Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Best in New Music (http://www.avrev.com/forum/best-new-music-9/)
-   -   Download the Top 100 albums spreadsheet here, then post your own top 10 here (http://www.avrev.com/forum/best-new-music/765-download-top-100-albums-spreadsheet-here-then-post-your-own-top-10-here.html)

AVRevForum.com 09-20-2007 12:40 PM

Download the Top 100 albums spreadsheet here, then post your own top 10 list

Download this sheet (see the link below), fill it out yourself and then make a post here, or a new thread in this forum with your own top 10 list. Our list will publish here on October 1st.

http://www.avrev.com/AVR_BestAlbum_List.xls

JerryDelColliano 09-20-2007 01:38 PM

Post your 100 Top Rock Album list results here

Once you download your sheet and do some voting - post your results here. Try cutting and pasting your results more than uploading your sheet.

JerryDelColliano 09-20-2007 01:52 PM

Re: Post your 100 Top Rock Album list results here

The Rules For Voting:

Performance and Songwriting are 100 point categories. While NONE of the albums are "average" clearly a 50 would represent an average performance or songwriting effort.

Sound Quality (50 points) is based on how good the record sounds with a slight bump given if the record was offered in high res or 5.1. Historically, significant recordings (think like Electric Ladyland) also should get consideration.

Production (50 points) - How well is the record produced? Its not the same thing as audio quality in that a record like ...And Justice for All sounds like poop but is produced really well.

Staying Power (50 points) - Does the record pass the test of time? Sgt. Pepper and Dark Side are still staples of classic rock radio and critics love them. Living Color Vivid or Pyromania won't likely fare as well.

Continuity-Concept (50 points) This is the category that sets this list apart from the rest. We put a high premium on the entire album's concept and overall continuity. Queen's A Night At The Opera would score well for sound, performance and production however there are only really a few good songs on it as compared to say Dark Side or Aja or Sgt. Peppers which are more consistent from start to finish.

----

Download a sheet and have fun with your voting.

Our list will go live 10/1/07!!!!

We can't want to see your results vs. the rest...

j

DaveC 09-20-2007 02:25 PM

Re: Download the Top 100 albums spreadsheet here, then post your own top 10 here

Great idea - and just plain fun too. Hope the posts reflect the passion and emotion of much of the music selected as candidates.

As a quick suggestion, attached is a slightly modified version of your spreadsheet which changes the band names so one can sort by band (traditional way one would find them in a "record shop"), and optimizes the column widths/borders, so one can print out and fill in as they sit around and debate with friends.

Okay - you'll have to erase my suggested additions at the end if you choose to use this - I just couldn't help myself. Only Jackson Browne's "For Everyman" makes my true Top 10, but the others surely make my top 177!

Looking forward to everyone's posts,
Dave C

PS - Sigh, a <.xls> file cannot be uploaded. Oh well - You would've liked the revisions, I think.

AudioGuy2007 09-20-2007 02:59 PM

Re: Download the Top 100 albums spreadsheet here, then post your own top 10 here

Here is my list in no particular order

Ween's The Mollusk - The suburban philly duo's finest concept record. The most important band to come along in 20 years.

Oingo Boingo's Alive (double "live" studio recording) - Every song is better than the orignal album version

Rush's Hemispheres - The album that made me pick up drum sticks.

Mr Bungle's California - Brilliance. Clown music turned surf art rock..

Metallica's ...and Justice for All - Try to count out the intro to Blackened. You might need a degree from MIT. The most rhythmically complex Metallica ever. The best "prog metal" album period.

The Carpenter's Close to You - If these 20 part vocal harmonies dont move you, you must be dead, or anorexic.

John Mayer's Continuum - "go back and listen to daughters, bitches..."
http://youtube.com/watch?v=n_z-shZL1KU

Faith No More's Angel Dust - Floored their fans with this dark, twisted album. Takes about 20 listens before you'll really get it.

Beck's Midnight Vultures - "I'm gonna take you up to Glendale... take you for a real good meal." Beck must love Armenian food.

Megadeth - Rust in Peace - All their albums before this pretty much sucked. Dave Mustaine got his **** together on this one. "Thigh master.... five magics.'

JerryDelColliano 09-20-2007 04:07 PM

Beck's Midnite Vultures isn't on the list but is a GOOD one to point out. Good consistancy. Good sound and FAR AND AWAY his best work. Loved the old-school Prince influence.

