Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > The Best in New Music

The Best in New Music Post about SACD, DVD-Audio, music on DVD-Video, CDs, music in 5.1 surround and beyond.

Old 10-24-2007   #25

Default Re: Today's Worst Bands...

OK, nobody's got the balls -- I'll go there.

Know why? Because one time I watched ... must've been 7 or 8 minutes, of that satanic TV show, and I'm still angry. I had to know what the deal was -- but I never should have gone there. I'm still getting flashbacks.

For all the agony Billy Ray put us through in his 14 months of fame, little did we know he was also planting the seeds of our destruction. Literally.

That little girl of his may be a fine young lady, and I don't mean to emulate our President and attack children, but someone (hmmmm ?) has coerced that girl into the kind of acting the Disney Channel loves, and she has become, I would say, its ultimate practitioner. Which is to say, she makes my skin crawl.

Someone please sterilize all Cyruses. My grandchildren won't deserve this.
mrmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007   #26

Charles,

The flashbacks are likely from a different source......

KT
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007   #27

Talking Re: Today's Worst Bands...

David, I agree with you. During its run, Chicago was excellent. I don`t know why people are talking about when the bands got old, people left, yeah, if that happens, most bands will eventually fade away. To me, a bad band is bad from day one. Not after a couple of years of success. Perfect example, The Ohio Players. great studio band. Horrible live!! A bad band.

Another great band and favorite of mind is MANDRILL. I know most of you guys are rockers, but, great horn section, guitar player, music was jazzy, funky, soulful, latin vibes, lyrics, had a little bit of everything. And great, live!!!! The Wilson Brothers!!!
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by David DelGrosso View Post
They "spiraled down the drain"?
Over 4 decades, CHICAGO has garnered 20 Top Ten singles, 12 Top Ten albums (five of which were #1), and sales of more than 120 million records.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
David, I agree with you. During its run, Chicago was excellent. I don`t know why people are talking about when the bands got old, people left, yeah, if that happens, most bands will eventually fade away. To me, a bad band is bad from day one. Not after a couple of years of success. Perfect example, The Ohio Players. great studio band. Horrible live!! A bad band.
Another great band and favorite of mind is MANDRILL. I know most of you guys are rockers, but, great horn section, guitar player, music was jazzy, funky, soulful, latin vibes, lyrics, had a little bit of everything. And great, live!!!! The Wilson Brothers!!!

I thought we were talking about bad bands here, not sales.

News flash: sales do not equal quality.

Too often, it's a reverse indicator.

So a lot of people bought Chicago albums.

Back Street Boys, Garth Brooks, Celine Dion, Iron Maiden, Cher, Kenny Rogers, ABBA, Madonna, Mariah Carey, Jackson 5, Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston, Bee Gees, Donna Summer, Bon Jovi, Julio Iglesias, Joni James (??) -- Zamfir! Englebert Humperdink!! Gene Autry!!!
-- ALL sold more than 100 million albums. See anything really good in there? Not me.

Chicago's "run" was one album, dribbling off into a couple of good songs on their second. Considering that their next 182 albums stank, I'd call that a bad band -- a potentially good band that very very quickly became a bad band, and stayed that way for decades. Bad band.

Mandrill -- not that familiar but I've heard a little, and I could be with ya, dude. Another somewhat underrated non-whitebread band with a great horn section, better live than on record: Tower of Balco -- uh, Power. Heard "What is Life" on Sirius the other day and it ROCKED! "Down to the Nightclub" -- oh yeah.

Truly underrated: Three Dog Night. I saw them in concert in their prime seven times: three times excellent, the rest anywhere from outstanding to mind-blowing. Though I liked their albums, any slickness therein fell away in concert and they became those funky white boys who always had to prove themselves and show you they were sooo much better than you thought. Footnote: proteges of Brian Wilson, who was recording them, pre-Dog, at the same time as another act who caught his fancy, Charles Manson.

Last edited by mrmusic; 10-26-2007 at 10:40 AM..
mrmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmusic View Post
I thought we were talking about bad bands here, not sales.

News flash: sales do not equal quality.

Too often, it's a reverse indicator.

So a lot of people bought Chicago albums.
The original comment was that they "spiraled down the drain."

So my rebuttal still stands... for I've never seen a drain large enough to swallow up 120 million records!

Quote:
Back Street Boys, Garth Brooks, Celine Dion, Iron Maiden, Cher, Kenny Rogers, ABBA, Madonna, Mariah Carey, Jackson 5, Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston, Bee Gees, Donna Summer, Bon Jovi, Julio Iglesias, Joni James (??) -- Zamfir! Englebert Humperdink!! Gene Autry!!!
-- ALL sold more than 100 million albums. See anything really good in there? Not me.
Everyone has their own personal taste... but bashing Pop Superstars does not elevate your opinion above their millions of fans.

Personally...

I don't dig the personalities of Mariah and Whitney, but it seems pretty lame to insist that their vocal skills are "bad."

And Celine and Garth are "as good as it gets" within their respective genres. Sure, I am more intrigued by the creativity of Dali, than Picasso... but I would never classify Picasso as a "bad" painter.

And few "artists" throughout time, have touched their fans more deeply than the Jackson 5 did.. or even Bon Jovi. But if you don't like their style of music... does that REALLY make it "bad" music??

Quote:
Truly underrated: Three Dog Night. I saw them in concert in their prime seven times: three times excellent, the rest anywhere from outstanding to mind-blowing.
Alas, I must agree!

Those 3 singers were AWESOME together.

It's a shame that 5.1 surround wasn't happening in those days. The 3 of them would often "echo" their voices back and forth... which would have sounded amazing in digital surround!

Peace out.

DD
David DelGrosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007   #30

I'm just saying that at a very specific point some of those 120 million records backed up the drain.

I kind of think that a thread entitled Today's Worst Bands is inteded for people to state their opinion in re music & the people who make it?

AND I'm not attempting to elevate my opinion by bashing 'pop superstars' I'm giving what to me is a 'valid opinion'. I respect yours, you love Chicago. Me, not so much anymore.

And just to restate what I think (note I):

Each successive release from Chicago Transit Authority on wasn't as good as the one that preceded it.

Terry Kath was the heart of the band. They continued to make successful music after he died but...

Everything from Hot Streets on smelled.

And just so you'll know I own every single one of the releases up to that point... since one of my dearest friends is nutty for Chicago I regretfully have had to listen to everything since numerous times.

But I'll say this... at least they aren't the Beach Boys.

Peace now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David DelGrosso View Post
The original comment was that they "spiraled down the drain."

So my rebuttal still stands... for I've never seen a drain large enough to swallow up 120 million records!

Everyone has their own personal taste... but bashing Pop Superstars does not elevate your opinion above their millions of fans.

Personally...

I don't dig the personalities of Mariah and Whitney, but it seems pretty lame to insist that their vocal skills are "bad."

And Celine and Garth are "as good as it gets" within their respective genres. Sure, I am more intrigued by the creativity of Dali, than Picasso... but I would never classify Picasso as a "bad" painter.

And few "artists" throughout time, have touched their fans more deeply than the Jackson 5 did.. or even Bon Jovi. But if you don't like their style of music... does that REALLY make it "bad" music??

Alas, I must agree!

Those 3 singers were AWESOME together.

It's a shame that 5.1 surround wasn't happening in those days. The 3 of them would often "echo" their voices back and forth... which would have sounded amazing in digital surround!

Peace out.

DD
narcoticprayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
10, 20, 90s, bands, credit, groups, kath, list, matchbox, music, rock, terry, today, todays, worst