Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 06-15-2007   #13

Default Re: Playstation 3 as Blu-Ray player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
One important way it ISN"T the best is DVD playback. Yuck.
Jerry:

If you haven't done the 1.8 update, then this may be an inaccurate criticism. I say "may" because I have done the update, and while I see some improvement, it's not dramatic. I'm using a 37" screen though - has anyone reviewed it on a large screen?

But here's the point: One of the great things about the PS3 is how easy it is to update with new functionality, bug fixes, etc. Compared to AV equipment manufacturers who typically make it painful to accomplish firmware and software upgrades (download, try to understand cryptic instructions, burn to CD or hook a laptop into your device...), this is a beautiful thing! One minute the PS3 has no 1080p upscaling, 10 minutes later it does!

I haven't seen much praise for Sony in the press for adding upscaling, but they surely are on the right track, and other manufacturers should follow their lead.
handyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007   #14

Love my PS3...the effect it has on regular DVDs is nothing short of astonishing, especially after the online download of updated firmwere!! That is an absolute must for all PS3 owners - do it today if you've not already done so. I find that the heat problem is eliminated if you buy the stand that allows it to be stable in the upright position -- the discs also stay a LOT cooler in that position and the stand has some cool blue lights that can be turned on or off. I also purchased the DVD remote and the bluetooth keyboard which is handy if you like to do online searches, etc. via the PS3. I store pics and music on the system as well as use it for games and DVDs & Blu-Ray - it is altogether an ASTONISHING piece of equipment - no wonder SONY is losing $300 on each machine compared to the cost to build it. It is a significant bargain and should not be passed up! Happy watching - and BTW, the larger your screen the more you will appreciate what Blu-Ray has to offer. I have a 50" SXRD rear projector and a 100" LCD front projector and both are stunning with a good Blu-Ray disc - try STARGATE for instance.
JDevine760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007   #15

If anyone hasn't done the 1.8 update, I HIGHLY recommend it. I too agree that the DVD playback previously was unacceptably soft. With the new update on my 50" Pioneer plasma (768p), it is comparable to my Linn Unidisk SC upscaled via an iScan VP30 to 1080i.

In addition, the 1.8 update makes this a very capable media extender as well, which is great! I use this with WMP 11 and Nero Digital Home to extend my PC media to the living room. Been waiting for that, and it works well, but to stream high-def, you need to have wired ethenet and not 802.11g.

Another nice feature of the newer firmware is 1080p/24 output, which it didn't have before. The improvement in my environment is entirely psychological though. My Pioneer plasma only accepts 1080p/24 and not 1080p/60, even though it's a 768p device. My geek nerve is just stimulated by the fact that the tv doesn't have to do 3/2 pull-down or de-interlacing - only rescaling. Pointless, really, since there is no visible difference in my particular environment, but I can at least acknowledge my psychological hangups.

As for gaming, I'm still a pc snob, but everything will be different no doubt once Guitar Hero III comes out. And maybe Half-Life Episode 2. Ahhh, what I wouldn't give for a mouse/keyboard for shooters...
meatyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007   #16

Does anyone known whether it plays DVD+DL or DVD-DL. Also has anyone tried putting a PAL disc and see whether it will accept. I'm interested since my projector is multi-system.
pfslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007   #17

It works just fine with recordable Dual-layer DVD's. Never tried it w/ PAL formatted discs though. I would be surprised if it did not work, since Sony is (trying) to sell them in Europe. Why increase your expense on a loss-leader with an separate version?
meatyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007   #18

Thumbs up Re: Playstation 3 as Blu-Ray player.

I couldn't disagree more about the PS3 as a DVD player...when I put dvds in this machine and play them on my SONY LCOS 50"er the picture is SOOooo good it makes you question the need for High Def discs at all...it is THAT good. Astonishing in fact! A statement with which my guests watching all agree...this includes DVDs copied from broadcast high def and recorded (via SVideo cable believe it or not) to high speed regular DVD...it is almost hard to tell them from the original high def broadcast!!
Way to go PS3...no wonder Sony was losing about $300 on each machine!
JDevine760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, blu, bluray, broadcast, complaints, heat, noise, pal, player, playstation, ps3, quiet, ray, standard, supported, troubleshooting, video