And if Beck is going out to Glendale - he might pick up a used car too. There are like 10,000 dealers up there all selling used BMWs. Right next to the Kabob place.

randymoe 09-20-2007 04:27 PM

Sounds like a blast!!!
Going to take some research though!
I will be back!!

Enoch 09-20-2007 06:46 PM

Great selection! There's alot I would have left off, but I'm sure everyone would say that about different ones. So, overall, a good selection. However.....the one Genesis entry (TLLDOB) is aguably incorrect. Selling England By The Pound wins on all the Genesis forums. Therefore it, not TLLDOB, should be on the list. IMHF

JerryDelColliano 09-20-2007 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch (Post 3294)
Great selection! There's alot I would have left off, but I'm sure everyone would say that about different ones. So, overall, a good selection. However.....the one Genesis entry (TLLDOB) is aguably incorrect. Selling England By The Pound wins on all the Genesis forums. Therefore it, not TLLDOB, should be on the list. IMHF

-----

tell new user and list judge "spooky suprize" that The Lamb should have made it and see what he says!!!! :)

Did you fill out a sheet to see who would win for you.

We are compiling data now for our list. If we can go live early - we will...

Enoch 09-20-2007 11:37 PM

Still not sure what to do here. The speadsheet is downloaded. I must then re-sort the list of the artists contained in the spreadsheet according to my preferences, convert to Word, then copy and paste into this forum thread?

Dave 09-21-2007 04:00 PM

Here is my top 10. I have added a couple that weren’t on the list

1. Pink Floyd – Darkside of the Moon
2. Queen – Night at the Opera
3. Queen – Made in Heaven
4. Rick Wakeman – Myths and Legends of King Authur and His Knights of the Roundtable – One cut on this is probably my favorite piece of music “Merlin the Magician” I have been packing it into audio dealers for 30 years in one form or another.
5. Eagles – Hotel California
6. Supertramp – Breakfast in America
7. Poco - Legend
8. Santana – Supernatural
9. Dire Straits – Brothers in Arms
10. Eric Clapton – Unplugged

Dave

kennyt 09-21-2007 04:23 PM

I knew this one would kick up some dirt.....

JerryDelColliano 09-21-2007 04:33 PM

Rick Wakeman

I can tell you the Progressive genre of rock is WELL spoken for on the list.

We have ALL of the data in as of today and are compiling it now.

j

TheMoose 09-21-2007 06:49 PM

TheMoose' top 10

My top 10,

1. Boston-Boston
2. Frampton comes alive- Peter Frampton
3. Brain Salad Surgery- Emerson, Lake & Palmer
4. Texas Flood- Stevie Ray Vaughn
5. Thick as a Brick- Jethro Tull
6. The Doors- The Doors
7. Are you Experienced?- Jimi Hendrix
8. IV (ZoSo)- Led Zeppelin
9. Night At The Opera- Queen
10 Paranoid- Black Sabbath

I know there is a lot I couldn't think of but these are the albums that always seem to be in my play list!

JerryDelColliano 09-21-2007 07:13 PM

Re: TheMoose' top 10

[QUOTE=TheMoose;3386]My top 10,

1. Boston-Boston
6. The Doors- The Doors

Hey moose -

I wonder how old you are? :)

j

TheMoose 09-21-2007 08:08 PM

Re: TheMoose' top 10

[QUOTE=JerryDelColliano;3390]
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMoose (Post 3386)
My top 10,

1. Boston-Boston
6. The Doors- The Doors

Hey moose -

I wonder how old you are? :)

j

Those are the songs of my youth, I was able to see all those except Jimi, Led Zeppelin & the Doors in concert & I was going to see Led Zeppelin in Dallas the year John Henry "Bonzo" Bonham died.

I am 48 years old but I never did actually grow up!

JerryDelColliano 09-21-2007 08:26 PM

You can have your chance at seeing Zep if you are willing to pay.

Stevie Ray Vaughn was a client at Christopher Hansen Ltd. where I worked. THIEL CS5's, Mark Levinson No. 23 and a Wadia 8 CD player. Same system as The Dice Man!!!!

kennyt 09-22-2007 02:47 AM

Jerry,

Did I miss some Led Zep reunion tour announcement? What do you mean 'if you are willing to pay'??

Moose, I was supposed to see LZ in NJ on the tour that Bonzo died on, it was going to be one of my first concerts.... I kept on postponing SRV as I figured he'd be around. Stupid move on my part!

randymoe 09-23-2007 07:57 AM

http://www.gotickets.com/concert/led...FQEyYQodCTnoSA

Here is some info on the Led Zep tour...

