Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 12-13-2007   #7

Default Re: Blu-ray problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
The 1400 is actually pretty strong of a player. Just don't get a lemon.
This is true. The first 1400 I got was a complete lemon. Then only other thing that could have gone wrong with it is if it didn't even power up at all. I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt and had the online company exchange it. The second unit has worked near perfectly. After installing the mid November firmware update it has been terrific, and it sends DTS Master HD audio bitstream out to my receiver. I got mine for $440 and I think it was worth it at that price. I would chance getting one at $280.
tigeraudio2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigeraudio2007 View Post
This is true. The first 1400 I got was a complete lemon. Then only other thing that could have gone wrong with it is if it didn't even power up at all. I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt and had the online company exchange it. The second unit has worked near perfectly. After installing the mid November firmware update it has been terrific, and it sends DTS Master HD audio bitstream out to my receiver. I got mine for $440 and I think it was worth it at that price. I would chance getting one at $280.
For $280 it is a hell of a bargain. If people are sitting on the fence trying to decide, that's a good enough reason right there.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #9

Ordered my Samsung BD-P1400 today and looking forward to next week's Blade Runner box. I'd been waiting for it since announced and then paused with the studio voodoo a fw weeks ago. This price break put me back on to my original plan to match the Samsung LCD sooner.
timbre4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #10

Thumbs up Re: Blu-ray problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigeraudio2007 View Post
I highly recommend leaving a PC out of the loop when it comes to the high-definition formats. I know that the technology is out there, but the software and hardware is still changing. More "standards" are yet to come. PCs are notorious for hardware failures even without the added issues that come with HD DVD and Blu-ray. Think of it like this. The first DVD-ROMs and DVD-RAMs were very flaky. It takes a few generations of software and hardware components to get everything to play nicely together. Also, minimum specs are released for using Blu-ray on the computer, but just like other hardware and software, you will find that the minimum specs just don't quite cover it. Anyway, like you said, a PC has many manufacturers so chances are there are components that don't like working together. I have Pro Tools running on a PC and it took forever to get all the kinks worked out. Pro Tools gets picky over which video card you have in your system. Yeah, that's logic, sound editing software crashing because of a video device driver.

In the end, get a standalone player. I love my Samsung BD-P1400. I know everything you read says that it is a piece of junk, but let me tell ya. Mine has functioned near perfectly. The only glitch is a very rare stutter in the picture. But never once has it locked up or forced me to restart the player or movie.

Amazon has the BD-P1400 player for $280. This is the player that is also being offered at Costco for about $275. Great player as far as I am concerned. Handles SD DVD very well too.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...nandscathed-20
I will probrably buy one next week and put my drive up for sale on Ebay. So effectively, it should only cost me about $120-140 after I sell my drive. That sounds like a plan - thanks! I'll let you know how it turns out.
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
I will probrably buy one next week and put my drive up for sale on Ebay. So effectively, it should only cost me about $120-140 after I sell my drive. That sounds like a plan - thanks! I'll let you know how it turns out.
Smart plan. You won't be dissapointed and in fact I bet you'll be pretty happy.

If you get a Lemon or think you have one (about 1 out of 20 get returned) just quickly return it. If you get a good one (chances are you will) they are pretty sweet.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #12

Cool Re: Blu-ray problems

Blu-Ray on a PC? Talk about unneccessary hurdles to entertainment...

Just grab a standalone player and enjoy the movies; this is just asking for trouble.
timbre4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
blu, blue, bluray, computer, issue, minimum, pc, play, player, problems, ray, spec, specs, video, working