Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > The Best in New Music

The Best in New Music Post about SACD, DVD-Audio, music on DVD-Video, CDs, music in 5.1 surround and beyond.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2007   #1
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 695
Default RUSH in surround sound

I'd buy every single RUSH studio album if it were remixed in DVD-Audio or SACD.
AVRevForum.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007   #2
Member
 
Audiogeek_00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 25
Default Re: RUSH in surround sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVRevForum.com View Post
I'd buy every single RUSH studio album if it were remixed in DVD-Audio or SACD.
I agree. I'm looking forward to the DVD from Rush's latest effort (although it has been delayed again until June 26th or 27th). It's dissapointing that SACDs or DVD-Audio weren't marketed properly and that more titles weren't put on either format. I'm hoping that BD and HD-DVD music becomes a reality. I think the auto manufactureres will have to get into the game and start offering DVD in-dash units as an option so that you'll have the ability to go from home to car with your music (at least that is important to me). I know BMW offers a in-dash DVD player. Now all we need is one format to rule so we can start buying media in ernest.
__________________
Tim Hart (aka Audiogeek_00)
Staff Writer
http://avrev.com/
http://modernhometheater.com/
http://www.avrevforum.com/
Audiogeek_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In High Resolution Surround
Posts: 82
Default Re: RUSH in surround sound

FYI - Acura has been offering DVD-A in cars for 4 years, BOSE has a universal (DVD-A/SACD,etc) head unit available and Sony recently mentioned 3 possible SACD capable head units in 2007! (about 4 years too late)

I'd also buy all the Rush albums studio or live in 5.1 surround. There were a few as strong SACD rumors in 2004 and then dried up. The new Rush album will be Dolby Digital 5.1 because the label lacks the testicular fortitude to use a high resolution format like DVD-A at the moment...
timbre4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007   #4
Member
 
Audiogeek_00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 25
Default Re: RUSH in surround sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbre4 View Post
FYI - Acura has been offering DVD-A in cars for 4 years, BOSE has a universal (DVD-A/SACD,etc) head unit available and Sony recently mentioned 3 possible SACD capable head units in 2007! (about 4 years too late)

I'd also buy all the Rush albums studio or live in 5.1 surround. There were a few as strong SACD rumors in 2004 and then dried up. The new Rush album will be Dolby Digital 5.1 because the label lacks the testicular fortitude to use a high resolution format like DVD-A at the moment...
Thanks for the info. Just my opinion, but Bose will never get a dollar from me
Now is probably not a good time to make the 5.1 investment in the car yet anyway. I'll sit on the sidelines and see what shakes out.

I just bought Rush's Replay 3X DVD that has Exit Stage Left, Grace Under Pressure, A Show Of Hands, and Grace Under Pressure bonus disk, which has unreleased audio from the newly remasterd Grace Under Pressure concert sound track (not sure where that came from) in stereo and 5.1. Hopefully it will be like the Snakes and Arrows MVI @96KHz/24bit (which is sold out BTW). Still waiting for that to show up.
__________________
Tim Hart (aka Audiogeek_00)
Staff Writer
http://avrev.com/
http://modernhometheater.com/
http://www.avrevforum.com/
Audiogeek_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In High Resolution Surround
Posts: 82
Default Re: RUSH in surround sound

I've had Replay X3 for several months andf the Grace Under Pressure audio disc is a 2.0 only CD, nothing 5.1 about it. Don't know where you got that idea. Was happy for this as I'd made a cassette from the GUP laserdisc years ago.

The good news is that Alex Lifeson has embraced 5.1 fully for the concert mixes. Wxit Stage Left is CLASSIC material that's shot on relatively weak film elements so it's never going to look pristine. Alex wisely chose to spend the budget on making the sound as good as possible and that's the main draw.

I need to watch Grace and Show Of Hands soon.

NP: Dream Theatre - Systematic Chaos special edition in Dolby Digital 5.1 which is unable to consistently support the musical presentation. Rush disc had better be higher quality than this, but I doubt it. No DTS track here and it should've been DVD-A from the git-go. Maddening volume shifts... VERY distracting...
timbre4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #6
Member
 
Audiogeek_00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 25
Default Re: RUSH in surround sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbre4 View Post
I've had Replay X3 for several months andf the Grace Under Pressure audio disc is a 2.0 only CD, nothing 5.1 about it. Don't know where you got that idea. Was happy for this as I'd made a cassette from the GUP laserdisc years ago.

The good news is that Alex Lifeson has embraced 5.1 fully for the concert mixes. Wxit Stage Left is CLASSIC material that's shot on relatively weak film elements so it's never going to look pristine. Alex wisely chose to spend the budget on making the sound as good as possible and that's the main draw.

I need to watch Grace and Show Of Hands soon.

NP: Dream Theatre - Systematic Chaos special edition in Dolby Digital 5.1 which is unable to consistently support the musical presentation. Rush disc had better be higher quality than this, but I doubt it. No DTS track here and it should've been DVD-A from the git-go. Maddening volume shifts... VERY distracting...
Thanks for correcting me. I lumped all of the discs under the discription for the DVDs. So was the updated sound tracks worth the $?
I also have the Systematic Chaos special addition and have mixed feelings about as well. I got an email today saying Snakes and Arrows shipped. We'll see if they do a better job. Porcupine Tree's latest Fear of a Blank Planet is very good on DVD.
I think it will be a mixed bag for music on the DVD format for a while. I prefer higher bandwidth but thats just me. I think eventually music should be on Blue ray or HD-DVD. No bandwidth limitations, you can have several different formats (DVD-A, DTS, SACD), plus video and other goodies. I vote for Blue-Ray just to get this format war over with as quickly as possible. Time will tell...
__________________
Tim Hart (aka Audiogeek_00)
Staff Writer
http://avrev.com/
http://modernhometheater.com/
http://www.avrevforum.com/
Audiogeek_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Tags
3x, 51, area, audio, bay, buy, discs, dvd, dvdaudio, high, replay, resolution, rush, sacd, sound, surround, videos

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Surround Sound Production Music Library Michael51music Surround Sound 0 07-07-2008 12:47 PM
Rush studio albums in 5.1 surround sound AVRevForum.com Surround Sound 1 04-14-2008 06:00 AM
Surround Sound Headphones deacongreg Surround Sound 0 03-11-2008 01:37 PM
Superb DTS Surround sound with the Meridian 598 DVD-A/V Player AVRevForum.com Source Components 7 09-18-2007 09:17 PM
Explaning surround sound article AVRevForum.com Surround Sound 3 06-21-2007 01:01 PM




SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1