Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 06-08-2007   #7

Default Re: Playstation 3 Review

The Sony Playstation 3 is a great Blu-ray player and video game console. Since the firmware 1.8 update I only tried playing the Rocky movies on DVD in the player. I have not noticed any change, but then again I haven't tried any of my newer DVD's on it yet. I have to say that it all looks great on my 40" Sony Bravia XBR3 LCD. I was planning on buying the 52", but I see that Sony is coming out with the XBR4's soon. I feel that I am stirring away from the PS3, but you have to have a great HD television to enjoy the true power that the console has to offer.
James_1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #8

I've had a PS3 since launch, and it has been an incredible machine. I bought it with both PS3 games and Blu-ray playback in mind, and that made the price a relative bargain. Finding out that the PS3 also offers good SACD playback as well made it a great universal player for me.

The PS3 has turned out to be a much better Blu-ray player than I thought it would ever be. Visually, the 1080p picture detail and color saturation on my Sony Grand Wega 50" SXRD rear projector has been nothing short of incredible. For audio, I currently run the PS3 through a Yamaha HTR-5960 7.1 channel receiver in my home theater room. It sounds great, but that is through a digital optical connector for surround sound, and a two channel Monster analog connection for SACD playback.

Although the PS3 sound through the Yamaha's 192khz/24 bit Burr Brown DACS is great, I'm looking to upgrade to a Yamaha with an HDMI connection to take advantage of multi-channel SACD audio as well as the new lossless audio formats Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD.

My questions is this: Does the PS3 decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD, or do I need a receiver with built in decoders? Yamaha is just getting ready to release receivers with those decoders built in, but if the PS3 does it already I can buy an HDMI 1.3 equipped Yamaha receiver right now. I've checked all the sources I can for the PS3, and all I've found is conflicting information on the subject of PS3 surround decoding, if I find anything at all.

If someone could give me a definitive answer on this one, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
kingofgrills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #9

The PS3 is Dolby Digital and Dolby TrueHD ready for up to 7.1 surround sound (although barely anything, if at all, has ever made thus far for 7.1 so likely any TrueHD mixes are just going to be 5.1).

The PS3 is HDMI 1.3 which is the good news. However, the player will not decode the TrueHD signal. It will transmit it though through HDMI 1.3 only. Thus you need a compatible receiver that is HDMI 1.3 capable and has the ability to decode TrueHD. I strongly recommend the new line of Onkyo receivers. The TX-SR605 and TX-SR805 are beyond excellent receivers.

There has been no official announcement of the PS3 supporting the DTS Master HD format. However, once you have a compatible receiver and a Blu-ray disc that contains a DTS Master HD track, this support question can be easily anwsered.

So in brief, the PS3 does support Dolby TrueHD but only transmits it non-decoded, and thus the need for a receiver capable of decoding the new formats.
tigeraudio2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #10

Anyone know whether there is a difference between the 80 and 60 gig version of PS3? It would seem that the 60 gig is probably better value since supposedly the user can change the harddrive. However, sony must have thought about this?
pfslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfslai View Post
Anyone know whether there is a difference between the 80 and 60 gig version of PS3? It would seem that the 60 gig is probably better value since supposedly the user can change the harddrive. However, sony must have thought about this?
From my understanding the only differences between the 60G & 80G is
1. A $100 price difference
2. The hard drives size (DUH!)
3. The 80G lack of the "emotion engine" chip which means PS1 & PS2 games will need software added to the PS3 before you can play them on a PS3.
This cuts the manufacturing cost for Sony & is only a problem for those with an extensive back catalog of PS1 & PS2 games.
4. The 80G also comes bundled with Motorstorm

There are rumors that once the 60G stock is depleted it will be discontinued & the 80G will be reduced in price to $499 (without Motorstorm bundled).

So if I was buying a PS3 right now I'd save the $100 & get the 60G especially since I already have Motorstorm.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #12

Just picked up my PS3 a few days ago. Very good performance. In terms of regular DVD, it beats my three year old pioneer elite DV-59 no problem. I am using the new JVC 1080p projector.

My two biggest complaints are with the fan noise and remote. After awhile when the unit heats up the fan really gets going. Obviously, the remote is not compatible with my Universal remote MX-850 but my biggest complaint is that there is no backlight. Now I have to have a flashlight around. Also there is no on/off button.

However, said that these are two small drawback on an otherwise great machine.
pfslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
80g, audio, dvd, features, forums, improves, playstation, ps3, review, sound, specs, streams, upconversion, upconvert, upconverts, version, video