Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Blu-ray Players (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-players-24/)
-   -   Playstation 3 as Blu-Ray player. (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-players/106-playstation-3-blu-ray-player.html)

TheMoose 06-01-2007 12:05 AM

Playstation 3 as Blu-Ray player.

I was planning to set out the format war & see who won before deciding between HD-DVD & Blu-Ray, then the PS3 came out.
While the price point was high for a game console it was the least expensive Blu-Ray player by around 50%!

I knew I was eventually going to get a PS3 but I was going to wait until more games were avalible, to say nothing of the fact I wasn't going to stand in line at Best Buy for a week or pay $1500 on ebay for a launch day PS3.

But I just happened to be at Circuit City when a new shipment (if you can call 1 20G & 1 60G a shipment) a couple of weeks after launch so I grabbed the 60G.

There weren't any games out I wanted so I got some Blu-ray movies, went home & set it up.
OK, this is what HD is all about!!
I got Blu-Ray, 1080p, HDMI 1.3 & a game console all in 1 for $549 (they had a $50 off any $500 purchase)

I still have many more Blu-Ray movies (40) than I do games (3) but I'm constantly using my PS3.
Now all I need is a decent HDMI 1.3 reciever with 6 HDMI inputs & I'm set!

I will eventually get a stand alone Blu-Ray player when the format war is over, right now I'm bullet proof because even if Blu-Ray loses the war PS3 games are on Blu-Ray discs also so it's not like I won't be able to find a player for them unlike all my old Betamax tapes!

AudioGuy2007 06-01-2007 12:36 AM

Re: Playstation 3 as Blu-Ray player.

I totally agree. I have a PS3 and I have no problem playing the new Pirates of the Carribbean discs that require BD-JAVA but the more expensive stand-alone players are having problems with these discs.

I was planning on getting the wireless remote for the PS3 so I dont have to use the regular game pad. Anyone have it yet?

TheMoose 06-01-2007 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioGuy2007 (Post 236)
I totally agree. I have a PS3 and I have no problem playing the new Pirates of the Carribbean discs that require BD-JAVA but the more expensive stand-alone players are having problems with these discs.

I was planning on getting the wireless remote for the PS3 so I dont have to use the regular game pad. Anyone have it yet?

I bought the remote the day it showed up in stores!
It is the only way to go for watching movies & at $25 it's a bargan IMO.
I just wish my Harmony 880 had Blutooth.

JerryDelColliano 06-01-2007 01:55 PM

I bought PS3 the day it came out (for $3000 - ouch) so that we could have it for review on AVRev.com as they were hard to come by. While I am no hardcore gamer - it has been fun to own and is one of the better BR players out there.

I have owned the Samsung, Panasonic and now the Sony player and in many ways - including price - the PS3 is the best.

One important way it ISN"T the best is DVD playback. Yuck. Most people have a DVD player already anyway so it isn't THAT much of a deal breaker.

I would like to see more readers invest the money they save on these hot, new, affordable HDTVs and be sure to pick up a PS3 and an entry level HD DVD player. The effect of US buying them powers the growth of both formats and HD overall. Studios specifically, need to see enough players on the streets before they release the best titles (that's their logic - not mine)

TheMoose 06-01-2007 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano (Post 268)
I bought PS3 the day it came out (for $3000 - ouch) so that we could have it for review on AVRev.com as they were hard to come by. While I am no hardcore gamer - it has been fun to own and is one of the better BR players out there.

One important way it ISN"T the best is DVD playback. Yuck. Most people have a DVD player already anyway so it isn't THAT much of a deal breaker.

Ouch is right!! $3000 is really wanting to get one!!

While I agree with you that DVD playback isn't a big deal (I use my Sony DVP-NS3100ES for DVD) Have you tried a DVD in the PS3 since the 1.8 update that included upconversion to 1080p for DVD's?
I'm going to try my SuperBit version of the Fifth Element to see what the upconversion does for DVD's.
I can compair that with the Blu-Ray version of The Fifth Element.
In July Sony is going to release a new "better" version of The Fifth Element since the original was poorly mastered.

I wonder just how many copies of this movie I'm going to end up with!!

JerryDelColliano 06-01-2007 03:10 PM

I haven't done the update because I really don't use it. It just sits in my rack looking pretty. If I had waited a few days or weeks, I would have saved $1500 to $2,000 but then again we wouldn't have been the first AV publication with a review - let alone a 5100 word one from the home theater enthusiast's perspective.

Funny story from the world of AVRev.com re: The 5th Element. I was closing Vizio on a deal at one of these Hollywood power lunches and Willis was sitting right next to us as we were TRASHING the quality of the Blu-ray transfer. How that title could have been the first release is really questionable.

And like T2 - you will own it on 14 different formats before you take a dirt nap in a pine box. Its OK. I will too!!! :)