Njoy

kennyt 09-23-2007 09:30 AM

Are they planning on Bonzo's kid as the drummer??

TheMoose 09-23-2007 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 3417)

That would be the way to go!

I'd love to see it but I know there is no way.
I saw Robert Plant in concert so that will have to do, although The "Tall Cool One" & "Sea of Love" is no replacement for "Stairway To Heaven" & "Dazed and Confused"! http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...x-Zoso.svg.png

David DelGrosso 09-23-2007 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 3417)

YES...

Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham (son of the band's original drummer John Bonham, who died 1980) will reunite to perform onstage - One Night Only - as Led Zeppelin for a charity show in Tribute to Ahmet Ertegun, the late co-founder and chairman emeritus of Atlantic Records. Ertegun, who signed Led Zeppelin in 1968, died last December. The band recorded for Atlantic its entire career.

The one-off show will be held in the 20,000-capacity O2 arena (the former Millennium Dome) on Monday November 26th 2007. The O2 is located at Greenwich, south-east London. Led Zeppelin vocalist Robert Plant said: "During the Zeppelin years, Ahmet Ertegun was a major foundation of solidarity and accord. For us, he was Atlantic Records and remained a close friend and conspirator. This performance stands alone as a tribute to the work and life of a longstanding friend."

Speaking at a press conference Concert promoter Harvey Goldsmith explained that the reunion came about after the band were contacted by the late record mogul's wife, Mica. Goldsmith explained that she had written the band an "emotive letter" asking them to play.

Goldsmith said that he had originally asked Page, Plant and Jones to consider reuniting to play a 30-minute set as part of a gala concert. "I wrote to everybody and in particular to Robert and Jimmy and John Paul, and said: 'Look this is an opportunity for you to come together and really pay homage to your mentor and mine, and would you do it?' Much to my amazement they came back and said yes," he said.

After several weeks of discussions the band finally assembled in a rehearsal studio on the outskirts of London in June to see if they could still play together. After a week of rehearsals, Zeppelin announced to Goldsmith that they would be willing and able to perform a full two-hour set. "Jason Bonham became part of the catalyst, and they did a week's rehearsal," said Goldsmith . "We had a meeting and Robert turned around and said we're not going to do 30 minutes, we're doing to do a whole set." Goldsmith added "They’re going to play all the great songs that everybody wants to hear. They are the last great rock gods that remain to be seen."

Also performing at the event will be The Who's guitarist Pete Townshend, former Rolling Stone bassist Bill Wyman’s Rhythm Stars, rock band Foreigner and Paolo Nutini, Ertegun's last UK signing before his death.

Profits will benefit the Ahmet Ertegun Education Fund, which provides scholarships to universities in the United States, United Kingdom and Turkey, Ertegun's country of birth. Among the projects the fund is backing is a music scholarship at south London's Ravensbourne College, which is to move to a building adjacent to the O2 arena in Greenwich. Ahmet's wife Mica said: "He would be very proud that Led Zeppelin have chosen to reunite and headline a benefit concert in his name featuring so many of his friends. I would like to thank all of the artists for their generous contribution to help make Ahmet's vision a reality." Goldsmith said Ertegun "became a friend and was my mentor. Our industry deeply misses such a giant of music. It is a fitting tribute that these great artists have all come together to perform in his memory."

More than 1 million fans, seeking an opportunity to purchase tickets to the show, submitted a registration ballot on the Ahmettribute.com website which, at one point, was receiving over 5 million hits per hour. In total the website recorded over one billion hits between September 12th thru September 19th

Concert promoter Harvey Goldsmith said: "In the first day alone, we received an unprecedented number of hits that literally knocked the website out. Over the last seven days we have recorded over 1,000 million hits. This response is amazing and from it we have had over one million registrations. We would like to thank all the fans for their support." Goldsmith added "All registrations will have equal standing regardless if they register(ed) first or last."

The registration ballot has now closed & successful applicants will be notified by email no later than October 1st. Those lucky enough to be selected will be provided with full details of how to purchase the tickets they have successfully registered for. There will be a time limit of 72 hours from the time of notification to pay for the tickets. Ticket purchases will be restricted to no more than 2 per successful registrant.

