98.00
Toshiba HD-A2). I am glad to finally get the Blu-Ray running right (that is until I find something else "wrong") I like having both worlds at my finger tips. People freak when I buy both formats .
Old 12-17-2007   #28

That may be, but with your Xbox 360 drive you are not getting 1080p or the new audio formats. To me that is the whole point of upgrading to these new next-gen formats. Because we sure as heck know it is not for its convenience factor. I have yet to have to apply a firmware upgrade to get a disc to work. Even Live Free or Die Hard worked fine with an older firmware on my Samsung BD-1400. Some people just got lemons or semi-lemons. That is where the big problem I see is. When you buy a player you expect it to work and that is not seemingly the case with next gen players.
tigeraudio2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007   #29

The problem with BD-J on BD is that while it opens up more possibilities for creative use, it also opens up more possibilities for compatibility issues since all use-cases can't be tested in advance of hardware production.

These firmware-updates should become less and less common as the hardware side gets a handle on how BD-J is being used and v.v.

I expect that after profile 1.1 it will become relatively rare.

My PS3 hasn't needed a new update since the Pirate's movies (the only software-instigated updated I've needed thus far).
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007   #30

Talking Re: Blu-ray problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigeraudio2007 View Post
That may be, but with your Xbox 360 drive you are not getting 1080p or the new audio formats. To me that is the whole point of upgrading to these new next-gen formats. Because we sure as heck know it is not for its convenience factor. I have yet to have to apply a firmware upgrade to get a disc to work. Even Live Free or Die Hard worked fine with an older firmware on my Samsung BD-1400. Some people just got lemons or semi-lemons. That is where the big problem I see is. When you buy a player you expect it to work and that is not seemingly the case with next gen players.
How can I put it, right now 1080p means nothing to me (I like to rhyme from time to time). My projector is 720p native and I can't tell the visual difference between 720p and 1080p on a 32 inch monitor - they both look stunning. I must correct you on the 1080p issue also - the addon will only do 1080i through component (XBOX 360) - but it will do 1080p through VGA,HDMI, DVI and will upconvert regular DVD to 1080p on a PC - it treats it as any other drive and will pass the full signal of the source material. The new audio formats are available through software processing (if I had a standalone I would have to change my receiver and upgrade it). I believe there is a point of diminishing returns.

Many people scorn PC's - and sometimes rightfully so - but if I have to tinker with something I would rather do it on a PC .

Here's a little more info:

Update: Added list of supported resolutions after the break.
To break it all down what you will get from the Xbox 360 after this fall's software update:

VGA:

HD DVD - 1080p resolution and all others

DVD - Upscaled as high as 1080p resolution and all others

Games - 720p games upscaled to 1080p, also supports native-1080p games in the future
Component:

HD DVD - 1080i resolution maximum, limited by AACS
DVD - Upscaled to 480p maximum, limited by CSS
Games - 720p games upscaled to 1080p, also supports native-1080p games in the future
Sponsored Links

Tags
blu, blue, bluray, computer, issue, minimum, pc, play, player, problems, ray, spec, specs, video, working