Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > The Best in New Music

The Best in New Music Post about SACD, DVD-Audio, music on DVD-Video, CDs, music in 5.1 surround and beyond.

Old 10-22-2007   #19

Default Re: Today's Worst Bands...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David DelGrosso View Post
They "spiraled down the drain"?

Over 4 decades, CHICAGO has garnered 20 Top Ten singles, 12 Top Ten albums (five of which were #1), and sales of more than 120 million records.

Throughout the history of recorded music, VERY FEW bands have accomplished more.

PEACE

DD
I have to stand by the thought that they died along with Terry Kath. I mean jeez they got Donnie Dacus to replace him. I will give them credit for having a clean break with Pete Cetera though.
narcoticprayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #20

Gracias. Mr C
In re: I love Billy Gibbons guitar playing... I mean Hendrix loved him. Now they're just propped up in front of guys who wish they were bikers and strum out slow and creepy grandpa versions of their hits.

And I'll give this to Kid Rock, he knows how to make money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmusic View Post
OMGawd!
KL, I know I love your reviews @ http://www.avrev.com/ because 1) you're both a great critic and a great writer, and most importantly 2) we almost always agree
but
this post was perfect! When I read it I tried to remeber when it was I wrote it.

Who do I think are good bands? Start at the top of our Top 10 Rock Bands of All Time list
http://www.avrev.com/bands/
and work your way down.

(You will see Journey at #55 -- a massive embarrassment, but we had certain criteria and sales figured prominently and that's how Journey snuck in. Take away their high sales score and they almost drop off our list.)

As to your previous digs:
I can't say I'm a Kid Rock fan, no, but I give the guy credit for attitude. He knows and honors the roots like few today. One example: I was at the taping of one of the Willie Nelson tributes in '04, and when Jerry Lee Lewis hobbled on, surrounded by an amazing band including Willie and Merle and Keith Richards on guitars and backing vocals, and seemed tentative at best, Kid Rock stepped in, without grabbing the spotlight, and cajoled the Killer in just the right way to be the Killer, and he warmed up and grinned and transformed in front of our eyes and brought the house down. This is not the first time I've seen that side of KR, and I will always respect him (if not his music) for it. (That special also included Al Green, Rickie Lee Jones, the outstanding Holmes Brothers, Lucinda Williams, Shelby Lynne, an unannounced last-minute walk-on by Bob Dylan (who should've stayed home -- took several takes on "You Win Again," none of them that good) ,an amazing "Pressure Drop" from Toots Hibbert and Ben Harper, and a surpisingly good Toby Keith, rednecked but righteous . . . OK, so maybe KL and I don't always agree.)
And ZZ Top -- a guilty pleasure, at worst. They may have been playing the same chords and basically the same song for 37 years, but damn!! it's a great rockin' song. And talk about attitude?! Who gives less of a f*** than these guys? Everybody in the band who wasn't named Beard grew foot-long-plus beards nearly 30 years ago -- hardly hip on a young rock star -- and have kept them through the 21st Century, even through an offer from Gillette in '84 to beards Gibbons and Hill for a million dollars each if they'd shave them for a commercial. Talk about your artistic integrity! (A mil meant something then.)
Old 10-22-2007   #21

I have to stand by the thought that they died along with Terry Kath. I mean jeez they got Donnie Dacus to replace him. I will give them credit for having a clean break with Pete Cetera though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David DelGrosso View Post
They "spiraled down the drain"?

Over 4 decades, CHICAGO has garnered 20 Top Ten singles, 12 Top Ten albums (five of which were #1), and sales of more than 120 million records.

Throughout the history of recorded music, VERY FEW bands have accomplished more.

PEACE

DD
Old 10-22-2007   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoticprayer View Post
Instead... they suck because...
Journey... Greg Rolie leaves the band and they get Steve Perry. They go super sucky but I give it to them Steve can sing that Cheese. Perry leaves... which means that the singer who made them popular has bailed... even more suck city.

Styx... like bad theater with a couple of good guitar players... the singer who made them popular leaves... and they actually get better!!! But they can't find the keys to the car so they're stuck in suck city.

Chicago... they start out with a lot of promise. Great guitar player & singer, stabby jabby horns... a good drummer... and slowly they spiral down the drain into the MOR city of suck. So much so the guy who made them tolerable accidently/possibly/definitely commits the 'cide. I just bet he was listening to demos from the next LP.
R.I.P TK.
R.I.P Chitown?
But Noooooooooooooo, they go on for years and years and years. They hang out with the Beach Boys (or what's called the Beach Boys I mean there are no Wilson Bros left?) and collect paydays by playing at cemeteries/state fairs. Does anybody really know what time it is? Time to die.
TODAY'S suck city bands are too easy.
Good Carlotta
Avril Lalame
Everything on the 1 music show on MTV
All these bands that sound exactly like the other one
and a special place (even though he's not a musician... but he's not a comedian either)
DANE COOK
So now I suppose you're going to tell me Hannah Montana sucks!
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #23

Enoch,

I am not even gonna' go there.....
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007   #24

Smile Re: Today's Worst Bands...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
So now I suppose you're going to tell me Hannah Montana sucks!
Nope, I'm gonna be a dental floss tycoon.
Sponsored Links

Tags
10, 20, 90s, bands, credit, groups, kath, list, matchbox, music, rock, terry, today, todays, worst