======================

jbk 09-23-2007 03:23 PM

My top 10
1. Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band Beatles
Changed the way Rock was recorded and sounded

2. Dark Side of the Moon Pink Floyd
A little bit of something for everyone to identify with in their life

3. Beggers Banquet Rolling Stones
Starting to hit their stride..after Her Majesties Disaster

4. Cream Reunion
A blend of Blues, Jazz and hard rock by consumate muscians. The group upcoming dand tried to emulate afterwards

5. Yes Yes
A great concept album that Yes performed acoustically at the house of blues!

6. Highway 61 Revisited Bob Dylan

7. Imagine John Lennon
Continues his visionary music after the Beatles, Paul never caught up..

8. Live at the Filmore East Allman Brothers
British Blues rock meet the Southern man and R&B

9. Harvest Niel Young
We knew he was great with Buffalo Springfield and CS&N but really starts breaking out

10.Led Zeppelin II Led Zeppelin
Expanded British covers of blues to make it their own and launch arguable one of the greatest bands ever. maybe in the Top 5

Just my humble thoughts and showing my age...

jbk

eltabor 09-24-2007 03:36 PM

Looks like 90% pop, which I consider watered down bull **** and 7% heavy metal, which I consider hate and screaming. 3% is played from the soul of the musician for the musician and not entirely to earn a dollar.
Peace to you all

Butch 09-24-2007 04:08 PM

These are my top ten, shuffle 'em up in any order 'cause at one time or another each was my favorite of all time.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Pronounced (Best example of southern, in your face rock and roll)
Cat Stevens - Tea For The Tillerman (Awesome sonics with thought provoking lyrics)
Pink Floyd - DSOTM (This was my first Floyd album - a sonic master piece)
Aphrodites Child - 666 (A double album theme record, best enjoyed with mushrooms)
The Who - Tommy (See above)
Santana - Abraxas (My virginity was lost whilst listening to this one so I may not be entirely objective)
The Beatles - Abbey Road (Here Comes the Sun!)
ZZ Top - Tres Hombres (THE sound track for beer drinkin' good times)
Deep Purple - Machine Head (This album is the prototype for later bands)
Big Brother and the Holding Company - Cheap Thrills (Joplin's debut for me and her best IMHO)
The Doors - L.A. Women (Actually 'Strange Days is my favorite but a doors album must be in the top ten and this one seems to appeal to main stream top 40 types)
Led Zeppelin - I, II, IV (3 way tie. I flat out can't decide which is best)

Dang O dang o! That's more than 10 already and I haven't mentioned Pearl Jam, Steppenwolf, Joe Walsh, Eric Clapton, Fleetwood Mac, Funkadelic, ELP, Grand Funk Railroad, James Gang, Grateful Dead, J. Geils Band, JJ Cale, Marshall Tucker, Yes, damned, how could I forget them? and Black Sabbath and Jimi Hendrix and Kansas

OK I'll stop. You won't see much in the way of new music in my list because I'm not sure whether Wilco or the Pixies or Spoon or any of the post 90's albums will still sound as good to me in 25 years as those listed above do.

Those are my top picks for musical performances. Maybe later we could do a list of terrifically recorded albums with superior sonics.

JerryDelColliano 09-24-2007 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eltabor (Post 3493)
Looks like 90% pop, which I consider watered down bull **** and 7% heavy metal, which I consider hate and screaming. 3% is played from the soul of the musician for the musician and not entirely to earn a dollar.
Peace to you all

------

We are still crunching numbers here. 10 man hours in and NOT done yet. I want to release this SOON.

There is no way to please everyone but I think that the list covers a pretty diverse group of music. The differential between pop and rock is a slipperly slope that I am sure will be discussed more. Parlement made the list of centenders but Motown didn't. Worth discussion. Stevie Wonder is on the list of nominees but Bob Marley isn't. That kind of stuff...

We are working here for you. Stay tuned and be sure to tell your friends.

j

Neil Peart 09-24-2007 07:30 PM

There had better be alot of albums by my band RUSH on this list.

Neil Peart 09-24-2007 07:31 PM

There had better be alot of albums by my band RUSH on this list.

JerryDelColliano 09-24-2007 07:34 PM

2112 is on there but not sure it makes the top 100

Enoch 09-24-2007 10:43 PM

1 Dark Side of the Moon Pink Floyd
2 Close to the Edge Yes
3 Led Zeppelin I Led Zeppelin
4 Thick as a Brick Jethro Tull
5 Toys in the Attic Aerosmith
6 So "Gabriel, Peter"
7 Moving Pictures Rush
8 Boston Boston
9 The Cars "Cars, The"
10 Wired "Beck, Jeff"

JerryDelColliano 09-24-2007 11:22 PM

I can tell you Jeff Beck isn't anywhere close to the list.

