Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Best in New Music (http://www.avrev.com/forum/best-new-music-9/)
-   -   Joni Mitchell's new album? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/best-new-music/970-joni-mitchells-new-album.html)

artyjames 10-31-2007 12:20 PM

Joni Mitchell's new album?

Has anyone heard it? I mean, I think it sounds great. I've been a fan of her music for years but this album has really been playing nonstop. I'd really encourage you to pick the album up if you're familiar with her music because I think it's wonderful. I find it to have such a relaxing tone. Anyway, if you're interested it's called Shine. And I'm also pretty sure you can find some more info on her website.. www.jonimitchell.com. Has anyone listened to it? If so, what do you think? Let me know! I'd love to hear other opinions on the album.

James
UMG

JerryDelColliano 11-03-2007 12:22 PM

Re: Joni Mitchell's new album?

This is going to be a tough one to sell to me.

Folk music just is tough to take. I know Mr. Music loves it but he is in that Boomer demo that remembers what the 1960's were like and why folk music was important.

For me - I felt old playing Appetite for Destruction and noticing the record is 20 years old.

mrmusic 11-07-2007 02:34 AM

Here's a really good opinion about the album, the very knowledgable review from our outstanding critic and writer KL Poore, that ran last issue:

http://www.avrev.com/music/revs/1007...mitchell.shtml

I have only heard a few cuts, but I'm impressed. But then, I'm biased, because Joni and I dated in the late '70s. That's why I turned this review over to someone else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano (Post 5549)
This is going to be a tough one to sell to me.
Folk music just is tough to take. I know Mr. Music loves it but he is in that Boomer demo that remembers what the 1960's were like and why folk music was important.
For me - I felt old playing Appetite for Destruction and noticing the record is 20 years old.

First of all, Jerry, if you go around telling people I remember the '60s, no one will believe I was actually there.

Second, you've gotta catch up to Joni. Folk is where she started but jazz is where she went, from her vocal rhythms to her odd guitar tunings to getting the great Mingus to let her write lyrics (!) to some of his best numbers (Joni's daring 1979 album, Mingus), to the new album by Herbie Hancoc k, River:the Joni Letters (Verve), interpreting her songs accompanied by no less than saxophonist Wayne Shorter, bassist Dave Holland, drummer Vinnie Colaiuta and guitarist Lionel Loueke. Herbie and Wayne were both on Joni's Mingus, nearly 30 years ago.

I know you're a pretty hardcore jazz guy, but give her a chance. Herbie H obviously thinks she qualifies.

(By the way, that's not a typo above on his name, with the separated "k": I did it that way intentionally because when you type his obscene name correctly, our uptight forum Hal changes it to Herbie Han****!)

luke 11-15-2007 08:24 PM

I think it's good, but not great. The Sound is quality is great. I was kind of shocked that she even did a new set of recordings. I don't think she needs to drum into our heads we
(age group from the 50s, 60 and early 70s) blew it by singing , "PARKING LOT / BIG YELLOW TAXI" again... I have been in love with Joni from the first time I saw her back in Phily Pa. at a place called the 2nd Fret on Samson Street, a few days before her first album came out - in fact she played, and then Arlo and Alice's came out . Also I think she has talked about this . I am THE GUY AT THE 'ATLANTIC CITY ROCK FEST', THAT YELLED OUT, I WAS YELLING THAT WE COULD NOT HEAR HER AND THE SOUND PEOPLE SHOULD TURN UP THE SOUND FOR HER. SHE WALKED OFF , SO SHE TOLD HER MANAGER AT THE TIME NO MORE BIG OUTDOOR CONCERTS. NO MATTER WHAT BS IS HANDED DOWN, now THAT IS A FACT . I WORKED AT THE MAIN POINT ON THE MAIN LINE IN PHILA PA AREA ALSO . I COULD NEVER GET TO SAY I WAS SORRY FOR YELLING OUT . BUT I LOOK AT IT, THIS WAY NOW , WE WOULD NOT HAVE THE SONG "WOODSTOCK" WOULD WE , if it was not for my big mouth (Joni would have gone to a REALLY big show, in Bethel, NY). And I am not really proud that I yelled at her like I did , but the crowd could not hear her, I was up front and I had a big mouth and was LOUDER THEN EVERYONE ELSE WHO WANTED TO HEAR HER SING. SO I YELLED OUT ! So anyway I am still in love with Joni, but I am not ready for that taxi ride and I don't want to be told again by anyone else how we blew it and ruined the mother earth etc.. LUKE

AVarntanymore 11-16-2007 08:30 AM

I haven't heard the new Mitchell CD, but I imagine it's got good stuff on it because Joni is a consistently passionate artist. More importantly, Jerry's got to get past his folk-phobia. What, is he stuck mentally comparing every folk-labeled artist with The Kingston Trio? That's crazy! That would be like calling his beloved Guns 'N Roses merely metal. Were The Clash "just" a punk band? Is Steve Earle little more than a country music simpleton? The Stones Muddy Waters wannabes? Come on!

Charles' point, "Folk is where she started but jazz is where she went," is a great one that can be applied to most restless artistic spirits. Great performers are constantly stretching their creative muscles, if you will, forever searching for that next breakthrough. As Charles also mentioned, Mitchell explored alternate guitar tunings. How is this any less adventurous than what Thurston Moore and Lee Ranaldo do -- albeit a whole lot louder -- with Sonic Youth? And the fact that Mingus would even consider working with Mitchell is huge. Mingus is a musical icon, a complex musical mind. Obviously, he found someone likeminded in Mitchell.

Lastly, Mitchell never writes reactionary protest songs or silly turn of the century story songs. Instead, she's true poet. I'm sure there are probably better examples, but I probably love her "Night Ride Home" best of all. It's a magical song that lulls me into its spell whenever I hear it. It's as though I become an invisible passenger in the back seat, watching Joni as she sings it.

Once in awhile
In a big blue moon
There comes a night like this
Like some surrealist
Invented this 4th of July
Night ride home

In another place she sings:

I love the man beside me
We love the open road
No phones till Friday
Far from the overkill
Far from the overload

Isn't that the ultimate utopian dream? To be a modern day Jack Kerouac, behind the wheel with no particular place to go (thank you, Chuck Berry), with nothing but a free and clear highway up ahead? If an artist can put me into such a mental high, there's no way you can place a street value on that a drug.

I don't have a clue what kind of musical magician Joni Mitchell is, but she is certainly no measly folksinger.

narcoticprayer 11-21-2007 01:25 PM

Joni is a queen. Shine is beautiful. And speaking of Joni in an outdoor setting pick up the Shadows and LIght film. Jaco on Bass. Don Alias on traps. And more. Wowza!