Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > The Best in New Music

The Best in New Music Post about SACD, DVD-Audio, music on DVD-Video, CDs, music in 5.1 surround and beyond.

View Poll Results: How many of these albums would you buy in Hi-Rez 24/96?
0-10 6 27.27%
10-30 8 36.36%
30-50 1 4.55%
50+ 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2007   #49

Default Re: Top 100 albums list released!

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoflyer View Post
Curious. You mean albums that aren't to your particular taste, don't you? I don't care for every choice on that list by a long shot but it seems to me it could easily be argued that every last one of 'em falls under the umbrella term 'rock'...
Country and Jazz aren't rock. New age isn't rock. R&B isn't rock.
Old 10-01-2007   #50

Angry Re: Top 100 albums list released!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVRevForum.com View Post
Do you mean Parliament? I think they would be classified as "funk" which is kind of like rock and R&B combined. By the same accord, would Earth,Wind and Fire be rock? I think that "thriller" is part rock record (Beat it, Thriller) and part R&B.

http://www.avrev.com/rock-albums/
------

Tell Eddie Van Halen and Steve Lukather that Thriller isn't rock. They are two of the BEST rock guitarists of all time and they both are on Thriller.
Old 10-01-2007   #51

Default Re: Snubs, complaints and hate-mail about the top 100 albums list

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan562 View Post
The only ones that stand out to me are YES and Peter Gabriel (hugely overrated I think)
Everyone knows these two are hugely UNDERrated. To be fair though, the judges had a pre-picked list from which to sort their choices. So given that, I'm not too surprised at the results. Jeff Beck rules!
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #52

So Peter Gabriel has four albums in the top 100 and Bob Dylan and Elvis have none and the Stones and Bowie have one?

It's a poorly constructed list at best. A very biased assessment of rock music. They should have called it "Chuck, Ted, Jerry and Howard's Favorite Rock Bands" instead.
NYR 2008 Cup Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #53

The list is cliche and narowly focused. The authors don't take much if any chances. "Dark Side" as the #1 album?....ho hum....sigh.

How about Rick Wakeman's "Journey to the Center of the Earth" or Marillion's "Misplaced Childhood?"

And as far as Steely Dan is concerned, "Aja" over "Royal Scam?"

And while probably less popular, I would have preferred to see Genesis, "Wind and the Wuthering" or "Trick of the Tale."

And Honorable Mention Lists are cop-outs. Man up.
NYR 2008 Cup Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR 2008 Cup Champs View Post
So Peter Gabriel has four albums in the top 100 and Bob Dylan and Elvis have none and the Stones and Bowie have one?

It's a poorly constructed list at best. A very biased assessment of rock music. They should have called it "Chuck, Ted, Jerry and Howard's Favorite Rock Bands" instead.
Personally, I'm not a really huge fan of Peter Gabriel, either... but I'm also not totally in alignment with your preferred picks.

Dylan is one of the greatest singer/songwriters of all time, and his best albums are more often referred to as Folk, than Rock.

And to many, the "Rock n' Roll" genre of Elvis' time, deserves it's own rankings... separate from the "Rock" styles that emerged from the British Invasion.

Meanwhile, the Stones have a few great songs on every album... but may not have any great "albums" (where every song is captivating.) That's why their most popular album of all time, is Hot Rocks, the greatest hits collection... and you can't really evaluate "best of" collections, the same as you would the individual "albums" that were each created as a specific work of art.

And Bowie's albums arguably follow this same pattern of offering only a few great songs on each full-length recording (which in no way diminishes his lifetime body of work, as a whole.)

Just a few thoughts... to help illustrate that there indeed different perspectives on this subject.

David
David DelGrosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
100, album, albums, audio, blogspot, boingo, cd, max, midnight, oingo, quality, sound, top, vultures, webster