Many others are VERY GOOD picks....

Enoch 09-24-2007 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano (Post 3569)
I can tell you Jeff Beck isn't anywhere close to the list.

Many others are VERY GOOD picks....

I knew he wouldn't be. But I couldn't help myself. That, and There and Back are GREAT albums.

JerryDelColliano 09-25-2007 07:56 AM

personal picks: Jeff Beck

Personal picks are part of the fun of compiling such a list.

Thanks for sharing yours!!!!

DaveC 09-28-2007 05:02 PM

Well... this was not as easy as i thought it might be.
First, we went through the offered list of 177 albums.
Both my wife and I found 50 each that would qualify in our Top 100.

Then we listened to tunes in the music room for 3 or 4 hours while pouring through albums and cee-dees. We added another 83 albums to the candidate list, from which we selected the balance of our Top 100. Whew - Part A completed. Now we think we have the list for ourselves to whittle down to 10.

We really gave a lot of consideration to "staying power" - albums we continue to listen to and enjoy.

Here goes mine (in no particular order) off the original list:
1. The Beatles - Abbey Road
2. The Beatles - Sgt Pepper
3. CSNY - Deja Vu
4. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II (though I really would love to have included I also)
5. Pink Floyd - DSOTM (admittedly the single LP I have the most copies of, including a "blue triangle")

Then off our own list of additional favorites:
6. The Allman Brothers - Eat a Peach (part with Duane, part without. A bittersweet album to always remember him by. Yes, Live at the Fillmore East was certainly a candidate)
7. Jackson Browne - For Everyman (the most "non-rock" album I listed to for many years, and certainly one o the few I truly listened to the lyrics, rather than just the music, of)
-. Peter Gabriel - Secret World Live (okay, this is a cheat, since it is a double live album that's got an incredible collection of his work, plus a darn good DVD to watch also)
8. Peter Gabriel - Us (fine, if you feel So is better, so be it, pun intended)
-. Don Henley - End of the Innocence (I see I'm going to go over 10, so I suppose this will just fall off the list - darn! The title cut is certainly my political theme song!)
9. Elton John - Yellow Brick Road (hey, if you were around when this came out and listened to Funeral For a Friend, admittedly very loud, you were hooked. We still listen to it... very loud)
10. Joni Mitchell - Blue (okay, not when it was released, but as I've aged, I appreciate this more and more)
-. Pink Floyd - Meddle (jeez, still over 10, guess this one just falls off. Heavy sigh)

No, I won't bore you with the 83 additional albums we added to the candidate list, but it sure reminded us there has been an incredible selection of fabulous music we've gotten to enjoy over the years.

It was tough to leave off Hendrix, Stevie Ray, and even Johnny Winter as my favorite guitarists, as was Zappa the rapper/composer, and too many more to list.

AVRevForum.com 10-01-2007 12:09 PM

Top 100 albums list released!

Here is the list to the AVRev.com "Top 100 albums of all time".

http://www.avrev.com/rock-albums/

After you have read the list, enter to win all of these albums by taking our annual reader survey available at

http://www.avrev.com/avrevforumcontest/

AVRevForum.com 10-01-2007 12:40 PM

Hey everyone, the official list has been posted.

The link to it and a contest to win all of the top 100 albums on CD is available here on this thread..

http://www.avrevforum.com/showthread.php?t=825

Good luck and be sure to post your personal top 10 list.

slugbug 10-01-2007 12:53 PM

Re: Top 100 albums list released!

I see a few in that list I wouldn't consider to be Rock albums.

AVRevForum.com 10-01-2007 01:04 PM

Snubs, complaints and hate-mail about the top 100 albums list

Did your favorite record get snubbed? Are you p.o'd that your favorite album wasnt even mentioned in the top 177? Here is your forum to vent!

videoflyer 10-01-2007 01:27 PM

Re: Top 100 albums list released!

Curious. You mean albums that aren't to your particular taste, don't you? I don't care for every choice on that list by a long shot but it seems to me it could easily be argued that every last one of 'em falls under the umbrella term 'rock'...

kluvlaw 10-01-2007 01:32 PM

Re: Snubs, complaints and hate-mail about the top 100 albums list

I just see a real bias towards certain bands on this list; the judges appear to have some personal favorites that skew the rankings.